DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Saving battery by shuting off engines midflight

Would he be happy to sit in a helicopter and let the pilot try that idea of turning off then back on just above ground? Remember all drone pilots are pilots. Think like one.

Actually.... that's exactly what happens during "autorotation".. it's an amazing maneuver where in case of power failure a helicopter can go into basically a glide, spin up the rotor by dropping altitude and then go into a "flare" right before it hits the ground and use the energy stored in the rotor to slow down.. watch this at about 0:45

But we all know that's not what's happening in this thread..

C'mon guys, this is a ridiculous question and does not warrant a reply.
Freefall to preserve battery power?
Who on earth would want to do that?
It reminds me of years ago when I was teaching my 10 year old son to fly a R/C model aircraft.
All was fine 'till he got bored with just flying around and then he deliberately flew manoeuvres to see if it would crash!
My Mavic is a sophisticated flying machine and I treat it as such, with respect.
But then, I am a mature person ...........

Reactions: phantomi
Hello! I was wondering if you could save battery by switching the engines off at an altitude of 2.5km, wait for the drone to fall to 500m and then turn the engines on again.
Is it feasible?
You do know that the Mavic does not have wings...right?

C'mon guys, this is a ridiculous question and does not warrant a reply.
Freefall to preserve battery power?
Who on earth would want to do that?
It reminds me of years ago when I was teaching my 10 year old son to fly a R/C model aircraft.
All was fine 'till he got bored with just flying around and then he deliberately flew manoeuvres to see if it would crash!
My Mavic is a sophisticated flying machine and I treat it as such, with respect.
But then, I am a mature person ...........
Yes. I can't believe this thread has survive.

I wonder what the original post thinks the battery is being saved for?

Ever heard of an airline pilot thinking this?

Whatever battery power such an extreme measure could possibly 'save' would be insignificant to an absurd extene, but by all means go ahead and try it.

Chances are you won't have a drone afterward which is probably best anyway!

TOP asked a question because he/she has some spirit in him/her and wants to have some fun experimenting; something that your life obviously doesn’t have.

just as a matter of interest, do you also think that train surfing when you're bored is a good idea?

OP, if you chose to do it, no one here can actually stop you. We are all behind a keyboard. Since you are in Russia, perhaps the rules are a bit more lax and there’s not height restriction, so...
1. Make sure you are far away from people and homes, so if you fail to restart, it won’t hit anyone or property.
2. Use app like FlightRadar24, to make sure you are no where near any flight path. Russia is a big place, so perhaps there are places that’s remote enough no planes flight over. Perhaps except Russia airforce in training...
3. Be mindful of the wind. If it blows your mavic too far away till you lose RC transmission, you might not even have be able to do CSC. So it’ll drift. Don’t know if you have to hack to disable RTH and auto landing to allow to fly above 500m, so potentially it’ll just drift until battery goes flat and just free fall all the way to the ground. There’ll be no log to find and retrieve it.
4. Wear a hard hat just in case ;). Although I doubt it’ll save you if it does land on your head.

Reactions: jordane
Winner, winner! Chicken dinner! (For the most hairbrained drone question ever!)

Would never try in my mavic but i did it with my toy xc8, 45 second free fall, restarted and it had no trouble slowing down and taking control again., BTW I own 5000 ares of mountain country i was at about 900m with about 400 below me and the copter and went up about 300 more then went out over the drop and shut it down, it flipped and rolled but fell more like a leaf that a rock.

Whenever I’m running low on battery power, I just fly in reverse which often restores enough battery power in order for me to make it back to my home point, the same works for my vehicle when running low on gas.

Last edited:
Reactions: joejaxvic123
Hello! I was wondering if you could save battery by switching the engines off at an altitude of 2.5km, wait for the drone to fall to 500m and then turn the engines on again.
Is it feasible?
I`d say that sounds like a terrible idea. On so many levels. If all goes well i would still feel sorry for the mavic and the forces it has to endure after a 2km free fall, when you reboot and it has to brake....... not recommended.

If this forum had section for posting stupid ideas where we could rate them from 1-10, this one would come in pretty near the top.
'...
It does. Is called off topic. Is for nondrone related threads
Or just those that get stupid and don’t want to close it.
And that is where this is going.

This is hilarious. part of me wants to dismiss it totally, but you know everyone would watch that video for sure.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S