DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Satellite maps gone

keirvt

Reactions
Somehow I have lost all the satellite images I was using with the mapping function.
The mapping route is still there but there is a blank back ground. No satellite image or
ordinary map.
I upgraded the firmware so it might have happened then but
at some stage I reformatted the SD card so it might be my fault.
It should be possible to just download the maps again....right?

I can't manage to do this. Offline maps icon take me to a page where there are titles
of maps that come from China which may or may not download, i didn't try because
I would rather like a map representing where I live.

I am suspecting they just are not available anymore in which case is there an app
or a file I can install that will allow some planning for my drone route.
Does anyone know a procedure for getting offline maps back on the drone?

The maps are still available, under two conditions.

Kind of sounds like the device you are trying to load the maps on:
1. Is not getting good GPS reception so it doesn't know where you are.
2. May not have a connection to the internet either, to be able to download the maps.

If both of those is not the case, I don't know.

I'm using the DJI controller. The offline maps warns that maps are not available when not connected to the internet. The WIFI settings show the device is connected and conclusively the inbuilt browser connects to web sites, I don't think the controller has GPS. It only updates the home point when it connects to an aircraft. The settings have a switch to say "show GPS" but it doesn't.

I read on a forum that DJI were having an argument about the price of Google Maps wanted for their use on drones. This might explain my problem. Even so, it should be possible to get maps from elsewhere. What we need is an app that loads compatible maps. Anyone got some ideas?

I'm using the DJI controller. ... I don't think the controller has GPS.
If you mean the Smart Controller, that has a GPS receiver built-in.
But even tablets that don't have GPS, usually get approximate location information from wifi.
It only updates the home point when it connects to an aircraft. The settings have a switch to say "show GPS" but it doesn't.
That is normal as it's the drone itself that records the homepoint, not the controller.
I read on a forum that DJI were having an argument about the price of Google Maps wanted for their use on drones. This might explain my problem. Even so, it should be possible to get maps from elsewhere. What we need is an app that loads compatible maps. Anyone got some ideas?
Mapping is available on all other DJI drones, so it should be on yours (as long as it has internet data to be able to download them).
You cannot load maps from outside the DJI app.

Do you really need the maps anyway?
They are of little use for most flying.
I haven't used them for years and find the radar display much more useful.

I use the drone to create 3D landscapes. I plan the grid pattern on maps prior to going to the site. Tis sometime ionvolves running the flight close to boundaries denoted by CASA as no flying allowed. At the remote location a flight gathers a sequence of images both in infra red and normal. Those images are later stitched together and sometimes processed for Three D. One imaging mode uses some sort of edge detection to merge a visible edge and infra red. Its quite good. To get plin IR a visual image and the merges images it requires two flights along the same path. I've tried overlaying IR and visible at home butmy efforts and not as good as the on board algorithm.
It saves messing about creating flight grid plans on the site which is impossible anyway without the maps.

For now I have to use Google Earth and produce a KLM file and upload that to the drone.

I cannot see any maps available on the DJI site do you have a link?

"You cannot load maps from outside the DJI app."

The DJI app wont run on the Mavic II Enterprise. I used to be able to get maps but the service has stopped.

"You cannot load maps from outside the DJI app."

The DJI app wont run on the Mavic II Enterprise. I used to be able to get maps but the service has stopped.
What do you mean?
What app do you use for flying?
Doesn't it use the DJI Pilot app?
I cannot see any maps available on the DJI site do you have a link?
I've never seen a Mavic Enterprise or the app it uses, but it's similar to what the consumer models run.
DJI don't have maps available for anything on their site and never have.
Their apps download maps and display them in the app.
And the service still works normally for their consumer drones as you can see here:
i-mDhqDgV-M.jpg

Yes it uses the DJI pilot but there is another app available to other drones DJI Go i thought that is what you meant sorry. It doesn't matter we are talking different software.

I have check my internet connection, I have tried being connecting to the Mavic I've made sure I was outside with GPS reception and no maps. In the past I could download maps but not any more.

The fact that, you, can get maps means there is some problem with my the installed firmware for the DJI controller, probably when i updated.

I can only hope a new release will cure the problem.

I have check my internet connection, I have tried being connecting to the Mavic I've made sure I was outside with GPS reception and no maps. In the past I could download maps but not any more.
You shouldn't need to be outside or to have the drone connected.
All you should need is an internet connection to display maps on the Pilot app.
That's all I did to display that map of Sydney on DJI Go4.
The fact that, you, can get maps means there is some problem with my the installed firmware for the DJI controller, probably when i updated.

I can only hope a new release will cure the problem.
I suspect that it's got nothing to do with the firmware and it's just a simple configuration issue, but it;s hard to diagnose from this distance.

Okay I uploaded a video showing the problem
Despite someone suggesting it, there is no need to connect the drone to download maps to your controller.

The video shows that you haven't got maps, but that's about it.
Unfortunately you didn't show how you are trying to get maps and what the screen is showing when you do.
That would have been useful to see if there's something obvious there that you might be missing.

Have you tried getting a Mavic II Enterprise and loading maps yourself? Perhaps you could do that and show me how it is done.

Have you tried getting a Mavic II Enterprise and loading maps yourself? Perhaps you could do that and show me how it is done.
Sure ... if you pay for the drone, I'd be happy to do that.

The important thing is what you are doing when you try to get maps.
So far all I know is that you can't find maps, but I have no idea what you are (or aren't doing) to get them.

I am having a very similar problem to what keirvt is reporting. I had beautifully working off line aerial imagery maps and today they were gone, leaving a black screen in their place.

My set up is a Crystal Sky Display (firmware V3.0.2.0), Cendence controller and Matrice 210 V2 (sorry not a mavic), using the DJI Pilot app. I use this to fly mapping missions over agricultural fields.

I got the drone a few months ago. After I connected the display to wifi, it displayed and appeared to download aerial imagery. I would roughly plan a mission in the general area of the field I was going to fly while connected to wifi back at the office before the flight. When out in the field (no wifi) the aerial imagery was still visible and I was able to use it to make adjustments to the mission to match field borders etc.

I had planned to fly a field outside my usual area so created a rough flight plan as usual. The aerial imagery was lower resolution than usual, so I downloaded offline maps for that area (this is what was different from previous flights, so probably a mistake). Things seemed to be working and I had not had trouble in the past so I didn't confirm that the map was accessible with wifi turned off. Today, I get things set up in the field and turn on the Crystal Sky, and there is solid black where I would expect to see the flight plan and aerial imagery. I was able to get the offline street map view to work inconsistently, but it goes back to a black screen. I have tried some of the suggestions in this thread, but haven't had any success and I am too frustrated at the moment to troubleshoot effectively.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007