DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shutting off RTH for a remote landing...

JD2020

Reactions
Hello - I just got a Mavic 2 Zoom. I know this is the Mavic Pro area, but I think the answer to my question is probably the same for all Mavics. I believe they all use the same app, but I didn't see a forum for the app.

I watched YouTube video from an owner who lost his Mavic because it tried to fly back to the home point after he landed it remotely (because it was running out of power). After landing it remotely, he drove off in his car to retrieve it, it lost signal with the remote, tried to return to home and crashed. He said that his mistake was not using the auto landing feature.

If you need to land remotely, and you want your Mavic to stay put and not try to RTH, what is the best way to make it stay put so it won't try to return to home?

Thanks!

I didn't think that the Mavic would make or take any flight commands after the motors shut down (if it was shut down) and it would have to be restarted?

I didn't think that the Mavic would make or take any flight commands after the motors shut down (if it was shut down) and it would have to be restarted?
Thanks, but, unfortunately, that doesn't clarify anything as I don't know the answer to your question or under what circumstances the motors would shut down. Also, when you say "take any flight commands," are you referring to commands from the remote control, or internal commands (such as RTH)?

I also don't know what constitutes restarting a Mavic. I presume that starting it is when you press the battery's button to turn it on?

If you need to land remotely, and you want your Mavic to stay put and not try to RTH, what is the best way to make it stay put so it won't try to return to home?
Hello and welcome!
In the Go4 app for the Mavic Pro there is an option for setting the action to take when connection to the RC is lost. Is that what you are looking for?
It is under Main Controller Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Remote Controller Signal Lost.
You can set it to RTH, Hover or Landing.

Small tip: Although everyone can fly a dji drone easily out of the box: read the manual a few times. Even when you (think you) are an experienced pilot. It really helps understanding drone behaviour!
Enjoy your flights!

Hello and welcome!
In the Go4 app for the Mavic Pro there is an option for setting the action to take when connection to the RC is lost. Is that what you are looking for?
It is under Main Controller Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Remote Controller Signal Lost.
You can set it to RTH, Hover or Landing.

Small tip: Although everyone can fly a dji drone easily out of the box: read the manual a few times. Even when you (think you) are an experienced pilot. It really helps understanding drone behaviour!
Enjoy your flights!
Hi FalconLight,

Greetings, and thank you. I appreciate your answer, but it does not address the situation I am describing. I plan to leave RTH on. What I'm asking is this: If I get myself in a situation in which I need to land my Mavic away from the home point, and I want it to stay put and not try to RTH even if it loses signal from the remote, how do I do that?

Thanks, but, unfortunately, that doesn't clarify anything as I don't know the answer to your question or under what circumstances the motors would shut down. Also, when you say "take any flight commands," are you referring to commands from the remote control, or internal commands (such as RTH)?

I also don't know what constitutes restarting a Mavic. I presume that starting it is when you press the battery's button to turn it on?

Sorry, I wasn't very clean, "make" was referring to RTH and "shut down" was when the motors stop and are no longer idling. I don't use RTH very often or ever had an auto landing, but I wouldn't think that it would restart for a landing and shut down and go back to idle and make or take commands for the controller, but I could be wrong. I'll have to try it.

Reactions: JD2020
What I'm asking is this: If I get myself in a situation in which I need to land my Mavic away from the home point, and I want it to stay put and not try to RTH even if it loses signal from the remote, how do I do that?
I'm sorry if I don't understand your question very good. (Something to do with my age or english not being my first language?)
But maybe your answer is in this thread: Prevent landed MP from RTH when connection lost? Especially the test from netfolks2000 in post #13.

I'm sorry if I don't understand your question very good. (Something to do with my age or english not being my first language?)
But maybe your answer is in this thread: Prevent landed MP from RTH when connection lost? Especially the test from netfolks2000 in post #13.
Thank you, that is exactly the information I needed. I read some other threads here, but did not see that one. As far as a language barrier goes, your English is far superior to my Dutch.

Reactions: FalconLight
Thank you, that is exactly the information I needed. I read some other threads here, but did not see that one. As far as a language barrier goes, your English is far superior to my Dutch.
You are welcome. And thank you too for your kind words. Glad I could help. This forum hold a lot of good info and also inhabits a lot of helpfull fellowpilots and enthousiasts. I think it is a rich source. I read and learn a lot here (when my bird is not in the air..).
Happy flying!

I now have a question. When the Mavic auto lands does it keep idling until the battery runs out or does it shut down and stop the idling (without a stick shutdown)?

Greetings, and thank you. I appreciate your answer, but it does not address the situation I am describing. I plan to leave RTH on. What I'm asking is this: If I get myself in a situation in which I need to land my Mavic away from the home point, and I want it to stay put and not try to RTH even if it loses signal from the remote, how do I do that?
This is mutually exclusive, you say you want to "leave RTH on" but that you "don't want it to RTH if signal is lost"...

Sounds like you may want to leave the "Remote Controller Signal Lost" to RTH until you're above the landing point, then switch it to "Landing".

When the Mavic auto lands does it keep idling until the battery runs out or does it shut down and stop the idling (without a stick shutdown)?
Shuts down. You can try it easily...

I now have a question. When the Mavic auto lands does it keep idling until the battery runs out or does it shut down and stop the idling (without a stick shutdown)?
According to the Mavic Pro manual page 55 Auto Landing:
When Landing Protection is on:
- If ground is suitable for landing the AC will land and turn off automaticly
- If ground is not suitable for landing the AC will hover and wait for pilot confirmation
When Landing Protection is off:
- The app will display a landing prompt when AC descends below 0.5 meters. Then pull down the throttle or use the auto landing slider. The AC will then land and turn off automaticly.

This is mutually exclusive, you say you want to "leave RTH on" but that you "don't want it to RTH if signal is lost"...

Sounds like you may want to leave the "Remote Controller Signal Lost" to RTH until you're above the landing point, then switch it to "Landing".

Hi Kilrah - You're rearranging some of my words there in a way that might tend to obscure my original meaning. I'm pretty much always going to start every flight with RTH on, but, if there is a problem during that flight that makes me want to land my Mavic at a remote spot, I want to be able to land it at that remote spot and not have it take off and try to RTH after I've landed it. My question is how do I accomplish that in that specific scenario.

FalconLight referred me to another thread that discussed this. As far as I can tell, there are three ways to do what I want:

1. Once my Mavic is hovering above my desired remote landing spot, I can use Auto Land. This will land the Mavic in such a way that it won't take off again and try to RTH.
2. Once my Mavic is hovering above my desired remote landing spot, I can swipe left on the screen and select the Mavic's new location as the new home point.

There is a video from @Qoncussion in that linked thread that addresses this situation. From his tests in that video, it seems that if your motors turn off when you land, and your Mavic then loses the signal from the remote control, RTH will not kick in and cause the Mavic to fly home. However, if you land at a remote spot and your motors don't turn off, and your Mavic then loses the signal from the remote control, Qoncussion's tests reveal that the Mavic will take off and RTH.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dronedevices
Hi Kilrah - You're rearranging some of my words there. I'm pretty much always going to start every flight with RTH on, but, if there is a problem during that flight that makes me want to land my Mavic at a remote spot, I want to be able to land it at that remote spot and not have it take off and try to RTH after I've landed it. My question is how do I accomplish that in that specific scenario.

FalconLight referred me to another thread that discussed this. As far as I can tell, there are three ways to do what I want:

1. Once my Mavic is hovering above my desired remote landing spot, I can use Auto Land. This will land the Mavic in such a way that it won't take off again and try to RTH.
2. Once my Mavic is hovering above my desired remote landing spot, I can swipe left on the screen and select the Mavic's new location as the new home point.

There is a video from @Qoncussion in that linked thread that addresses this situation. From his tests in that video, it seems that if your motors turn off when you land, and your Mavic then loses the signal from the remote control, RTH will not kick in and cause the Mavic to fly home. However, if you land at a remote spot and your motors don't turn off, and your Mavic then loses the signal from the remote control, Qoncussion's tests reveal that the Mavic will take off and RTH.

I think your auto-land scenario sounds, well, "sound" (good idea). It would guarantee landing and motor shutdown. If you wanted an insurance policy on that auto-land, then add in setting a new home point just prior to auto-landing. If you are successful, AND you maintain a signal to the RC after landing, just watch the RPMs on the RC screen to make sure they drop to zero. All in all, it sounds like you're on the right path.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omni_Aerial