DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Serial numbers

How do you explain post #10 look at the ronin mx no r and we bought it as a refurb from dji

I purchased a refurb from DJI that was a lemon and needed to be serviced.
It had an "R" in the serial number.
When it came back from service, it had a new serial number with no "R" in it.
No "R" means to me that it is new.

Can't speak for a DSLR gimbal.

How did you determine the significance of the R in the serial number? I have heard about the prefix and suffix placement, but anywhere in the number is new to me. Is there a reliable source that describes this coding?

I ask because the original drone that was replaced had an R in the middle of the serial number. The replacement from DJI does not. So if that is true, they gave me a new drone to replace a refurb. If the R anywhere denotes a refurb, then they have been quite generous in my case.

Old chatter from the Spark group.
There is a serial number decoder somewhere within the threads.

Some refurbs will have an”R” in the serial and some won’t since DJI has apparently stopped using the “R” in the serial to designate a refurb. It will likely take a while to sort it out ... until current refurb supplies are exhausted at a minimum.

Reactions: DDS
My original drone box with the R in the middle has no box markings or indication it was a refurb. I don’t know if post #10 refers to change in serial numbering policy or is only product type specific.

Some refurbs will have an”R” in the serial and some won’t since DJI has apparently stopped using the “R” in the serial to designate a refurb. It will likely take a while to sort it out ... until current refurb supplies are exhausted at a minimum.

Do we really even know that the R has been dropped for a fact? I would think at the least that any retail boxed unit should be marked clearly if it is a refurb. I think that even if the box is marked Refurbished, it should also be designated somewhere on the device itself. Does DJI monitor this forum, and if so, perhaps they could comment.

@Thomas B you seem to be correct
Just checked Mavic air & no r. So assuming they are doing away w the r SN this means there is no way for anyone else other than dji to differentiate. The only indicator would be that little black sticker or the title on top of the SN

Making me wonder if "V" is the new refurb indicator. BTW, I ran both serial numbers from the photos and they were both returned this: Model: Unknown, build on: 29. September 2018 . Probably due to not having been registered yet. But I'm just speculating.

When you get care refresh replacement you already agreed to the terms and conditions when buying the care refresh that you might get a refurbished unit.

That seems equitable, that's what most other companies do also. The difference is how presentable they make the replacements. Apple refurbs for instance, are indistinguishable from new devices. My opinion is that refurbs have been scrutinized more than the average device from the production line.

Trying to get to the bottom of this once n for all : )
Have little to no faith in Dji due to the rumour mill.
Is what they are saying here true?
Would also be awesome if people could look at their serial numbers and see if they have an ‘R’ wether you have a new or refurbished unit.
The serial number I gave on here is for a unit I had to return.
Tia [emoji109]View attachment 77569

1fa3ad0d9b46378dab8b771ec0e83b79.jpg

So this app has finally let me add an attachment, so here is the convo’ I was trying to share from the start.
The s/n belongs to a returned unit : )
I’ve since purchased another unit from same supplier with an R in the same position [emoji28]
Think I need to stop being paranoid as I seem to have the definitive answer in black and white here.
Last thing though, that decoder link is putting my last two units as built dec’ 18 : / .........not sure that the decoder is a reliable source either.
Any hoooo I’m done worrying for now [emoji28]

So, dumb question - if the decoder says model unknown but reflects a date of manufacture which is VERY recent, is that a Refurb ?

I have a M2Z with smart controller, 2 “R”s in the serial number - 8th and Last digits.

the word refurbished is missing from the serial number sticker, just the normal (AU)

I can scan the serial in dji system if youd like to find out if its a refurb...btw you bought as new of refurbished?

I purchased a refurb from DJI that was a lemon and needed to be serviced.
It had an "R" in the serial number.
When it came back from service, it had a new serial number with no "R" in it.
No "R" means to me that it is new.

Can't speak for a DSLR gimbal.
DJI Refurbished Product FAQ

How can I identify a refurbished product?
Check the serial number. For all refurbished products, the fifth from last character will be "S"or "R".

This will answer if the product is New or Refurb.

Reactions: DDS
DJI Refurbished Product FAQ

How can I identify a refurbished product?
Check the serial number. For all refurbished products, the fifth from last character will be "S"or "R".

This will answer if the product is New or Refurb.
checked all the refurb i have in stock and this seems to be accurate

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121