DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sample Question for Part 107 - Georgetown Airport

Luvs2Fly

Reactions
Hi, I hope you can help me understand the answer to this question. The question is:
Q: In figure below, Area 1. The floor of Class E airspace above Georgetown Airport (E36) is at:
a. At the Surface
b. 700 feet AGL
c. 3,823 feet MSL

So the correct answer according to the test guide is C: 3,823 feet MSL.

So my question is that I thought E36 is Class G because there is no shaded magenta or blue or it is is not even inside
any dotted line. So if it is class G airspace, shouldn't the floor be the surface? So I am confused why the question
said E36 is Class E. I consulted some information on E36 and the airspace is "Unknown".

Here is the image (below).

If there is shaded blue on E36, then the floor would be 3,823 feet MSL because that shaded blue goes 1200 feet and up.

Very confusing...

1602608641541.png

I believe it is because class E airspace extends laterally 4 mi from victor airways. It looks like that point might be close enough to the V6 IFR airway.

I believe it is because class E airspace extends laterally 4 mi from victor airways. It looks like that point might be close enough to the V6 IFR airway.
But I thought the Victor airways are just there to show the routes between VORs. In the sectional chart it is those blue/magenta solid and dotted lines and the shades that determine the airspace and so determines the floor and ceilings. Maybe they should have shaded E36 with a blue shade? :) Still confusing to me...

But I thought the Victor airways are just there to show the routes between VORs. In the sectional chart it is those blue/magenta solid and dotted lines and the shades that determine the airspace and so determines the floor and ceilings. Maybe they should have shaded E36 with a blue shade? :) Still confusing to me...
Class E airspace includes an area 4 miles on either side of victor airways.

And the answer is...

Georgetown airport is in Class G airspace. Since there is no magenta shaded line, Class E airspace begins at 1200 AGL. So the airport elevation is 2,623 ft. MSL. Therefore, 2623 MSL + 1200 = 3823 MSL to the floor of Class E airspace above the airport.

Last edited:
And the answer is...

Georgetown airport is in Class G airspace. Since there is no magenta shaded line, Class E airspace begins at 1200 AGL. So the airport elevation is 2,623 ft. MSL. Therefore, 2623 MSL + 1200 = 3623 MSL to the floor of Class E airspace above the airport.
Yeah, that was the explanation given in the sample test question... I was just confused because it was airspace G and then the question was about E. I looked at the FAA Airspace definitions and it seems there is some interplay between Class G and Class E so the answer is probably correct. Thanks for the reply :)

Answer C can be the only correct answer.

a. At the Surface - In Class E this would be a dotted magenta line.
b. 700 feet AGL - Again, in Class E this would be a shaded magenta line

c. 3,823 feet MSL - Airport elevation depicted is 3623 MSL, and Class E in this case starts at 1200' AGL, so 3623 + 1200 is 3823 MSL.

If the question asked for class G then yes, the floor would be the surface (sfc-400')

Answer C can be the only correct answer.

If the question asked for class G then yes, the floor would be the surface (sfc-400')

First, good post Marty.

Second, I see in my post #9 above that my basic hurried math skills were... somewhat lacking. LOL. answer : 3823 MSL. (I've tried to go back and correct it. not sure it took.)

Third, your statement about class G being sfc- 400'. I think in this case, Class G would be sfc-1200', since this isn't a E2 (sfc area class E airport), or E5 (magenta shaded class E) situation. HOWEVER, you're still limited to the 400' flight rule.

Still a good post.

Reactions: Luvs2Fly
First, good post Marty.

Second, I see in my post #9 above that my basic hurried math skills were... somewhat lacking. LOL. answer : 3823 MSL. (I've tried to go back and correct it. not sure it took.)

Third, your statement about class G being sfc- 400'. I think in this case, Class G would be sfc-1200', since this isn't a E2 (sfc area class E airport), or E5 (magenta shaded class E) situation. HOWEVER, you're still limited to the 400' flight rule.

Still a good post.
Yes, thanks to Marty and Sam I finally understood the answer to this question. And it's good understanding this as it gets confusing when the question is not as straightforward as with BCD airspaces. Regards.

First, good post Marty.

Still a good post.
LOL; sorry about the class G and 400' (I was thinking flight restrictions for drones).

You are correct!!!!!

Reactions: samt2 and Luvs2Fly
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS