DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Salaries for Ag Drone Pilots

Fred Paris

Reactions
So in looking at the various pay models for agriculture drone pilots, in OHIO, - these guys take a spray trailer to various fields and mix and spray all day using T30s. The starting pay is about $45k a year with a kicker of $5000 when you get your 107, 55 lb plus, and the state pesticide license. I'm not sure if this model would work here in Massachusetts. Might be a good place to start.

Each trailer has two people one mapping and flying and the other changing batteries, refilling the drone, and acting as the required spotter when the drone is flying.

So the challenge is to find the nerdy kind of employees that love the business, like to get up very early every day, really enjoy mapping and spray calculations, and want to fly the big boys.

I'm open to perspectives?

Like any business, supply and demand is key to success. If there is a need in your area for this type of work, you may do well. Keep in mind there is competition out there. Do your homework. Research what is already available.

When doing your business plan don't forget to factor in the size of the fields being sprayed. At some point the size of the field will be better suited economically to be sprayed by manned aviation. There is a sweet spot on field size for this.

Other items that must be addressed is a full understanding of the weather in regards to application. Inversions being present are a big no go for pesticide application. You will waste product, have it go to unintended areas and possibly contaminate people/things.

Yea, inversions can be an issue - I remember that from pesticide school.
In some instances the weather can ruin your plans.

We might not want to spray some products if we know its going to rain in the next two days.
So thats 2 days to work in the shop. Some mornings look great, but by 8:30 the wind is up and you go home till later.

In the mornings, you hold off mixing until you are sure you can spray. Some of this stuff doesn't stay active very long after its mixed.

Between loading, mixing, drive time, rain, wind, I expect if we can get 30% productive over a week thats good.

Only some of the variables that go into pricing projects.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CosmicCruiser