DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shutter speed and filters

Last edited:
Reactions: Trevor55 and Scobo
Reactions: MadValley
This fellow in the video, does he have a YouTube URL? I think I’d like to follow him. Thanks.

I just read about this app the other day. Apparently this company makes filters and created this app to help choose the filter. It’s called PolarPro. Search for it in your App Store. (I’m not affiliated and the app is free)

Filter Calculator by PolarPro Filter Calculator on the App Store

Be careful with the cheaper filters only fit them after startup.
Don't forget really good photographers take years to learn their trade and most comes from experience. We have a fantastic work tool to use experiment, adjust and play with enjoy the learning experience.

I find that most of my drone footage is Ok with a high shutter speed and no filter. If you're mainly just flying high above everything then most motion within the shot is minimal in terms of noticing motion blur or the jittery effect because all people and cars in the shot are so small. But for the times when you want to be a little closer to ground or have normal motion like cars moving or even people and other things, then it's good to have filters to keep your shutter speed lower. Also, the motion of your drone itself isn't impacted much by a high or low shutter speed (typically) because the things moving in the frame (or rather the frame moving about the things really) are far away. It's really for close objects when you're flying ground level with actual moving subjects that you will probably prefer a lower shutter speed (ie: 1/60 at 30fps).

I got the filters from DJI and am still testing them out to decide if I really like them (IDK if sometimes they make the image too soft but I have to test it some more and look online what other people's experience is like). But for $30 or whatever they were, it was worth it to test them out. Now I'm trying to find ND filters for my galaxy S8 with my Osmo!

I have found with all my digital cameras when shooting video that without the proper frame rate to shutter speed ratio, the staccato or stuttering is most apparent in lateral movements like yawing and flying sideways to my subject. It may still be present when moving forward or backward, but is much less obvious to me. I love the ND filters and almost always have an 8 or 16 on board.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf