DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sarting MAvic 2 Pro with Gymbl cover on?

ZX14-R

Reactions
Brisbane (Northside), Queensland Australia
Hi,

Is it ok to start the Mavic up with the cover still on - probs done it a few times by accident?

Does it do any damage ??

Probably answering my own question but I would have thought this would have been taken into account when designing the cover?

Cheers

You need to take the gimbal cover off before you start up your drone. The gimbal will always do a self test on startup hence why it needs to be removed. You could possibly get a gimbal overload error message appear in the Go4 app.?

A lot of people use one of these as a reminder.

799709A2-7528-425A-8122-7FEA19D1158B.jpeg

You need to take the gimbal cover off before you start up your drone. The gimbal will always do a self test on startup hence why it needs to be removed. You could possibly get a gimbal overload error message appear in the Go4 app.?

A lot of people use one of these as a reminder.

View attachment 74455

Might have to get me one of those :)

No error messages and seems to be operating normally.

Cheers

Reactions: Porky
I left the gimbal cover on a few times early on and received the “gimbal overload” message. No apparent permanent damage.

Reactions: ZX14-R
I just added this ribbon yesterday, drilled a hole in the cover and threaded ribbon around the hinge mounting, been meaning to do it for a while.
2ec1d6303fc2031ebe23f96501abbdd1.jpg
71246d696c7280996cf2aa748ee851cd.jpg

Nice mod Jerry? An easy reminder to removing the cover before you fly?

Reactions: ff22
I just added this ribbon yesterday, drilled a hole in the cover and threaded ribbon around the hinge mounting, been meaning to do it for a while.
2ec1d6303fc2031ebe23f96501abbdd1.jpg
71246d696c7280996cf2aa748ee851cd.jpg

Looks like a good idea.

Does look like a super idea if you are going to continue using the factory gimbal cover.

I have no plans to use different cover, DJI one works for me. But I think a reminder to remove would be helpful for me whatever cover I had.

Reactions: Thomas B
Does look like a super idea if you are going to continue using the factory gimbal cover.
It is a good idea, factory cover or any cover. While I now have xxx which is black and could know the cover was on, it would be too late after the self-test. So ribbon for any gimbal cover is appropriate.

Reactions: Thomas B
I have a soft bag I put it in before I drop it into the backpack. I have a big sign I put in that bag, on top of the drone which says "remove gimbal cover."

BTW, I finally figured out how to get the cover on every time. The "trick" is to focus on the two nibs that provide the upper latch for the cover. You simply slide the cover into those two holes, and then tilt it downward. All the other contact points seem to "take care of themselves" if you do it this way. Before I discovered this I spent way too much time trying to get the camera lined up horizontally and then get the two arcs of the cover to fit over the gimbal side supports.

The red ribbon is a great idea. I did similar whereby i connected the ribbon to the gimbal lock locator to the gimbal cover so that they are connected so when you remove gimbal cover you have to remove the gimbal lock piece. But i also have a piece of orange masking tape that covers the battery switch to remind me to remove gimbal cover. Cant start it without removing the tape. Added reminder to remove gimbal protectors

Reactions: ff22
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark