DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sail GP Grand Prix

SkyPath Studios

Reactions
Hello,

I’m wondering if it is legal to drone the sail gp Grand Prix in Chicago. I’ve seen Johnny fpv get some footage. I understand it can’t be done from navy pier or over people, but is this allowed on regular public property or by boat?

Short answer NO
  • Attendees shall not make, create, store, record or transmit any kind of sound recording, visual footage, image and/or description of the racing (as well as any result and/or statistics of the race) (the “Recording”) other than for personal, private use or use on social media channels for personal and non-commercial, non-journalistc and/or non-news reporting purposes and in each case not more than 30 seconds continuous footage of any one race. Save as listed above, it is strictly forbidden to disseminate over the internet, radio, television or any other current and/or future media, any sound, image, description, or result and/or statistics of the racing in whole or in part, or assist any other person(s) conducting such activities including without limitation for commercial, news reporting or journalistic use. Each Attendee must not: (a) sell, assign, transfer or license the copyright in photographs and/or video taken at the Venues; or (b) publish, disseminate or reproduce such photographs for any commercial, news reporting or journalistic purpose.
  • On SailGP’s request, Attendees shall assign to SailGP the copyright and all other intellectual property rights in any Recording and all Attendees consent to use of the Recording by SailGP (and any third parties authorised by SailGP) on or in connection with any publication, exhibition or broadcast, promotional literature, campaign or material in any media worldwide. Attendees waive any personality, privacy and moral rights or similar in any Recording.

Short answer NO
  • Attendees shall not make, create, store, record or transmit any kind of sound recording, visual footage, image and/or description of the racing (as well as any result and/or statistics of the race) (the “Recording”) other than for personal, private use or use on social media channels for personal and non-commercial, non-journalistc and/or non-news reporting purposes and in each case not more than 30 seconds continuous footage of any one race.................
I'd love to see that tested in court, surely the water is public domain and therefore a race organisation can not limit filming of it.
Surely it's the equivalent of saying that you can not film the Manx TT or any other road race or rally, be that a vehicle race or marathon/cross-country etc. ?

Reactions: Cafguy
I'd love to see that tested in court, surely the water is public domain and therefore a race organisation can not limit filming of it.
Surely it's the equivalent of saying that you can not film the Manx TT or any other road race or rally, be that a vehicle race or marathon/cross-country etc. ?
That’s what I’m thinking lol

I think this would only apply IF you purchased a ticket to be in attendance.
I don't see how they could do such a thing otherwise.
That would make sense

Reactions: Cafguy
I just checked...To fly your drone in these areas of Chicago may present a problem do to public safety...You will probably meet an officer. lol.
NOW if you want to Do a commercial Drone shoot.....Get ready for the parade of required paperwork!!! Click on the Film application permit link for a SURPRISE!

Reactions: SkyPath Studios
I bet you wouldnt have a problem unless you somehow interfeared ( I don't think you would) legally you would be fine I bet Your only problem would be some overzealous security person or of course the many karens you may meet.
Just remember to NOT buy a ticket and NOT sit in the stands lol.

Reactions: SkyPath Studios
I just checked...To fly your drone in these areas of Chicago may present a problem do to public safety...You will probably meet an officer. lol.
NOW if you want to Do a commercial Drone shoot.....Get ready for the parade of required paperwork!!! Click on the Film application permit link for a SURPRISE!
Yep I’ll take a pass on that paperwork! LOL. I’d be doing it just for some neat footage on social media.

Yep I’ll take a pass on that paperwork! LOL. I’d be doing it just for some neat footage on social media.
At first I thought I had found the Website for the North Korean town of Chicago..If you read thru the MANY ridiculous rules you will notice that If : You are anyone in your crew is caught cursing or using "improper" language They will pull your permit and send you on your way.
...This is Chicago USA?.....Right?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdavidsimpson