DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I put my phone number on my drone in case it gets lost?

kjonyou

Reactions
How many of you do this? I cant decide if it's a good idea or a bad one. I don't plan to be reckless but on the other hand, if something went wrong and it fell in Karen's back yard, I doubt I would get it back and I am sure I would get a mouth full and maybe a lawsuit becuase she thaought I was into 40 year old cougars. On the other hand, seen lots of post of people trying to return lost drones to their owners. 50/50.

I have all 4 of my drones marked with my reg, name and phone number. I figure if your Karen scenario happened, and I believe it happens a lot, I could use logic with the cop that shows up. What pervert would advertise their name and trackable information? A peeping Tom doesn't wear neon and a cat burglar doesn't leave his business card so what makes them think this is any different?

if something went wrong and it fell in Karen's back yard
While possible, this one is really an edge case.

There are a lot of good people out there. I think the average person would try to return lost items if there was a way to identify them.

Not only is all my info on the outside of the drone, I have a PDF file on the SD card with the same info. I was called in to help find the owner of a drone that had landed at the golf course I work at a few years back. No ID on it all all. Fortunately there were some pics on the SD card and I was able to CIS it back to the proper owner.

If you have a bird that requires registration, you can get free stickers here that have your FAA number number on them along with your phone number.
They send you 3 or 4 with different color schemes.
https://pilotinstitute.com/free/

You could also put a few good pictures of yourself in the battery compartment as well, just in case your cougar is looking for a dinner date. ;)

Last edited:
How many of you do this? I cant decide if it's a good idea or a bad one. I don't plan to be reckless but on the other hand, if something went wrong and it fell in Karen's back yard, I doubt I would get it back and I am sure I would get a mouth full and maybe a lawsuit becuase she thaought I was into 40 year old cougars. On the other hand, seen lots of post of people trying to return lost drones to their owners. 50/50.
I have "Reward If Found" and my phone number on the next line. I don't have a reward amount, I figure I'll negotiate that at the time depending on what condition it is in, or other circumstances.

Reactions: Itzmyobsession
I have "Reward If Found" and my phone number on the next line. I don't have a reward amount, I figure I'll negotiate that at the time depending on what condition it is in, or other circumstances.
I wanted to do a follow-up on my post here. I once saw a posting on Facebook by a lady in a town near me. She said she had found a drone and was looking to return it to the owner. She said that a couple of days earlier some kids had came by wondering if she had seen a drone that flew (probably blew) away on them. She told them she had not, and they went away. The next day while working in the backyard, she found a drone under a bush. However, now she has no idea who the kids were or how to get it back to them. I have no idea if they ever got it back. So it would seem, if you go asking house to house, it may be a good idea to leave your number. Posting it on your drone would solve that problem.

If you have a bird that requires registration, you can get free stickers here that have your FAA number number on them along with your phone number.
They send you 3 or 4 with different color schemes.
https://pilotinstitute.com/free/

You could also put a few good pictures of yourself in the battery compartment as well, just in case your cougar is looking for a dinner date. ;)
I tried to get the free stickers, but it wouldn't let me submit info. It said:
Sorry! Only one entry is allowed. Multiple submissions are disabled for this form.
I have never asked for these before. Their chat room must not be open now since I am not getting a reply. Anyone else have this problem?
Also...I just noticed that my FAA registration for recreational pilot was issued on 2/25/2017, and expires 12/12/2023. Thought it was only good for 3 years?

Reactions: Cosmo0g
I tried to get the free stickers, but it wouldn't let me submit info. It said:
Sorry! Only one entry is allowed. Multiple submissions are disabled for this form.
I have never asked for these before. Their chat room must not be open now since I am not getting a reply. Anyone else have this problem?
Also...I just noticed that my FAA registration for recreational pilot was issued on 2/25/2017, and expires 12/12/2023. Thought it was only good for 3 years?
Sorry, I don't know about that. I went through it a month or so ago with no problems, and got my stickers about two weeks later.

I have my mobile # on the underside arm of my MA2 as well as an Apple Air Tag up top.

I just ensure that I don’t fly over either of my two ex-wife’s properties. If I landed without issue there I’m sure I wouldn’t get a call. And if I crashed into their homes I’m sure I would get a call from their attorneys. Maybe I should remove the mobile # 😂🤣

You should absolutely, it has already saved me $700 when I lost my m2 in a tree , whent home to get a pole came back and it was gone

Reactions: mereflyer
You should absolutely, it has already saved me $700 when I lost my m2 in a tree , whent home to get a pole came back and it was gone
Sorry but maybe I'm missing something here. If you went home to get a pole, and came back and it was gone, how did that save you $700?
Just curious

if something went wrong and it fell in Karen's back yard, I doubt I would get it back

It's not her property (the drone).

Report her for theft if she doesn't want to comply.

Call the police and have them retrieve your property.

Reactions: NG Wildman
Sorry but maybe I'm missing something here. If you went home to get a pole, and came back and it was gone, how did that save you $700?
Just curious
I guess I didn't tell the whole story, I went home to get a poll to try to free up the drone from the tree 20 feet up but when I came back the drone was gone it had blown out of the tree and someone picked it up, this was a park with people walking around someone saw the drone picked it up and went home and I had a sticker with my email and the words reward if found. I got an email from him and that was it I gave him 100 bucks figured it was well worth it

Besides the registration # I have my phone # with REWARD above it. I have not lost a drone yet, but as we all know it could happen. Most people are honest, and a drone without the controller is almost worthless to whoever finds it.

Cheers!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes