DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

S7 Edge vs iPad Mini 4

rotorwingpilot24

Reactions
Hey all, I have been trying to find a clear answer (if one exists), and I am finding that to be more difficult than expected. I currently have an S7 Edge which I use to fly my MP. Knock on wood, I have not had any issues with crashing or delay or anything. In all, I would say it works great. However, I have been tossing around the idea of getting an iPad mini 4, solely for the use with my MP. I think that I understand the WiFi only and cellular capable differences, and although I wouldn't use cellular, it sounds like it is most convenient with mapping/home point.

I am not at all an iOS guy and I don't plan to switch my day to day stuff to iOS, but I think a dedicated device is the way to go and that's where I need help. I sure appreciate any advice guidance you are able to provide.

Happy Flying, cheers!

I have been tossing around the idea of getting an iPad mini 4, solely for the use with my MP. I think that I understand the WiFi only and cellular capable differences, and although I wouldn't use cellular, it sounds like it is most convenient with mapping/home point.
Only cellular Apple mobile device models have GPS. You do not have to activate the cell service in order to use the GPS. The DJI GO app currently only requires GPS on an Apple device when using the Follow Me flight mode or to reset the home point to your current location if you've moved elsewhere after taking off. If you're going to use a Wi-Fi only Apple device, you could attach a Bluetooth GPS receiver (like one of these) to add GPS later if needed.

Go for it, you will see how great and stable an iOS device is. I was an avid Windows PC, Android phone user and then got an iTouch several years ago. It work so great, when I needed to replace my desk top, I got a MacMini, I was so impressed with how the iTouch and MacMini interfaced and how stable both devices were, my next purchase was an iPad2, then a MacAir, then an iPhone, then all of the above from my wife. Welcome to the Dark Side. You will never regret it.

I went the other way. (Mostly because I'm a cheapskate. I don't have anything against Apple except paying way too much for kind of not up-to-date tech: :)) I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8" and replaced Samsung's software with LineageOS. At the time the S2 was US$250 and an equivalent Mini 4 was over $500. It's been rock solid, fits in the RC holder just fine and hasn't let me down. One thing I will say though is that the Android USB thing is a bit of a pain. For example, I run GO 4 and Drone Harmony. When I first set everything up I could switch back and forth between the two apps at will. Since the last GO 4 update I can go from Drone Harmony to Go 4 but not the other way. My guess is that DJI changed something in their developer kit that DH hadn't caught up on yet. Otherwise it's been great.

I had been flying my MP with an iPhone X which worked good, but screen felt a bit small. Smallness was exasperated in the bright sun, which is pretty much the norm here in Arizona.

To help with sunlight I bought dji Goggles which are fantastic in even the brightest sun. But I soon realized I wouldn’t use them all the time.

So last weekend I picked up an iPad mini 4, 16GB WiFi-only. I was lucky and got it for $99 from Walmart (demo clearance). I didn’t care that it didn’t have gps since I hardly ever used tracking with my phone (well actually never used it with my MP). The 16 GB was fine as this was going to be dedicated only to my MP.

I will say that, based on the glowing reports I have read about the mini 4 and MP, my initial reaction was that the screen was not as bright as I had expected. It was about the same as my phone. I thought maybe it was due to the mini 4 being a demo so I compared to a brand new mini 4 and it was the same.

BUT, when actually using the mini 4 outside with my MP I quickly found it was noticeably easier to see as well as more room to “tap.” Even though the overall screen wasn’t brighter than my phone’s, since there was much more screen, I could see better.

I recommend it. Runs Litci well too.

Mike

Last edited:
Go for it, you will see how great and stable an iOS device is. I was an avid Windows PC, Android phone user and then got an iTouch several years ago. It work so great, when I needed to replace my desk top, I got a MacMini, I was so impressed with how the iTouch and MacMini interfaced and how stable both devices were, my next purchase was an iPad2, then a MacAir, then an iPhone, then all of the above from my wife. Welcome to the Dark Side. You will never regret it.
I don't really understand mac users. You are paying 2 or 3 grand for a PC that I can build for less than a thousand. My sisters thousand dollar mac can't even playback 4k footage while I can edit on my $450 acer. If everything in your house is Mac then it makes sense perhaps, but otherwise your just overpaying for good hardware.

The only reason I bought a mini 4 was to use as a dedicated screen because DJI runs better on apple devices probably because they have some sort of deal.

I went the other way. (Mostly because I'm a cheapskate. I don't have anything against Apple except paying way too much for kind of not up-to-date tech: :)) I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8" and replaced Samsung's software with LineageOS. At the time the S2 was US$250 and an equivalent Mini 4 was over $500. It's been rock solid, fits in the RC holder just fine and hasn't let me down. One thing I will say though is that the Android USB thing is a bit of a pain. For example, I run GO 4 and Drone Harmony. When I first set everything up I could switch back and forth between the two apps at will. Since the last GO 4 update I can go from Drone Harmony to Go 4 but not the other way. My guess is that DJI changed something in their developer kit that DH hadn't caught up on yet. Otherwise it's been great.
@MadVadvalley. If you install an app like "BK Manager" then you can totally disable any apps on your system at will. This tricks the system into thinking there is only one app installed that should be opened according to what's plugged into the micro USB port or OTG.
You can even set widgets on home screen for individual apps for easy on off so you can easily swap from one to other. This is super nessasary on Samsung devices as you cannot have other apps installed along with DJI Go4 but BK Manager eliminates the problem.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d