DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shutter settings for indoor videoing

martycox51

Reactions
I am having difficulty in getting smooth video as I pan while shooting video indoors. It’s extremely jerky. I’m shooting 30 FPS with a shutter speed of 1/60. What settings should I use to get smoother video? Thanks

I am having difficulty in getting smooth video as I pan while shooting video indoors. It’s extremely jerky. I’m shooting 30 FPS with a shutter speed of 1/60. What settings should I use to get smoother video? Thanks

Are you referring to what you see on your live video feed or what playback looks like? And are you recording to an SD card?

I’m using a micro SD card and it looks fine in the live feed.
Does the problem happen with lower resolution recording?
• The write speed of your card may not be fast enough. It needs to be U3 rated.
• Your computer or video card may not be able to play your video.

To clarify, I take it that your live feed is smooth but playback is choppy? Have you tried playing the recorded video on the SD card back using an external card reader? The SD card whould be class 10 or better. Just trying to parse out the issue here.

I’m recording in 4K... I don’t have this kind of issue when I’m taking video outdoors.

What shutter speed is optimum for indoor video when taking 30 FPS? Would a relatively high shutter speed improve the choppiness I’m getting with 1/60?

My SD card is a SanDisk Ultra Plus 32GB. Is that fast enough?

I don’t the the Ultra Plus is U3 designated - only the Exteme and Extreme Pro.

Also stupid question but is the drone panning / rotating smoothly. Without the benefit of gps etc it may not be able to do so perhaps?

Also stupid question but is the drone panning / rotating smoothly. Without the benefit of gps etc it may not be able to do so perhaps?
You can change the speed of pan and tilt in the gimbal settings on your Go4 ap.

Your Sandisk card should be fine. I believe you'll see that it's class 10 speed

Your Sandisk card should be fine. I believe you'll see that it's class 10 speed

Class 10 isn’t enough. There is Class 10 U1 and Class 10 U3.

For 4K recording you need the guaranteed minimum 30mbs write speed only U3 gives.

I am curious. The OP says he does not get the same problem with outdoor video on the same card. Why would write speed of the disk allow smooth video in daylight but not indoors?

Class 10 isn’t enough. There is Class 10 U1 and Class 10 U3.

For 4K recording you need the guaranteed minimum 30mbs write speed only U3 gives.
Yes - 4K needs a U3 rated SD card e.g.
ScanDisk-Extreme-Pro-microSD-press.jpg
Confirm that the SD card you are using is U3 and not U1 ...

Reactions: dannybgoode
My SD card is a SanDisk Ultra Plus 32GB. Is that fast enough?

No - you need a card with a "U3" or "V30" rating. Ignore the fancy names of the cards and just look for those symbols.

You need a card with a minimum sustained write speed faster than 100Mbps (12.5MB/s), and the above ratings guarantee you at least 30 MB/s. U1 / Class 10 cards are only 10MB/s.

Reactions: iowahill
No - you need a card with a "U3" or "V30" rating. Ignore the fancy names of the cards and just look for those symbols.

You need a card with a minimum sustained write speed faster than 100Mbps (12.5MB/s), and the above ratings guarantee you at least 30 MB/s. U1 / Class 10 cards are only 10MB/s.

So much goes on without my learning the nuances of improved tech! The U rating of micro SD cards is just the latest example, and I'm grateful to be informed. I just checked my 128 GB Sandisk Extreme SD card and see that it's U3. I seldom shoot at 4k, favoring 2.7k for reasonably good video that likes post-processing, not to mention the economy of storage versus 4k.

My Samsung 32GB Evo Plus has a U1 marking, but my 32 GB Sandisk Ultra doesn't. Guess I'm going to have to start paying closer attention if and when I shoot at higher rates!

Reactions: CanadaDrone
I can't offer a solution, but I do have a question. My last photography class was LONG ago, so I might be a bit behind, but the OP offers info about shutter speed. From what I remember, that was relevant for stills. But unless I'm missing something new, I don't think it applies to video. Am I wrong?

It's probably the device you are playing it back on. Probably not the drone camera or settings. My dell laptop I get maybe 1 frame per every 15 seconds. On my HP Desktop with a GTX 745 I can watch them smoothly.

What I do (to watch them smoothly on all devices) is to upload them to Google Photos using their free unlimited storage feature. That auto-downgrades them to 1080P, but at least you can watch them without needing a supercomputer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78