DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

shooting HDR with the Air 2

jojonono

Reactions
Hi Guys,

I shoot HDR video yesterday with my Air 2 at around 1:00 PM and it was really sunny here in the UAE, but i noticed the following...

1) the image as kind of soft, is there is a way to manually focus on the Air 2 ?
2) i enabled subtitles and i was seeing some noise in the shadows and black areas, ISO was ranging from 100-350 ISO, and noise was almost always present in HDR mode, I was also using ND64 as i said it was really bright at around 1:00 pm in the desert :) what did i do wrong ?...
3) i shoot at 24 FPS and the shutter speed was showing 1/25 in the video, it didnt even dodge ! will the shutter increase in the future if i shoot with No ND Filters at all or lighter like ND16 maybe ? (i want to try to achieve the so-called cinematic look)

any advise on shooting in HDR will be greatly appreciated...

thanks,

I rarely shoot in bright sun with an ND64, highest I tend to go is ND32. By adding extra stops unnecessarily you will introduce more noise. Below is a chart by Polar Pro that shows recommended filters for different scenarios.
ND Filter Guide.png

If you had 1/25 shutter speed and ISO starting to go up then ND64 was way too much, needed either ND16 or ND8.
ND64 is basically only useful for snow-covered landscape at midday...

You're not going to see much difference in that situation at that time of day. It's meant to be used in situations with High Dynamic Range, so things like sunsets and sunrises where the light is less and the shadows can be dark with sun highlights. Use it when you have low light scenarios or high contrast scenarios. Things like shooting into the sun can benefit but it's all scenario based. Not something you should use all the time and usually not when the sun is brightest in the day anyway...

Reactions: Heindrich1988
If you had 1/25 shutter speed and ISO starting to go up then ND64 was way too much, needed either ND16 or ND8.
ND64 is basically only useful for snow-covered landscape at midday...

i thought that too, agreed !....

You're not going to see much difference in that situation at that time of day. It's meant to be used in situations with High Dynamic Range, so things like sunsets and sunrises where the light is less and the shadows can be dark with sun highlights. Use it when you have low light scenarios or high contrast scenarios. Things like shooting into the sun can benefit but it's all scenario based. Not something you should use all the time and usually not when the sun is brightest in the day anyway...

i thought pics look more vivid also with HDR, just like mentioned here:

what do you think ?

do you think i can use HDR at night time because am seeing lot of blown/overexposed lights at night, is HDR gonna help at night, just wondering ??...

thanks,

Reactions: HVelez
i thought pics look more vivid also with HDR, just like mentioned here:

what do you think ?

do you think i can use HDR at night time because am seeing lot of blown/overexposed lights at night, is HDR gonna help at night, just wondering ??...

thanks,

I'm not an expert by any stretch, but yes, I did use HDR for night shots on my Air 2.

You can check it out towards the end of that video. I think it turned out alright. That said, the Air 2 has a pretty small sensor, so it's never going to a good night-time camera. It only works when you have plenty of lighting like my case.

For me so far, the main advantage of HDR is convenience. When I don't want to spend too much time thinking about colour grading in post, I find that HDR generally produces a nice looking video without much editing, especially (as others pointed out) when used in situations with high contrast like sunset.

The best results I've achieved thus far have been shooting in D-Cinelike, which is easier for editing. But it does make your raw footage look very flat (intended).

I'm not an expert by any stretch, but yes, I did use HDR for night shots on my Air 2.

You can check it out towards the end of that video. I think it turned out alright. That said, the Air 2 has a pretty small sensor, so it's never going to a good night-time camera. It only works when you have plenty of lighting like my case.

For me so far, the main advantage of HDR is convenience. When I don't want to spend too much time thinking about colour grading in post, I find that HDR generally produces a nice looking video without much editing, especially (as others pointed out) when used in situations with high contrast like sunset.

The best results I've achieved thus far have been shooting in D-Cinelike, which is easier for editing. But it does make your raw footage look very flat (intended).

thanks a lot for sharing this i was really looking for something similar !...

the HDR looks ok at night ! but i guess i prefer shooting normal and darken the image to capture the night Lights thats it !

sadly i got very little experience color grading, so i will probably stick to normal model at day time, thanks again for sharing your content, subbed to ur channel !...

Reactions: Heindrich1988
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54