DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I put my phone number on my drone in case it gets lost?

Wow what a subject. Lots of responses. Good question. My Spark (and MA2) have my number on them and as a result, on the little one, I got her back after 2 weeks up in a tree that I had searched with a cherry picker the day after she decided to descend into it! Luckily a tree surgeon found it, rang me and later, after a few £s, I regained possession. I have the picture of him holding the Spark grinning widely as he contemplated the reward.

Reactions: MA2 317
Not only is all my info on the outside of the drone, I have a PDF file on the SD card with the same info. I was called in to help find the owner of a drone that had landed at the golf course I work at a few years back. No ID on it all all. Fortunately there were some pics on the SD card and I was able to CIS it back to the proper owner.
The pdf file owner info on the SD card is my Pick of the Year! Excellent idea. Thanks. 👍😎🇳🇿

Reactions: NG Wildman
I put a note saying "Potential Reward if found" in the drone as that doesn't commit me totally to any particular course of action.
When I bought my first drone (pre-owned) from a seller in another part of the UK I found an SD card inside. To my amazement it had photos and videos which I recognised as my home town. Also it showed the pilot standing outside a car showroom and I was able to focus in and saw the name of the garage on the guy's coat. From this information I was able to return the SD card and his family photos which the original owner had thought he had lost forever.
Good outcome

The pdf file owner info on the SD card is my Pick of the Year! Excellent idea. Thanks. 👍😎🇳🇿

I do the same thing.

Also added a link to the Mavic Pilots Forum. 👍

Just remember NOT to format the card in the bird as it will erase the file.

Reactions: db4476
So for those putting REWARD, do you list an amount or leave it open? What's fair for a Mini 2? Keep in mind, what you get back could be completely destroyed from the fall.

Also, do you think it's a good idea to register your drone even if it's exempt becuase it weights under 249g?

I have numbers on mine, but I got stickers from the reclaimdrone site that also let me put my contact info on the site and update as needed. So even though a hard coded number is on a sticker, my page on reclaimdrone allows me to update my current info should someone go to the site and enter my registration number. I have a neat service in the works though I am building that I think will be even easier than reclaimdrone though and would allow people in the field to instantly get access to your info without the need to go to a site and enter the registration number. Once I have it done, I will be sure to post it here for thoughts on it.

Worked for me, got mine hand delivered back the next day and gave the guy $20. Everybody happy

I have my FAA # and my email on my drone skin. Including the word 'reward' is a good idea. Another reason I have it on the drone is so that if curious people walk over while I'm getting ready to fly they just might see the FAA # and my identification (looks official?). One woman who was no hassling me but just curious with her kids actually said, "Oh you have to register it with the FAA".

BTW: I started this hobby just under a year ago and have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying it. The posts on this site are a great source of information, encouragement and humor. Thx.

Reactions: FireAnt
I format the SD after every clean off to remove any file fragments. I would have to remember to transfer the pdf back on to the card. No great problem.

Yes you should mark your drone with some sort of contact info.....a phone number, an email, something. Since most drones require registration, as other have pointed out it is a good idea to get stickers containing both. If you can't get free ones or print your own, try tagmydrone. It will cost 2 or 3 bucks but you can choose your format. Some even say Reward.

As per the law here in the UK, on my P3A I had my registration and mobile number in Demo embossed tape.

Where is it safe to put such a label on the Mini 2 where there's no chance of interfering with the GPS signal?

As per the law here in the UK, on my P3A I had my registration and mobile number in Demo embossed tape.

Where is it safe to put such a label on the Mini 2 where there's no chance of interfering with the GPS signal?
The GPS antenna receives GPS signal through the thick plastic shell of the drone.
Dymo label tape won't block GPS signal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada