DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shakey stuttering turns?

Something else interesting I and others have noticed.

Open your 2.7 and 4 videos on QuickTime and click analyser. This will tell you what mps was recorded at.

The Mavic should record at 60 mps

My 2.7 vids are 45 mps
4K are 60 mps

Also note that I notice this same stuttering effect on

All on 24 and 30 fps

So I have now tried several cards, including what was listed as the fastest card you can get (image attached). I've tried nearly every setting (4K, HD, etc) and still exhibits the same, consistent behavior, even when yawing as slowly as I can, cinematic mode, tripod mode, etc.
I contacted DJI support, they said to perform IMU and gimbal calibration 3 times each and if that does not work, send in for repair.

Attachments

• Elite sd card.jpg
    Elite sd card.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: RobP62
So I have now tried several cards, including what was listed as the fastest card you can get (image attached). I've tried nearly every setting (4K, HD, etc) and still exhibits the same, consistent behavior, even when yawing as slowly as I can, cinematic mode, tripod mode, etc.
I contacted DJI support, they said to perform IMU and gimbal calibration 3 times each and if that does not work, send in for repair.

how's it flying after those 6 recals?

Thanks for checking back - it is still choppy, unfortunately. One interesting thing I found is that for some reason in 4k is is far smoother, which seems a little counter intuitive. I am also going to slow my yaw to a crawl since I dont see any real need to turn quickly (until I do!)

Thanks for checking back - it is still choppy, unfortunately. One interesting thing I found is that for some reason in 4k is is far smoother, which seems a little counter intuitive. I am also going to slow my yaw to a crawl since I dont see any real need to turn quickly (until I do!)

Not sure if you still have the old footage, can you try playing it back on VLC player?

If you post process, you can improve on the Mavic footage by upscaling your frame rate from 30fps to 60fps and virtually eliminate the stuttering from your video.
I am posting a test shot I did with my settings at 4k/30fps. My color grading sucks, but the the frame rate upscale looks good. Download to view to get the actual result:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/85571036/vids/threadpost.mov

If you post process, you can improve on the Mavic footage by upscaling your frame rate from 30fps to 60fps and virtually eliminate the stuttering from your video.
I am posting a test shot I did with my settings at 4k/30fps. My color grading sucks, but the the frame rate upscale looks good. Download to view to get the actual result:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/85571036/vids/threadpost.mov

wouldn't that make everything go twice as fast though? is the link correct I'm getting a problem loading page?

YES! That smooth motion is awesome. So you shoot at 4K/30fps, then upscale it to 60 and voila'? Nothing more to it?

YES! That smooth motion is awesome. So you shoot at 4K/30fps, then upscale it to 60 and voila'? Nothing more to it?
Yes. But doubling the frame rate has to be done the right way, by the right program. Some programs just add extra frames in between the recorded frames instead of creating a new frame composed of the previous and following frame. DaVinci Resolve has a simple workflow to create the correct doubling.

I don't have a youtube account so I don't know how to post any other way. Sorry you can't see it. There isn't a download button at the top right?

Hello to all.just saw this Thread.i'm Mavic owner and always have used the 2.7K mode.i tried 4K just today.when revieuwing the footage there was huge stutter (on a 3y old laptop) And also when watching the cached video's on iPad mini.When i used my wife's business desktop (Dell i7,16gb ram ,....) i got flawless amazing Smooth video....
Maybe we all need to realise that 4K demands more then 1080p? Just saying that it helped my stutter issue.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Edjes
Hello to all.just saw this Thread.i'm Mavic owner and always have used the 2.7K mode.i tried 4K just today.when revieuwing the footage there was huge stutter (on a 3y old laptop) And also when watching the cached video's on iPad mini.When i used my wife's business desktop (Dell i7,16gb ram ,....) i got flawless amazing Smooth video....
Maybe we all need to realise that 4K demands more then 1080p? Just saying that it helped my stutter issue.

The most important thing to look at is the write speed of the sd cards. This chart will help you choose depending on how you record using 4K, 1080... the number in the bucket is important, the best is 3 not 1.
d901b90cc283cd96363f16926c9aed2c.jpg

Reactions: Anthonytoyo
Thanks djl61...i was planning to buy an extra sd for the Mavic....the card is nr 1 cause to check,but i also think the power of viewing device is important if you dont want shakes And stutters during playback.

The image stutters at slightly higher yaw speeds (and I really mean slightly) and it is visible on the iPhone display, even without recording the image on a card (any card). The vertical lines in high contrast areas stutter more than in other areas of the mage.

This particular type of stuttering has nothing to do with the card and its read/write speed. It manifests itself even without a card while monitoring the video signal.

It happens at different shutter speeds too. Lower, or higher, the stutter is still there. Extremely annoying and quite disappointing.

I finally got my replacement after being gone for 2 months. New mavic but same controller.

They sent me a brand new unit which came back not being linked to the controller which begs the question did they even test it before sending back?

I have been shooting test videos all day and am getting mixed results. Sometimes the artifact happens still. It seems to work best on either 2.7 or 1080 30 fps in manual and auto works better than expected.

Still not out of the woods yet unfortunately.

Reactions: RobP62

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1