DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

See the Bigger Picture. Could it be 5k?

51 Drones

Reactions
Could it be possible it's been under our noses the whole time? Bigger Picture? 5k at 30fps? I think there's a chance! What do you guys think?

5K is fairly specific. At the moment is found only on some computer monitors, and it seems to be, that that's where its going to stay.
8K seems to be whats emerging as the next big jump in ultra HD. But it seems to me that filming in such HDs seems kind of pointless unless you have something to display it on.
I would hate to think how much an 8K tv costs at the moment. (After a bit of research, I've found that there are no 8K tvs readily available at the moment, but when the first ones do come out, you'll be lucky to find one under $20,000US)

The problem is that 4K is still fairly rare when it comes to available content. So making the jump to 8K would be fairly redundant.

Last edited:
5K is fairly specific. At the moment is found only on some computer monitors, and it seems to be, that that's where its going to stay.
8K seems to be whats emerging as the next big jump in ultra HD. But it seems to me that filming in such HDs seems kind of pointless unless you have something to display it on.
I would hate to think how much an 8K tv costs at the moment. (After a bit of research, I've found that there are no 8K tvs readily available at the moment, but when the first ones do come out, you'll be lucky to find one under $20,000US)

The problem is that 4K is still fairly rare when it comes to available content. So making the jump to 8K would be fairly redundant.
4k is the current HD standard and more accessible to consumers. 8k is available if you have the cash to spend in that ultra luxury of TV. Obviously to find the content in 8k will be a nightmare.

It might be a similar sensor to what the new Parrot drone has. With the option to choose for lossless 4K zoom or 5K without zoom. Maybe (partially) virtual stabilisation as well, less mechanical parts, more reliable.

Shooting at a higher resolution than 4K allows for some advantages when shown on a 4K monitor or 4K tv. Cropping "down" to 4K allows for digital stabilization but also shooting at 5K or higher makes for a better 4K image because of the increased amount of data that gets crammed into the downsample. That's what the Sony A6300 and A6500 crop sensor cameras do. They shoot at 6K resolution then downsample to 4K.

Given the current mavic doesnt even do 4k at an acceptable quality theres no point in a incremental improvement to do that badly.

A HEVC 100mbps or so 4K would be a dramatic improvement for the current mavic.

Reactions: guest_1121
It looks like this announcement is going to be delayed. DroneDJ received the following note from DJI today:

"Thank you for RSVP’ing for the ‘See the Bigger Picture’ event on July 18th. Today we are making the difficult decision to push back the event. DJI is committed to introducing the most high-quality, cutting-edge technology in the market. We will postpone ‘See the Bigger Picture’ so we can deliver according to our standard of innovation. User experience is our top priority, and we wanted to ensure we can exceed our customers’ expectations for our technology by the time of the event. Please stay tuned for more information. Thank you for your continued interest and support."

See more details here.

guess they rushed to compere with newly releases

dji knows as any business knows pushing back a new release lessens their potential as not every person can buy every drone that comes out.
i think they missed an opportunity to safely stay in the lead and will have to play catch up.
i fully resent dji putting out stupid tidbits like ;;the big picture'', tell me wtf you plan on releasing early on so i can judge it

The mavic 2 pro sensor is actually 5.5k, I don't understand why DJI doesn't take full advantage of it and let as shoot in 5k instead of either downsampling when shooting in FOV (degrading the image) or using a smaller part of the sensor when using 4k HQ. it seems kind of a waste to have such a big sensor and not fully using it

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121