DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I Join AMA- for Recreational Use?

MikeJc1955

Reactions
Is it a good idea to join the AMA for drone pilots?
I am just beginning with about 10 hours of flight time with a Mavic 2 Pro.
What are other alternative associations that might be beneficial to recreational pilots?

If you're really interested in flying you drone or other types of model aircraft you should really support AMA... it's the only organization representing us as model aviation enthusiasts...be smart fly safe

Thanks for the input. Just wanted to make sure Droners are welcome to join AMA.
I always thought the were strictly fixed winged model airplane organization.
Their website doesn't make it clear.
Tried to call 1-800 number today, but I guess no answer on Saturdays.

BTW, this forum is very informative and entertaining.

Reactions: Classic flyer
Thanks for the input. Just wanted to make sure Droners are welcome to join AMA.
I always thought the were strictly fixed winged model airplane organization.
Their website doesn't make it clear.
Tried to call 1-800 number today, but I guess no answer on Saturdays.

BTW, this forum is very informative and entertaining.
AMA is very much open to drones, and helicopters...anything that flies...join and enjoy all the benefits...only open Monday- Friday...be smart fly safe

Reactions: dawgpilot
Some groups/chapters may dislike drones. I suppose I could see that as flying fixed wing or helicopter does take serious coordination while our quads are virtually on autopilot in comparison.
Even in ATTI mode, our quads are probably easier than the typical fixed wing. In ATTI, you only have wind drift to contend with. With hands off the sticks it still stays up in the air at fixed altitude.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Some groups/chapters may dislike drones. I suppose I could see that as flying fixed wing or helicopter does take serious coordination while our quads are virtually on autopilot in comparison.
Even in ATTI mode, our quads are probably easier than the typical fixed wing. In ATTI, you only have wind drift to contend with. With hands off the sticks it still stays up in the air at fixed altitude.
All that being said, drones are more than welcome in AMA...drones are indeed a new technology, as were.airplanes and helicopters. By becoming a member of AMA you are supporting model aviation, and helping the drone(quad copter) become more acceptable in the view of the general public...JMO...be safe fly smart

Reactions: Thomas B
Does the insurance only cover you at AMA fields? I tried looking on their site but couldn't find it. That is the way my model boat insurance works - only covered at sanctioned sites.

Does the insurance only cover you at AMA fields? I tried looking on their site but couldn't find it. That is the way my model boat insurance works - only covered at sanctioned sites.
Well I joined because I fly fixed wing aircraft with a club who requires it. But if you read some of the AMA docs it seems like they've included some rules that point towards non-AMA field flying:

I actually don't know how their insurance works for sure. I have been told they require you to exhaust your own insurance before the AMA coverage kicks in but again I don't actually know.

Did you notice this?

Altitude—Maximum altitude of sUAS is limited to 400 feet above ground level (AGL) when within 5 miles of an airport.

I'm sure they are working on bringing all their rules/recommendations up to date. In fact I'll guess the AMA will work with the FAA to tweak a few other rules.
That's what they do, promote safety, training and represent us, as hobby flyers, to make sure the faa stays on a level playing field...we might not like some of the regulation but it is better than losing the hobby flat out...so I would say YES please join AMA and help support our cause, thanx...be smart fly safe

Last edited:
Reactions: dronerdave
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tore Korsnes