DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Samsung S8+ serious overheating & black screen

Palliz

Reactions
Anyone else flying Mavic with S8+ have the same problem I am experiencing with overheating?
It seems that the controller is always charging from the S8+ as soon as it is connected which must contribute to the overheating problem so I set the charging rate at normal as opposed to fast rapid/fast charge.
Screen res is FHD+ 2220x1080 (medium) I live in bright hot climate so need the screen to be optimum brightness just to see the terrain.
Can't believe I paid so much for a new phone that overheats flying just one battery - screen goes black & cannot open back the phone..........although still can control the Mavic to get it to home.
Any way to stop the controller sucking battery from the S8+ at all ? Possibly a cable from the S8+ to the USB port would stop the controller charging ???
I could fly out 4 batteries with my old Note 3 & it NEVER overheated!!!!
Would appreciate your input guys & I apologise if this has been discussed before - would like the link to any solutions to this problem if it has been discussed before & MOST importantly addressed the problem with a solution.............thanks

Which version of the app? I had a similar issue with the Sony xz using 4.1.3, I've been recommended to use 4.1.8 but haven't tried it yet

I'm using the S8 not the S8+ but I haven't had any overheating issues. I go through several batteries without any problems.

I have the s8 plus I have it freeze once in a while but I usually have it in battery saver mode and have not had any problems with it overheating.

There is a setting. I think battery saver. It will change the screen resolution to a more manageable level and should reduce the heat from the GPU and from full brightness

Try plugging into the bottom usb port with a different usb a to b style cable.
Also, make sure you have nothing running in the background on the Sammysung, kill all running apps.

Reactions: JustViewerFun
Sorry to hear about your troubles Palliz. But wanted to say thank you for telling me about being able to change the battery setting. Didn't realize you could change that. I got a note 8 and flew one battery and it dropped my remote controller battery super fast. So I'm hoping that will slow the draw down

I really think this is all due to Samsung / Apple trying to outdo each other over battery time? So much packed into these instruments but it seems as if everyone takes it these days as a given that the batteries overheat! I am on App Ver 4.1.3
Anyway glad I could help realitycheck it's always a pleasure to visit MavicPilots & share info.
Anyone have a link to a small USB cable to bypass the auto charge situation for the S8+ to controller?
Cheers

I had the same charging issue with my Android Galaxy S7 and there was no way to prevent it.
Mine never got hot but it was not a good situation
I fixed the issue by buying an iPad Mini 4.
Apple products do not suffer from this charging scenario

Last edited:
Reactions: Brojon
I know it gets old hearing it but the Apple hardware really does seem to be the best solution.
Hey, I replaced my S7 with an iPhone 6+ and my Sammy tablet with an iPad Mini 4 and not one issue.
None, zero, zip, nada, zilch. Bear in mind I'm not an Apple fanboi at all but I do like the reliability when it comes to flying.

Reactions: newguy and Robbyg
Agreed. I use my iPad Mini 4 ONLY for the Mavic.
I really dislike the IOS OS for anything else. The only thing I put on it is the GO4 app

Anyone else flying Mavic with S8+ have the same problem I am experiencing with overheating?
NO I dont have one - I do have a totally trouble free S7edge though - I am interested in seeing how the Samsung Note8 goes with the Mavic too and it is likely to have similar issues to address as your S8+.

Any way to stop the controller sucking battery from the S8+ at all ?
I believe you can disable the charging if you root the phone and add a third party utility. But you probably don't want to do that yet. BTW, Isn't it actually the other way around? The Remote control is charging the Phone hence the lightning flash in the battery icon.

Try all the usual culprits as have been mentioned... For troubleshooting, reduce screen brightness, Reduce ambient temp if possible, stand in shade. Importantly kill all other running apps before you start DJIGo4. This last item I do religiously before I fly my Mavic. I feel has been significant in differentiating in my setup being rock solid while others have had lesser results.

With my setup, the phone battery indicator and dialog always indicate it is charging (USB) when the remote control is connected. However in reality the current output form the RC is so small that even if I put the phone into flight mode and the screen to off it only charges very slowly. You could do same with yours, to see if the process is actually adding much if anything to the phone battery charge level. In this way you might get a sense of if it actually is the cause. If the phone is charging very slowly it is hard to see it as other than a contributor to the heat and not the main cause.

In the past the main issue I have read due to the charging, is RC going flat before all batteries are used up (not overheating). Some people have loads of batteries. With my RC "charging" my phone I can still readily use all three mavic batteries and have ~ 40% left on the RC.

Anyway keep us informed as many of interested in using similar devices.

Last edited:
What would happen if the S8+ was already fully charged, does it still get charged from the RC ?

Cant speak for the S8+, but the S7e gets to 100%, indicates battery full and stops charging with flash symbol disappearing - when the genuine Samsung fast smart charger is in use. Any other non smart chargers such as a Sony unit I have or the DJI Remote control continue to indicate continuous charging after 100% is reached.

No offense to Android owners but DJI should just drop Android App support if they don't plan on doing it right.
Just too many horror stories and firmware versions that work right on one model and not on another.

It's just a frustration that can be avoided if DJI just said up front that it only supports IOS devices.

Rob

Reactions: Former Member
I have been using an S8+ for quite a while now. It has overheated when kept in sunlight and in high humidity. So I keep it in the shade as much as I can.
I have lots of batteries so one of my problems was the rc running out of juice while charging the phone. When this happens I connect the phone (usb-C) via the larger standard usb connection under the r/c and charge the rc with a power pack which I keep in my pocket. This also helps reduce the heat. The blanking out of the screen happened once to me also but that was because I had inadvertently reduced the brightness of the phone. If your power pack runs out of power or you don't have one, you can use a MP battery which has almost depleted at around 20% when you bring the Mavic home.
I am still left with the issue of hard to read S8+ in bright sunlight even on max brightness and "high performance" mode. (+10% brightness on the phone).
No way am I buying a CrystalSky and I have not found a good shade to fit my S8+ in my local stores. I have seen them online, but do they really fit and work?
Best I can do is stay in a shade and or wear a large brimmed hat with phone tilted back. BTW keep the S8+ with as few apps you really need and have a fast sd card for vids and images. You need as much space on the phone's internal memory as you can. Mine no runs very smoothly 95% of the time which is pretty good.

@John Gowland sounds like you having a pretty good run with your. How do you find the screen for size and clarity (when it is bright enough to see). I find the smaller S7e screen bright and sharp but I often cannot discern details in flight due to its 5" size. I have mine set at FHD 1920 x 1080 and shoot in 2.7k. So often on reviewing the SD video I see a lot of stuff I could not discern in flight. Am hoping a note8 screen may address this somewhat.

@John Gowland sounds like you having a pretty good run with your. How do you find the screen for size and clarity (when it is bright enough to see). I find the smaller S7e screen bright and sharp but I often cannot discern details in flight due to its 5" size. I have mine set at FHD 1920 x 1080 and shoot in 2.7k. So often on reviewing the SD video I see a lot of stuff I could not discern in flight. Am hoping a note8 screen may address this somewhat.
The clarity and size of the S8+, I have found is excellent, out of direct sunlight.

When this happens I connect the phone (usb-C) via the larger standard usb connection under the r/c and charge the rc with a power pack which I keep in my pocket. This also helps reduce the heat. The blanking out of the screen happened once to me also but that was because I had inadvertently reduced the brightness of the phone. If your power pack runs out of power or you don't have one, you can use a MP battery which has almost depleted at around 20% when you bring the Mavic home.
Interesting - I had a problem way back when I left the side connector plugged in and used the lower USB port when trying to troubleshoot my S7 hanging.
It would not connect via the lower USB port. I was told you couldn't use both USB ports simultaneously. So I unplugged the side connector and it started working.
Maybe yours works because its a battery pack and not a data cable?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Britt