DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should i get a mavic air 2

Britmatt81

Reactions
Hi all.

Can anyone help me make a decision ?
I'm a mavic mini user and love using it as a hobby only. But I'm so confused to as the laws keep changing and where I can and cannot fly. I understand the drone code but I keep getting told that from 01/01/21 I will be allowed to fly over congested areas. If thats true then I might as well hold onto my mavic mini.

But part of me wants to upgrade to a mqvic air 2 as its more capable in wind and better drone all round. But what I am worried about is that if I change the mavic air 2 will be tighter rules where the mini will be better for flying close to things. I dont want to waste my money and make flying harder for myself. Should I keep the mini ?

I'm planning for 2021 and have also got my flyer id and operator id too all done.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advanced.

Matt

That is completely your decision. The drone worth it? Yes it does. Much better drone and super capable.
I guess from the DJI line is the best drone for your money as far as today.

Definitely has to your choice as no one else can know your situation and priorities. Also, regulations do vary from region to region.

In Canada, whether you fly the mini or something larger, technically, the same rules are supposed to apply. The only real difference is the requirement to register the drone and hold an operators certificate. At least that's how I see it.

My intended usage isn't going to change. So, for me, the biggest factor in deciding whether or not to upgrade would be the drones relative capabilities. That and my budget.

Welcome to the forum, fly safe.

I purchased the Mavic Air 2 because I wanted to see how an “incremental“ upgrade from a Mini would look. I also got caught up in the pre-order frenzy. I didn’t expect it to surpass MP/MPP specs like it does, and even get compared to M2Z/M2P, so that was a pleasant surprise. So if you’re already feeling the shortcomings of your Mini, I’d say Yes to your posted question.

As for the local UK regulations behind your question, stand by, as we’ve got many forum members about to log on for the afternoon. They’ll have plenty of useful facts and opinions to share.

Hi all.

I'm a mavic mini user and love using it as a hobby only. But I'm so confused to as the laws keep changing and where I can and cannot fly. I understand the drone code but I keep getting told that from 01/01/21 I will be allowed to fly over congested areas. If thats true then I might as well hold onto my mavic mini.

But part of me wants to upgrade to a mqvic air 2 as its more capable in wind and better drone all round. But what I am worried about is that if I change the mavic air 2 will be tighter rules where the mini will be better for flying close to things. I dont want to waste my money and make flying harder for myself. Should I keep the mini ?

I'm planning for 2021 and have also got my flyer id and operator id too all done.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advanced.

Matt

Welcome to the forum...

I bought my first drone a few weeks ago. After some deliberation, I chose the Air 2 over the Mini.

I looked into UK regulations at the time because I expect to return soon-ish. As I understand it:

1. There is no functional difference between the Mini and Air 2 in terms of what you can and cannot legally do. Yes, you don't have to register the Mini. But you are still constrained by the same (in my opinion) draconian rules.

2. The rules are in flux. They are unlikely to be relaxed at all. It is very doubtful that the Mini will enjoy freedoms that the Air 2 will not in the future.

3. There is very limited enforcement of existing drone laws and it will take time for new regulation to be implemented.

So I don't see much advantage of getting a Mini over the Air 2, from a regulation perspective.

So, the question is then simply a cost-benefit analysis of capability and cost, and what you intend to use for Mavic for. For me, the Air 2 was a no-brainer for its superior camera, transmission, range, sensors and active track capability.

Your situation is a bit different because you already got the Mini and you are considering an upgrade. I would say that it depends on how you intend to use your drone and what for. It also depends on your attitude to regulation.

If you intend to follow the letter of the law 100%, regardless of enforcement, then perhaps you shouldn't spend so much money on an Air 2 and just wait and see what the new rules will be. Personally, I hope to use my Air 2 in places with more relaxed regulation... and I might bend the rules where I feel they are needlessly draconian. That's definitely not the approved stance of this forum though, but that's my honest reasoning for taking a calculated risk with the Air 2.

I would not buy any drone at this point. Wait until you can get one CE marked or you just get a legacy drone with many restrictions after 01/01 2021

Hi all.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advanced.

Matt
YES!

Hi all.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advanced.

Matt
Personally I would hold off buying the Air 2 at the moment, in light of the new CAA regulations coming in next year. From January the Air 2 would fall into the A3 Legacy category, so no people within the area of flight and 150m separation from residential, commercial, industrial or recreation areas. You could do the A2 Cof C course, this would let you fly it in the A2 Transitional category (that lets you get as close as 50m from people), but only for 2 years. After that it goes back to being A3 regardless of what training you've done.
The Mini (and Mini 2) are interesting in that they fly as A1 category (able to fly over people but not crowds), but with no "expiry date".
So I'd consider either waiting until DJI release a proper A1 drone (which the Air 2 replacement will probably be, based on weight), or maybe upgrade to the Mini 2, which from the reviews seems to handle wind better, and have a bunch of other features. Then you can fly almost anywhere until the cows come home.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78