DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Saving battery by shuting off engines midflight

Hello! I was wondering if you could save battery by switching the engines off at an altitude of 2.5km, wait for the drone to fall to 500m and then turn the engines on again.
Is it feasible?
I have been looking to get up 2500M. Could you maybe tell me how? Private message would be the best Thanks!

I have been looking to get up 2500M. Could you maybe tell me how? Private message would be the best Thanks!
Oh. Here's one! Why would you even risk flying a drone that high illegally Mate?
No Sense unless perhaps in the mountains. Clueless to lives you put in danger

or if you flew right above yourself, 2.5km up, turn off motor, then busy looking at your screen and monitoring the height, then only to find you didn't restart the motors quick enough and crack your own skull as it lands on your head. so many possible scenarios.
Hopefully it goes though his skull just his and no one else. How did this person actually think of such an idea?
Would he be happy to sit in a helicopter and let the pilot try that idea of turning off then back on just above ground? Remember all drone pilots are pilots. Think like one.

Oh. Here's one! Why would you even risk flying a drone that high illegally Mate?
No Sense unless perhaps in the mountains. Clueless to lives you put in danger
Not putting lives in danger if you know how to do it. Its not as a big of a deal as you all think ;). There has never been a drone to manned aircraft collision. There has been in February: "This could be the first" but it wasn't. It was just a student flying a remote helicopter. The odds are so low in favor of not hitting a manned aircraft.

Hello! I was wondering if you could save battery by switching the engines off at an altitude of 2.5km, wait for the drone to fall to 500m and then turn the engines on again.
Is it feasible?
That's like asking what would happen if you got your car up to 120 mph, then turned the key off and locked the steering wheel and put the key in the glove box.

This is funny. You can't be serious. How much time, battery life, will you save? Risk reward.
Do the math. Let us know how it goes. Do you have insurance?

Is it feasible?
And this is why we can have nice stuff. Flying irresponsible thus forcing negative public perception and FAA cracking down on us. :-(

I thought the question was about a maneuver to save battery power, turning the battery off will stop it from discharging!

If you want to conserve battery power, a quadcopter (any type of copter, really) is not the vehicle you should be flying. Get a powered RC sailplane and install an FPV camera. Soar all day.

@ OP ;
Just do it already. Dont forget to press the record button, and post the results here! :D

Reactions: jcp411
Regretfully there is this thing call gravity - this means when you shut it off and it accelerates downward at a high speed it will take even more battery energy to now stop it from falling, so there is zero advantages of saving any battery energy.

The good thing from this test is; it does show that you can recover from a E-shut down so your project is actually a success, and more important you guys had a blast doing it!

Regards - Mike

A TROLLING thread if ever I saw one . . .

Reactions: jcp411
Yawn....all I ever read on this forum is doom and gloom merchants saying stuff which has nothing to do with the original question/post.
Why can’t members just keep their “Drone Police” views to themselves, it would stop me yawning so much at their inane life.

You’d probably have a hard time knowing if your motors restarted. You would also have a hard time seeing your drone at that altitude. I can just imagine the stress you would induce on the props. How fast do you think it would free fall?

If this forum had section for posting stupid ideas where we could rate them from 1-10, this one would come in pretty near the top.
Take a $1,200 piece of precision engineering, fly it to 2.5 Kilometers altitude and then cut all means of control/maneuvering? Send it plummeting to earth hoping for a restart?
I would cast my vote for #1 simply because I cannot think of anything more ridiculous.
Just sayin'...

Reactions: Niblett
If this forum had section for posting stupid ideas where we could rate them from 1-10, this one would come in pretty near the top.
Take a $1,200 piece of precision engineering, fly it to 2.5 Kilometers altitude and then cut all means of control/maneuvering? Send it plummeting to earth hoping for a restart?
I would cast my vote for #1 simply because I cannot think of anything more ridiculous.
Just sayin'...
here

Just sayin'...

Just don’t bother saying it and save everyone yawning at your posts.
TOP asked a question because he/she has some spirit in him/her and wants to have some fun experimenting; something that your life obviously doesn’t have.

Reactions: lolo780
This is funny. You can't be serious. How much time, battery life, will you save? Risk reward.
Do the math. Let us know how it goes. Do you have insurance?
It takes quite some time to descend even from 500m. Now imagine how much time and battery you will save when descending from 5km altitude with engines off. I am serious, but I want to keep my drone alive as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: lolo780
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S