DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sad day....drone gone :(

Ok is anybody on this forum had a claim that paid 100% of the cost of the drone???? I bet not......
Yes i had my p4 and all accessories insured last year for 1500$ 4 months later had to use them i paid 60 for the year ....anyway told them my story everything was quick and smooth ....from pics they said they will not attempt to repair it or send it out for repair so they sent me a $1,500 check a week and a half later I got that check and got a phantom 4 Pro a week after that State Farm cancelled me on my pa policy....so yea sf not really worth it....seems like ya get one get out of jail card and your done.... I can 100% see State Farm being done with drone Insurance very soon.....r1mavic if u still have state farm (for pa policy) a few weeks after this claim I would be very surprised you will probably find out when you go to put your new drone on a personal articles policy in the future with them again... or they will just mail you a letter.

You actually aren't insuring a drone,it's personal articles they don't have an actual drone insurance
Really...... no duh what he is saying is you will not be able to insure your drone under a personal articles policy State Farm will probably be done with this pretty soon

It's been raining like crazy here....all the rivers are overflowing, so I decided to go capture it. I was hovering about 3ft above the river and I began following it. I was so intrigued with what I was seeing that I lost track of where I was. I didn't know what was above me. I turned around and started coming back. I thought I was at an opening, so I entered sport mode and went straight up. It hit a branch and I watched it splash into the rushing river. F#@$$!!!!!!!!!!
Beautiful thing is I had it insured, so I'll get my money back. I am not sure I will buy another MA though. Will wait out the MP2.

I will be selling the Fly More combo bag, remote, ND filters, charger, cables and 3 batteries. Message me with respectable offers.

How much for bags batteries and bits please my friend...?

Every time somebody posted something about getting State Farm Insurance I used to reply with a quote from a local State Farm agent. That agent said that if you file a claim for a personal articles floater that claim will get entered into the Nexis Lexis Choicepoint database.

That is like a credit reporting agency for insurance risk. And it means that any future risk premium calculations, whether for State Farm or any other insurer, will take that claim into account.

That State Farm agent basically warned me that such a claim would very likely raise future premiums. She said that if I was a long-term State Farm customer, it would likely not affect the premium, but if I was someone who shopped for new insurance every year, it would increase the premium.

So, according to her, if you jump ship and go to another insurer that claim will haunt you. To me a $1,000 policy didn't justify that premium increase risk.

People keep asking how does State Farm justify spending $1,000 on a $70 claim? The answer is quite simple. If they can use that claim as a pretext to blemished your risk rating, they have the justification to raise your rates. It's the same reason that Geico auto insurance donates millions of dollars of radar and laser speed detection equipment to local police municipalities across the country.

At some point I stopped writing all this as a response to people who bragged about the State Farm policy. I hate to wave the I-told-you-so flag, but at this point I think it's pretty obvious what's happening.

Every time somebody posted something about getting State Farm Insurance I used to reply with a quote from a local State Farm agent. That agent said that if you file a claim for a personal articles floater that claim will get entered into the Nexis Lexis Choicepoint database.

That is like a credit reporting agency for insurance risk. And it means that any future risk premium calculations, whether for State Farm or any other insurer, will take that claim into account.

That State Farm agent basically warned me that such a claim would very likely raise future premiums. She said that if I was a long-term State Farm customer, it would likely not affect the premium, but if I was someone who shopped for new insurance every year, it would increase the premium.

So, according to her, if you jump ship and go to another insurer that claim will haunt you. To me a $1,000 policy didn't justify that premium increase risk.

People keep asking how does State Farm justify spending $1,000 on a $70 claim? The answer is quite simple. If they can use that claim as a pretext to blemished your risk rating, they have the justification to raise your rates. It's the same reason that Geico auto insurance donates millions of dollars of radar and laser speed detection equipment to local police municipalities across the country.

At some point I stopped writing all this as a response to people who bragged about the State Farm policy. I hate to wave the I-told-you-so flag, but at this point I think it's pretty obvious what's happening.

Exactly. It's all fun and games now when you get your check for $1000 but you'll be an assigned risk for future insurance policies. I have State Farm for my homeowners policy. I did get the coverage ($35/year for me in Pennsylvania) and I had this discussion with my agent. He did state that one claim probably wouldn't hit me as long as I stayed with State Farm but multiple claims would definitely have an effect on my State Farm policy and would also affect my ability to get low rates with another carrier if I moved my business. Underwriters like when their clients have stability and stick around for the long term. If you hop from carrier to carrier, you're going to have higher rates overall. For the small amount of $35, I decided to get it as a safety net. I'm still not sure I'll file a claim if something happens...it just depends on my situation at that time.

That is the best response I’ve read! I want everything to keep my risk man agent low!!!

This is how I look at it, but I don't pretend that my view is the only one or right for everyone:

DJI Refresh is relatively expensive, has a deductible, doesn't cover loss or theft, and is only good for the first year. State Farm is more affordable, has no deductible, covers loss and theft, covers full replacement (new), and can be renewed after 1 year. When considering these things alone, obviously State Farm is the better option.

However, there is certainly some ambiguity regarding State Farm's claim risk... it's clear that they will pay with no questions asked, but it's not entirely clear how it will affect your insurance with State Farm or others. But let's assume for the sake of argument that there can be some effect on your insurability. For someone who thought they could just be reckless and make multiple claims with no adverse consequences, then this plan is probably not worth the risk. Let's assume it carries with it the same amount of risk as your car insurance. If you take out a policy covering your car and you total it within a month or two, the insurance company is not going to be happy with you, especially if you are a new customer or don't have multiple lines with them. If you have multiple wrecks in a relatively short amount of time, the same would be true. But if you have a little fender bender once in a while, or perhaps you have to make a claim for hail damage or something like that, it's likely not going to cause any problems, especially if you've been with them a while or have multiple lines.

So I considered my relationship with State Farm before deciding to get the PAP with them covering my drone. First of all, I don't plan on using it and I am a pretty safe flier. I have been flying my P3S for over a year without needing it to be repaired or replaced (though I did need some new props). I plan to take equally as good care of my Mavic Air. But accidents can happen. If I do need to make a claim on my Mavic Air, I would not hesitate to do so. We've had relatively few claims in the 22 years we've been with State Farm, and they have never raised our rates or canceled anything on us for the relatively minor claims we've made. There is no doubt in my mind that a $1000 claim on my drone is not going to raise my rates or cause me to be at a higher risk. If I did that multiple times in a short period of time, then yes, and you should expect that to be the case because they are an insurance company.

So for some, that is not a risk they are willing to take. Then by all means, go with DJI Refresh or just wing it. Personally, however, I am glad I have the peace of mind that my $1000 Mavic Air is covered against things that DJI will not cover. I know that if I were to have a major incident, there's a very good possibility it's going to result in the loss of the drone (whether I fly over water, it gets stolen, etc). If in the course of a year I have not needed to make a claim, then $60 is a small price to pay for that peace of mind. If in that time I do need to make a claim, I will subsequently re-evaluate whether I want to insure the new drone with the same PAP (or if they cancel the PAP).

As a long-time customer of State Farm with car, life, and homeowner's insurance with them, I am absolutely confident that a one-time $1000 drone claim is not going to raise my rates or put me at high risk. Heck, we've had to make a claim for more than that when my wife backed out of our garage and hit a car in our alley. There were no questions asked, there were no rate increases, and it did not affect our ability to obtain other policies. Now if that happened every year, then yes, it could very well begin to affect our relationship with them. And the same could be true of the PAP... if you make a one-time claim as a long-time customer, it will likely have no effect... but if you start losing drones every few months then the State Farm policy is probably not for you. And for those of you thinking of using this policy to make a fraudulent claim just get another drone when a new one comes out, then shame on you because you will ruin it for everyone (and yes, I have read stories of this happening).

Reactions: Verizondrone28
Exactly. It's all fun and games now when you get your check for $1000 but you'll be an assigned risk for future insurance policies. I have State Farm for my homeowners policy. I did get the coverage ($35/year for me in Pennsylvania) and I had this discussion with my agent. He did state that one claim probably wouldn't hit me as long as I stayed with State Farm but multiple claims would definitely have an effect on my State Farm policy and would also affect my ability to get low rates with another carrier if I moved my business. Underwriters like when their clients have stability and stick around for the long term. If you hop from carrier to carrier, you're going to have higher rates overall. For the small amount of $35, I decided to get it as a safety net. I'm still not sure I'll file a claim if something happens...it just depends on my situation at that time.

I don't know about needing multiple claims to affect premiums. Who would have thought a single claim would have caused SF to drop a 30 year loyal customer?

The point of my post is that there is no free lunch and insurance companies will look for every opportunity to increase premiums. They are, after all, a for-profit company looking out for their shareholders. Once they enter your claim in ChoicePoint, it'll be a gift that keeps on giving even if you move on to another insurer.

I don't know about needing multiple claims to affect premiums. Who would have thought a single claim would have caused SF to drop a 30 year loyal customer?

The point of my post is that there is no free lunch and insurance companies will look for every opportunity to increase premiums. They are, after all, a for-profit company looking out for their shareholders. Once they enter your claim in ChoicePoint, it'll be a gift that keeps on giving even if you move on to another insurer.

Unless something has changed very recently, that story of them dropping a 30-year loyal customer seems to be an anomaly. Over on the Phantom Pilots site (and others) there are many stories issue-free claims through State Farm. Unless there was another reason to drop a customer, it doesn't make any sense for an insurance company to drop a long-term multiple-line customer for a $1000 claim. Either 1) it's just an anomaly, 2) there's more to the story, or 3) they have only recently changed their response to PAP claims. My agent told me straight up that a claim on my PAP would not affect any of my other insurance, and I will believe him until I have reason not to. I would like to take a balanced view of this: on one hand, I do not believe that making PAP claims has zero impact on your insurability, but on the other hand, I also do not believe that State Farm is going to just start dropping long-term customers for one $1000 PAP claim either. I am not worried, and it my fortune is good, I won't have to use it anyway. I mean that's the plan with any type of insurance or additional warranty - you hope to never have to use it, but it's a get-out-jail-free card if you need it one time.

I have no stake in convincing someone either way... State Farm just made the most sense for me. I can certainly understand the hesitation that some owners feel.

This is how I look at it, but I don't pretend that my view is the only one or right for everyone:

DJI Refresh is relatively expensive, has a deductible, doesn't cover loss or theft, and is only good for the first year. State Farm is more affordable, has no deductible, covers loss and theft, covers full replacement (new), and can be renewed after 1 year. When considering these things alone, obviously State Farm is the better option.

However, there is certainly some ambiguity regarding State Farm's claim risk... it's clear that they will pay with no questions asked, but it's not entirely clear how it will affect your insurance with State Farm or others. But let's assume for the sake of argument that there can be some effect on your insurability. For someone who thought they could just be reckless and make multiple claims with no adverse consequences, then this plan is probably not worth the risk. Let's assume it carries with it the same amount of risk as your car insurance. If you take out a policy covering your car and you total it within a month or two, the insurance company is not going to be happy with you, especially if you are a new customer or don't have multiple lines with them. If you have multiple wrecks in a relatively short amount of time, the same would be true. But if you have a little fender bender once in a while, or perhaps you have to make a claim for hail damage or something like that, it's likely not going to cause any problems, especially if you've been with them a while or have multiple lines.

So I considered my relationship with State Farm before deciding to get the PAP with them covering my drone. First of all, I don't plan on using it and I am a pretty safe flier. I have been flying my P3S for over a year without needing it to be repaired or replaced (though I did need some new props). I plan to take equally as good care of my Mavic Air. But accidents can happen. If I do need to make a claim on my Mavic Air, I would not hesitate to do so. We've had relatively few claims in the 22 years we've been with State Farm, and they have never raised our rates or canceled anything on us for the relatively minor claims we've made. There is no doubt in my mind that a $1000 claim on my drone is not going to raise my rates or cause me to be at a higher risk. If I did that multiple times in a short period of time, then yes, and you should expect that to be the case because they are an insurance company.

So for some, that is not a risk they are willing to take. Then by all means, go with DJI Refresh or just wing it. Personally, however, I am glad I have the peace of mind that my $1000 Mavic Air is covered against things that DJI will not cover. I know that if I were to have a major incident, there's a very good possibility it's going to result in the loss of the drone (whether I fly over water, it gets stolen, etc). If in the course of a year I have not needed to make a claim, then $60 is a small price to pay for that peace of mind. If in that time I do need to make a claim, I will subsequently re-evaluate whether I want to insure the new drone with the same PAP (or if they cancel the PAP).

As a long-time customer of State Farm with car, life, and homeowner's insurance with them, I am absolutely confident that a one-time $1000 drone claim is not going to raise my rates or put me at high risk. Heck, we've had to make a claim for more than that when my wife backed out of our garage and hit a car in our alley. There were no questions asked, there were no rate increases, and it did not affect our ability to obtain other policies. Now if that happened every year, then yes, it could very well begin to affect our relationship with them. And the same could be true of the PAP... if you make a one-time claim as a long-time customer, it will likely have no effect... but if you start losing drones every few months then the State Farm policy is probably not for you. And for those of you thinking of using this policy to make a fraudulent claim just get another drone when a new one comes out, then shame on you because you will ruin it for everyone (and yes, I have read stories of this happening).

My sentiments exactly. I’m a 14-year customer of State Farm (homeowners, life, auto) and got the PAP as a last resort solution. I also got the DJI Care Refresh. The Air is my first drone so it’s possible that I could have an accident but I’m careful where and when I fly. I’d definitely exercise the Care Refresh policy before going to State Farm to file a claim. Even though one claim may not affect me, I’d just rather not have a claim on my record. That’s worth the $69 deductible with DJI (as long as I have my drone to return).

Bump
Getting SF Tuesday for 3 Drones
Let us no what happens pls

My sentiments exactly. I’m a 14-year customer of State Farm (homeowners, life, auto) and got the PAP as a last resort solution. I also got the DJI Care Refresh. The Air is my first drone so it’s possible that I could have an accident but I’m careful where and when I fly. I’d definitely exercise the Care Refresh policy before going to State Farm to file a claim. Even though one claim may not affect me, I’d just rather not have a claim on my record. That’s worth the $69 deductible with DJI (as long as I have my drone to return).

Yep, that's certainly a viable way to go as well and covers you completely. It's the most expensive option, but also the least risky. DJI Refresh is $89 + first replacement fee of $69 + $60 State Farm policy (or cheaper depending on the state you're in) = $218 at most, depending on whether you'd make a claim with SF instead of a replacement with DJI. If you ended up just making a claim with SF if you lost your drone, you still only paid $149 vs the full $218. And if you have your drone, then you've paid $158 if you make a claim with Refresh and need not worry about affecting SF insurance. For me, I didn't go this route because I believe my chances are much higher of having a non-covered accident (loss, theft, etc). But I definitely agree this is a good all-around solution.

Bump
Getting SF Tuesday for 3 Drones
Let us no what happens pls
I have already. They covered it no question.

I appreciate the message about the claim haunting me in the future, but that's a risk you take with any claim. I got the policy to cover my drone, I crashed my drone into a river and I needed to leverage the policy. I'm not going to pay any company for coverage and then be scared to use it when I need to.
I will say I am reluctant to buy another drone. I don't see it being this simple a second time.

When i got my PA policy from State Farm, it was for a $1500 Typhoon H and a $500 camera. Cost me $48 dollars for the year. When I got my Air, it cost something like an additional $22 a year. I don't have any other policy with them. I asked the agent about what the consequences of filling a claim would be and he said filling one claim probably wouldn't affect your insurability rating, but any more claims probably would. I have never had a claimable loss in all of my years of flying (Helis, planes, drones). Not that i haven't crashed...I've crashed plenty of times and don't even want to think about the money that I've spent on repairs. However, I figure if I do file a claim on my drones, it would be a rare event and a final solution. I am not going to fly carelessly and will make every attempt NOT to file a claim and if SF does drop me because of a claim, so be it.
I am sure that the bean counters at State Farm know what they're doing. It is all about marketing. I wouldn't think that they would just arbitrarily underwrite drone coverage for such a relatively loss cost without calculating their risk.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2