DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shooting videos or watching them - which is more enjoyable?

PeteS2017

Reactions
I have been going through my videos cutting out the dross - you know, the footage where you're positioning the drone, getting stuff wrong, etc. As I am not much of a drone pilot, the dross makes up most of each video. But I also notice that the 'good' footage, such as it is, gets pretty boring to watch.

It makes me wonder: are there people here who like me shoot vids and sometimes don't even get to view them? Or view them once then just forget about them?

Unless you're a consummate professional videographer who plans every second of a shot, I believe collecting dross is axiomatic. Especially due to the fact that if you alone are piloting and shooting at the same time, your flight maneuvers (should) take precedence over your attention to the camera, so collecting useless footage is unavoidable. Photos are obviously different, since these are usually framed-up for a single, intentional shot.

When your footage is important enough, you will obviously view it for editing and correction. But a much greater percentage of my footage consists of "test shoots" where I am selecting the best ND filter for the conditions, or where I landed the quad, forgetting to stop the camera, resulting in fascinating footage of my feet as I carry the quad to wherever.

I feel that any "casual" videographer is going to collect a lot of unusable, and possibly even un-viewed footage, since this appears to be part of the process.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi