DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Saving battery by shuting off engines midflight

I wonder if mavic would be able to fly when its upside down (obviously with the setting in the parameters that allows the motors to work when being upside down)

Only one thing left to do. They have mocked you, called you names, doubted you, several have told you it wouldn't work.
A few believers have posted video proof that it WILL work.
This is your defining moment...... Do the flight, shut down the motors and recover. Or live on in this forum as the "guy with the dumb ideas" I will be pulling for you!

Only one thing left to do. They have mocked you, called you names, doubted you, several have told you it wouldn't work.
A few believers have posted video proof that it WILL work.
This is your defining moment...... Do the flight, shut down the motors and recover. Or live on in this forum as the "guy with the dumb ideas" I will be pulling for you!
Well the videos in this tread already show who is dumb and who is not.
As fot me, I am currently at the stage where I have to disassemble my MP and insert an SD card, because after I downgraded my drone refused to fly.

Last edited:
Suuuuuure.....

Well, actually it has been done but you're on your own if you try it.

Normally I would tell you it's stupid but you're already at 2500m so we're past that point anyway... please, go ahead and try it, make sure you report back how it went.
Hello! I was wondering if you could save battery by switching the engines off at an altitude of 2.5km, wait for the drone to fall to 500m and then turn the engines on again.
Is it feasible?
Limit is 400 feet (120M) You are at 2.5KM?
Yes boys and girls, they walk amongst us - and they Vote

Not everyone is in the USA. Did this guy say where he is.

The US legal limit is 400ft, the Mavic has a preset limit of 500m, when you remove it via FW trickery you can fly as high as the battery allows you to. Not that you should.

I just checked this video, not that I would do or agree with this but If this is true, it's insane in many ways.

I almost can't believe what I'm reading! I feel like I'm on drugs or something .
I'm thinking that natural selection is kinda laggy these days? Wutch y'all thank bout dat?

Haven't gone through the entire thread, but how much battery would you expect to save? Makes no sense in reality.

Haven't gone through the entire thread, but how much battery would you expect to save? Makes no sense in reality.
It does. Taking the mavic down from that altitude with just 3m/sec (max descend speed) would take roughly 1000 seconds or 16 minutes. Even though it's stupid to fly that high, but it probably would work.
One could also avoid sudden very fast approaching low flying aircraft on a collision course that way. You change from 400 feet to 100 feet altitude in seconds, always at the risk of crashing in the ground of course. Best is to check in the simulator how it works out. It's pretty accurate. Although I would only use it in an emergency, like when a battery suddenly would start to get low rapidly or an approaching aircraft.
Even with an Inspire1 it has been tested in 'the field' and it works if restarted at or above the minimum height.

Last edited:
well, in concluding this thread and answering OP's question, yes it has been done, as evidenced by the videos posted. Does it save battery? Yes, if you're extremely high up and looking to come down quick. What would be a smart altitude to kick in back the motors? I'd say about 400 ft. Anything can go wrong, so I wouldn't do this in a populated place. Heck, I wouldn't do this at all, but if I ever went cloud-surfing and it looked like the battery wouldn't be enough to come down, I'd have nothing to lose and would try this as the only chance to save the MP. And still I say, the Mavic wasn't meant for this. Do a 2nd battery mod.

Russia...state of mind

To our brother from Poland regarding "Russia...state of mind" post... you are correct, it's a state of mind to dare, to be creative, to experiment, like we did by sending a human to outer space in 1961 and wondering if he will come back, kind of like the OP wondering if his Mavic will come back. USA has similar state of mind, when they sent the first man to the moon, or the Wright brothers who invented the airplane 115 years ago. I must admit though that Poland has good kielbasa ;)

You lose 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe