DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I Join AMA- for Recreational Use?

I renewed my membership when it expired, mostly for the insurance. But another benefit to me is if I'm hassled I can at least show that I'm trying to follow the industry accepted norms.

But as an organization I'd say they're about as relevant to the hobby as the ARRL is to ham radio. The membership is holding back progress and even though the leadership sees the writing on the wall (what's the average age of members?), the members will fight back at every attempt to modernize. Not to mention they have a pretty cushy relationship with the same old advertisers in the monthly journal, and why mess that up by embracing new tech?

Reactions: dawgpilot
Is it a good idea to join the AMA for drone pilots?
I am just beginning with about 10 hours of flight time with a Mavic 2 Pro.
What are other alternative associations that might be beneficial to recreational pilots?

If for no other reason than for the insurance. And their Model Aviation magazine that you get just might spur interest in other RC flying too!

Reactions: Earthman
Did you notice this?

Altitude—Maximum altitude of sUAS is limited to 400 feet above ground level (AGL) when within 5 miles of an airport.

In airspace under the jurisdiction of the FAA, 400-ft above ground level is the max altitude everywhere for recreational flyers unless other restrictions apply. It may be lower near airports or you may not be permitted to fly.

Download and use apps such as Before U Fly, AirMap, etc. that can help you determine if, where, and how high you can fly.

There will be Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFRs) that pop up on occasion that will prevent you from flying in locations that are ok on other days.

Read the FAA regulations for recreational flying.

Register your drone at https://faadronezone.faa.gov/

I am in the process of joining the AMA and last question is "How Did You Find Us?". One of the choices asks if you have a referral code. If anyone is a current member and benefits from my using them as a referral , let me know and I will be glad to use their member # or code.

Reactions: spicciani2
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leroyman