DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Salt Water damaged mavic

SAc415

Reactions
Crashed my drone in the bay.. LUCKILY FOUND IT! Unluckily a few days later dried up and ruined. What to do with it now? Just throw it out? Can I sell it or anything. First drone. Probably will just stick with non flying go pros..

You could put it on ebay for spares I guess.
Items like the folding arms and shell might be reused.
You still have controller and probably more batteries, you can buy Mavic only, or sell the controller to someone who dropped theirs and buy the whole thing new.

I read on here that a guy retrieved his from fresh water and with the aid of rice dried it out and it works. so don't turn it on or attempt to charge the battery. Remove the battery and take the casing off rinse all the salt off important. then place it all unassembled in to a large bag of rice, seal it in a bag and put it in a warm place for a few days. then clean it up and hairdryer the bits before re assembly. try it with a different battery. Rice is hydroscopic and adsorbs moisture . good luck.

I read on here that a guy retrieved his from fresh water and with the aid of rice dried it out and it works. so don't turn it on or attempt to charge the battery. Remove the battery and take the casing off rinse all the salt off important. then place it all unassembled in to a large bag of rice, seal it in a bag and put it in a warm place for a few days. then clean it up and hairdryer the bits before re assembly. try it with a different battery. Rice is hydroscopic and adsorbs moisture . good luck.
Best not to rinse in my experience, spot clean, as you can make it penetrate deeper causing damage in places you can't get to

Funny enough just read in another thread: Submerge in pure alcohol (but not whisky or any other liquid outpricing the mavic ;)) which forces out salt water.. never tried but will do if I end up in the sea again.

These tips only for still water only like river, pool, lake, not for salt water.

An other guy use inflammable alcohol... He revival his mavic from a 2 meters deep sea sunk

I have a related question:
I am a diver and my instructor fiend has several drones he's recovered from salt water. he sent me Two Mavic Air to sell for parts on eBay. I know people buy the body to use for warranty replacement (presumably Care Refresh when they own unit flew away).
We don't know how long they were under and he's had them a while since (uncleaned). I doubt they are salvageable as a whole. What I'd like to know is what other parts may be salvageable besides the main body and propellers?

I know people buy the body to use for warranty replacement (presumably Care Refresh when they own unit flew away).

I don't think that'd get past DJI at all.

What I'd like to know is what other parts may be salvageable besides the main body and propellers?

I'm thinking plastic parts maybe ok, moreso if a particular drone is now obsolete and hard to find those parts.
Other things like an ND filters, salt may affect the glass / coatings, of course electronics are all finished.
A body as such think lucky to get maybe $10 or $20 for one. (AUD, that's about US$1, lol).

I'm thinking plastic parts maybe ok, moreso if a particular drone is now obsolete and hard to find those parts.
Other things like an ND filters, salt may affect the glass / coatings, of course electronics are all finished.
A body as such think lucky to get maybe $10 or $20 for one. (AUD, that's about US$1, lol).

yers. i'm sure it's the plastic parts only. but I haven't take one aprt before and not sure what the parts are valuable.
Asking before I go spending time taking them apart.

Aircraft numbers not matching the pilots registration records, flight sync details etc.
I was wondering about that part, but saw a bunch of them for sale on eBay. Don't seem to be finding now, though. So either i misunderstood something or the need for the has gone away now that DJI started offering Fly-Away coverage too.

So are these worth anything?

Attachments

• 185897225_785789122324691_6686575347659208144_n.jpg
    185897225_785789122324691_6686575347659208144_n.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 13
Crashed my drone in the bay.. LUCKILY FOUND IT! Unluckily a few days later dried up and ruined. What to do with it now? Just throw it out? Can I sell it or anything. First drone. Probably will just stick with non flying go pros..

Welcome to the Forum ,

If Get a chance just post a Picture of the Mavic Pro in the Classified section , people will appreciate the honesty and if there is any worth you will get it here. You might have to confirm yourself as a member first...

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the RAIN.

I was wondering about that part, but saw a bunch of them for sale on eBay. Don't seem to be finding now, though. So either i misunderstood something or the need for the has gone away now that DJI started offering Fly-Away coverage too.

So are these worth anything?

To be honest, I don't think they'd be worth anything, not to your average drone pilot, possibly a repair place for obsolete parts they might not be able to now source, and can use (shell parts mostly).

Even the props aren't really worth spending time on.
The Air props are AUD$12 a pair, so set of 4 for AUD $24 (about US$18.70), so with possible fine damage / stress, or even just the time to clean them up, I know most would rather get new genuine for the small cost (vital part of the aircraft in flight).

Don't want to rain on your parade regarding possible sale of such items, just being honest about value of them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998