DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Seems either my Mavic Pro DJI Go 4 map arrow isn't correct or I don't understand it

rgsherr

Reactions
The arrow on my Mavic Pro map always points roughly south to start though the drone is facing east and I'm facing east. Shouldn't that arrow be pointing in the direction the drone is facing? Do I need to re-calibrate?

The arrow on my Mavic Pro map always points roughly south to start though the drone is facing east and I'm facing east. Shouldn't that arrow be pointing in the direction the drone is facing? Do I need to re-calibrate?
there is a small icon in the corner of the map that unlocks the the arrow touch it and see what happens

The AC should be pointing correctly relative to what the map shows as north.

However the map north could be off relative to how you are facing. The map/radar takes which way is North from your device compass. Device compasses, particularly on Androids are notorious for losing calibration. Also the remote could throw the device compass calibration. You can recalibrate the compass by doing a figure 8 wrist movement, or rotate the device a few times on the X,y,z axis.

Which one of these do you call "Map" ... the left or the right?

1586962223217.png

The left is what I'm calling the map and the arrow is the red arrow in the center of that map. The default position on my screen is always to the right or south.

The left is what I'm calling the map and the arrow is the red arrow in the center of that map. The default position on my screen is always to the right or south.
So is the drone icon correctly align in relation to other objects in the map & that is equal to reality (because the map is by default always directed with up side to map north)?

Yes, the arrow is aligning with other objects on the map and it turns with the drone. But doesn't the blue dot show the position of the controller? It's showing the blue dot about 400 meters away.

Yes, the arrow is aligning with other objects on the map and it turns with the drone. But doesn't the blue dot show the position of the controller? It's showing the blue dot about 400 meters away.
If the drone icon on the map is aligning up properly to other objects in the map ... as the drone does to the objects in reality all is fine. The blue dot is the GPS position of your mobile device ... if the GPS isn't on there, only working out it's position from the cellular or WiFi network's it can be quite off.

Now I'm confused - your original post was about the arrow pointing in the wrong direction, but now you are just worried about the location of the controller?

I thought there was a way to make the arrow align with relation to the controller (me). It seems to me that would make it easier to tell the orientation of the drone when it's some distance away and since that affects the way you move the sticks it seems to be important. But it doesn't seem to be the case.

I thought there was a way to make the arrow align with relation to the controller (me). It seems to me that would make it easier to tell the orientation of the drone when it's some distance away and since that affects the way you move the sticks it seems to be important. But it doesn't seem to be the case.
Check this out, it's about the attitude indicator (the right one in the pic I posted earlier). That will give you a picture of were it is in relation to your RC & the direction. Then you also have a line between the drone icon to the HP in the map we have talked about... you can steer along that too to get home.

To get this indicator working properly it's important that your compass in your mobile device are working properly (can be needed that you calibrate that compass while you have it in place in the RC)

Last edited:
properly it's important that your compass in your mobile device are working properly (can be needed that you calibrate that compass while you have it in place in the RC)
The procedure that works for aligning the arrow relative to the direction of travel, usually facing forward for orientation purposes is:
  1. Start controller
  2. Start drone
  3. Make sure DJI GO4 is running and ready to take off
  4. Go to settings on Smart Controller or Android Phone *
  5. Find Compass calibration and perform this
This takes less than a minute to do and has worked flawless for me.

* Don't know or if this is necessary on Apple devices.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaleUt.