DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rules Apply In Australia

Nickfojo

Reactions
Hi Forum,

I work for CASA in Australia. We just finished this little video to help get the word out to drone flyers that rules apply when you fly, anywhere in Australia. Please feel free to share and get back to me if you have any questions.

Thanks - Nick

No flying at night? That's a shame. I see a lot of nice night shots, cityscape and car light streaks.
Stay away from wildlife? Someone from CASA told me it wasn't under CASA's jurisdiction, but environment/wildlife department. But it's true not to harass wildlife, which should be common sense.

Reactions: Kilrah
good vid
I prefer the other one

where are you based Nick?
I work with Drones in Education and conduct training for the RePL and the Cert3 Aviation.

anzacjack - I'm based in the Sydney office. Glad you liked the grown-ups one better, this one is aimed at the kids who are unaware of the rules that apply to them. Please feel free to spread the word. Cheers - Nick

I wasn't planning to get RePL, since I am flying for recreation (MP and Spark, so sub 2kg). But if want to fly at night and near wildlife, perhaps I should look into getting RePL. What's the initial and ongoing cost of getting one in Australia?

Reactions: Prado man
I did some research and it didn't make sense to get RePL. The flow chart to whether it's needs, for my purpose means I dont need one. But a blanket no flying after dark is a bit disappointing.
I mean, if you dont have lights on the drone and you can't see it, it's crazy to even think of flying it. But the MP has got 3 bright blinking lights, so you can tell which way it's going. And there's attachments to add torch lights.

Yup, agreed. If you wack some strobes on it, there should be no reason at all that you cant fly at night. So long as you and anybody else can see it.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would fly without being able to see their drone with their own eyes. And the camera won't be able to pick up anything in the dark, unless it's pointing to some light source. I was thinking a nice shot of the moon at the beach with the city in the foreground a few km away would make a nice photo.
And I was looking forward for my glow-in-the-dark tape to arrive, stick them on my MP and see how it looks in the dark. But I guess that's against the rules in OZ. :(

anzacjack - I'm based in the Sydney office. Glad you liked the grown-ups one better, this one is aimed at the kids who are unaware of the rules that apply to them. Please feel free to spread the word. Cheers - Nick
Thanks,
I’ll be showing this vid on school visits we do. I’m finding more and more kids are getting their hands on quality drones and I think it would be useful to spread the good word on rules

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121