DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Short crash

LCummings99

Reactions
Clipped a prop on a tarped carport from about 7’ and have gotten a motor over speed and high angle warnings as well as slow moving (<10mph) in position mode since. Not sure what could’ve happened but it did bump the top, in the front right area just behind the FVS.

Edit: I recalibrated the IMU, vision sensors and gimbal and all is well in my world again. My M2P flies as it should, naked or with any accessory I own attached to it.

Last edited:
Clipped a prop on a tarped carport from about 7’ and have gotten a motor over speed and high angle warnings as well as slow moving (<10mph) in position mode since. Not sure what could’ve happened but it did bump the top, in the front right area just behind the FVS.

Edit: I recalibrated the IMU, vision sensors and gimbal and all is well in my world again. My M2P flies as it should, naked or with any accessory I own attached to it.
Not so much any more. Flew again yesterday and lost both the main and backup IMU's about 6min into the flight. Completely black screen and got a warning that she disconnected at about 100' above my head. Sounds like it's time to see how the DJI Care Refresh option pans out. :(

Has your drone crashed?

What do you mean by you lost the IMU?

Did you not replace the props ?

Has your drone crashed?

What do you mean by you lost the IMU?

Did you not replace the props ?
Yes I clipped the front right prop at about 7’ AGL due to wind pushing it into the object. When I took it out the other day, post crash I got a “Switching to backup IMU” message, then the backup IMU failed (got another message indicating that)and the display on DJI Go 4 went completely blank and the AC disconnected according to DJI Go 4. I was at approx 100’ straight above me hovering when this happened. I attempted to adjust antenna angle on the RC and physically moved the RC in attempt to get it to reconnect to no avail. DJI Go 4 still indicated that it was disconnected from the AC however I was able to control the drone back to Mother Earth although none of the sensors were operable at that time so it didn’t automatically slow down as normal when it approached the ground but was able to control it to a safe landing with no hard impact.

I did not put a new prop on it but did balance the prop that was clipped as it lost a very small piece on the top of one blade. No other damage visible to that prop or any of the others. There is some visible damage to the body just behind one of the forward sensors on the top where the plastic has moved somewhat on the nose piece. My assumption is that something is damaged internally, I haven’t taken it apart to confirm any internal physical damage but am going to use DJI Care Refresh to have it replaced as I can no longer trust that it’s completely operable and safe to fly. The cable I use to connect to my iPad has never given me any issues previously or since as I use it on multiple drones.

Was pressing RTH not an option ?

I think the best thing was to have changed the props

From 7' AGL no, pressing RTH wasn't an option since it immediately crashed to the ground in an instant since the drone flipped over and the motors stopped. Changing the props is not going to affect it's flight in this instance. Less than 1/8" of one tip from one prop is all that was missing and I balanced the prop after cleaning the edges up with a small file. This would only possibly have caused the one time motor speed warning but not the flight characteristics I mentioned in #4 of this post. Normally with a damaged prop I would have changed it but there have been so many other non-propeller related issues since, I have decided to use one of my Care Refresh replacements. There is visible damage to the body, my assumption is that the IMU and possibly more components have been damaged internally. Incidentally when that area popped it broke the skin I had on it in the same area so I know the impact was reasonably significant.

Attachments

• IMG_7222.JPG
    IMG_7222.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7223.JPG
    IMG_7223.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads