DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scratches on Lens

ZZ Drone

Reactions
My Mavic has some minor scratches on the lens out of box. It's very hard to see and the photo quality doesn't seem to be affected. However, I noticed some artifacts in a video today. I wonder if the spot is caused by the scratches? If so, I need to send my Mavic back, really don't want do that.

Attachments

• spot.jpg
    spot.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 237
  • scratch.jpg
    scratch.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 247
Hard to say what artifacts you saw. A lens scratch is most likely to cause some amount of glare or loss of contrast over the whole frame when the sun hits the lens from the side. How much depends on the angle and depth of the scratch.

I noticed small vertical scratches or imperfections on the lens as well. It's about the same place as yours so I'm thinking more of them might be the same way.. I haven't noticed any abnormal artifacts though.

Just went to Apple store trying to get an exchange. They told me I wouldn't get the new one till Jan 30. I guess I will live with the imperfection.

I don't have any scratches, but I do have those 'artifacts'. Pretty sure that's just sun flare.

Just went to Apple store trying to get an exchange. They told me I wouldn't get the new one till Jan 30. I guess I will live with the imperfection.

I'd choose the same....but I'd ask them to knock off about 15% too[emoji854]

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Mine also has a line, probably at the same place.

I doubt that would show up in any condition. The artifacts like the one you posted are due to reflections IMO. I really wonder if we wouldn't be better off removing that front "glass" in terms of glare, it clearly causes reflections... but I'm too scared to try removing it.

Light scratches in those positions are highly unlikely to affect your images, agree looks just like lens flare in the vid which is entirely normal

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Mine has some micro scratches on the lens but they can only be seen when a bright light is shone on the glass at an angle, it makes no difference to the image quality. I wouldn't worry about it. :)

I too found light scratches on my Mavic Pro lens - don't know what kind of glass it is but it seems odd that I couldn't see any scratches until I shone a bright light at a certain angle & could then plainly see several small scratches - I was so pissed as I take care of it like a baby & have NEVER had accident & always clean lens very carefully - but there they are! Does it affect the pic/vid quality? not sure - I get lens flare like everyone else but knowing those scratches are there........................surely the glass can be replaced? It's not the actual inner lens system just the outer glass right??

The scratches were there when I first got it. DJI was willing to give me a new one but I use the drone so much and didn't have time to send it in. I did a comparison with another Mavic. It doesn't affect picture quality at all so I am going to keep it.

The scratches were there when I first got it. DJI was willing to give me a new one but I use the drone so much and didn't have time to send it in. I did a comparison with another Mavic. It doesn't affect picture quality at all so I am going to keep it.
Yes I am also keeping mine - doesn't seem to affect the image quality ( maybe lens flare more - will test ) Just ordered the Taco filter kit with UV which will ALWAYS be put on at the end of flying regardless of which filters I end up using during the day.

My also has scratches, saw it when I cleaned the lense. I thought it was dirt at first.

Small scratches on the lens really don't affect image quality in any noticeable way, they are an annoyance just because you know they're there but not worth worrying about

I also found a scratch on the lens. Quite long, not deep. Honestly didn't see it from the first day, but suddenly it appears (Within one week). Don't know any situation where it could have happened. Also you need the right angle and light to see it.
It seems that camera and lens is kind of one part, so replacement of the lens will not be the easiest.
Otherwise I haven't had any issues with the mavic, so try to cover it with a filter now, but as you said, you know its there...

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 54
Having read about scratches on the Mavic lens, would the permanent addition of an ND filter on the Mavic lens protect the lens much the same way as one permanently keeps a UV filter on a DSLR camera?

would the permanent addition of an ND filter on the Mavic lens protect the lens much the same way as one permanently keeps a UV filter on a DSLR camera?
Yes. You could use a UV filter in cases where an ND filter is not needed.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143