DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I exchange my new drone?

kelso

Reactions
I just picked up a mavic pro bundle from Costco. It had a green sticker on it (which my wife says means it was returned), but upon unpacking it, everything “looked” fine.

However, I’ve had a couple issues and I want opinions before I do anything.

1st flight, after all firmware updates and getting setup, the gimbal went crazy while flying and wouldn’t transmit video anymore. It kept saying gimbal overload warning. I had to shut everything down and power back up for it to work.

2nd on all 3 of my test flights I’ve lost connection to the drone, screen goes blank and it won’t reconnect until I power cycle everything (my phone (iPhone 8+) included).

3rd thing is all the settings were NOT factory default, images 4:3, jpeg etc rather than RAW.

Perhaps I’m being a bit paranoid, but it was an expensive purchase and Costco stands behind there electronics for 90 days so I can return it for ANY reason.

Thoughts?

Reactions: austindave
If your getting gimbal overload on first flight and suspect it was a return get it exchanged.

Reactions: kelso
Can’t comment on the gimbal problem but loss connection is probably one of the most under reported problems with the Mavic.

Two ways most of us use to correct it. First, disconnect the cable from the side of the controller and use a USB cable from the bottom of the controller to your iPhone.

Second, use the OEM cable but turn off Bluetooth AND put your iPhone in Airplane mode.

Can’t comment on the gimbal problem but loss connection is probably one of the most under reported problems with the Mavic.

Two ways most of us use to correct it. First, disconnect the cable from the side of the controller and use a USB cable from the bottom of the controller to your iPhone.

Second, use the OEM cable but turn off Bluetooth AND put your iPhone in Airplane mode.

This is very true. I had a lot of problems with the supplied cable, now I always use the original Apple cable from my iPhone to the USB port on the RC.
Problem solved...!

I bought an MP from Best Buy , and it looked like a returned one, so I exchanged it. The “New” MP just got it’s first flight in and it has the “jello” effect on video[emoji17]. Now it’s past the 14 day return, so I have to figure this out, or get in touch with DJI.
If you have a chance for exchange, DO it [emoji6]

Take. It. Back. The previous owner obviously had a problem with the MP but it passed the merchandiser's requirements of everything in the box, like new condition, so back out on the shelf.

If you paid for a NEW mavic, and they gave you a returned one with problems, TAKE IT BACK. Make sure you get a NEW one. Looks like the previous owner might have done something, like crashed it, then returned it.

absolutely exchange it ....no need of constantly testing it especially if it is suspect of being a returned item...that's $900+
my friend. that's all i got to say... "Be safe and Keep'em flyin

Reactions: kelso
My wife says all men have boy brains.The OP should have gotten a mavic that was brand new and not a return.
Costco should inform people that it was a open package or a return before it left the store.

So the bottom USB is more reliable??! Dang! Will have to watch for issues when I use my MP

The little flat one for the side has practically no shielding, plus it's ridiculously fiddly and trying to get it into your phone will likely cause damage sooner or later.
9 times out of 10 this simple *fix* greatly reduces connection problems.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM