DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

San Francisco Sunset

Beautiful! I wish I could get away with that here in New York. The list of things you're allowed to do in NY is shorter that the list of prohibited things.

Reactions: SteveCA
Beautiful! I wish I could get away with that here in New York. The list of things you're allowed to do in NY is shorter that the list of prohibited things.

How about with airport notification? Is there a city ordinance banning drones? Casey flies in NYC

How about with airport notification? Is there a city ordinance banning drones? Casey flies in NYC
There is a city ordinance against flying anywhere in NYC except for 4 or 5 parks, none of which are in Manhattan. I've seen some of the Casey videos. Sometimes he flies from a boat on the river, which he seems to think is legal. I guess it might be until you get get caught, and depending on who catches you. I also saw one of his videos where he, or his professional pilot friend flew pretty close to the Statue of Liberty. Great pictures for sure. He claimed that he was far enough away to be legal. I really don't know, or how to tell how close he was, as I don't know what kind of a lens or camera he was using at the time. One thing's for sure; he's got lots of time and money to do what he does.

There is a city ordinance against flying anywhere in NYC except for 4 or 5 parks, none of which are in Manhattan. I've seen some of the Casey videos. Sometimes he flies from a boat on the river, which he seems to think is legal. I guess it might be until you get get caught, and depending on who catches you. I also saw one of his videos where he, or his professional pilot friend flew pretty close to the Statue of Liberty. Great pictures for sure. He claimed that he was far enough away to be legal. I really don't know, or how to tell how close he was, as I don't know what kind of a lens or camera he was using at the time. One thing's for sure; he's got lots of time and money to do what he does.

the city ordinance probably doesn’t cover the waterways so flying from a boat may work.

the city ordinance probably doesn’t cover the waterways so flying from a boat may work.
I don't know if it does or not, but it's probably a lot harder to get caught. I would like to try it someday, but I need to get better at my piloting skills. I'm still fairly new at this, and I don't think I'm quite ready to fly from a moving boat; especially the landing part.

I don't know if it does or not, but it's probably a lot harder to get caught. I would like to try it someday, but I need to get better at my piloting skills. I'm still fairly new at this, and I don't think I'm quite ready to fly from a moving boat; especially the landing part.

I fly a lot from boats and you are right, landing is the challenge but it can be done. Just turnoff vps before flying from a boat. oh and wear gloves for the landing part lol...

BTW, I don’t think the city can restrict flights from non-city property, just like National Parks can not restrict flights from non NPS lands

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N