DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Signal booster

Searley

Reactions
Hi all, has anyone upgraded their antennas to boost signal? I've seen such upgrades like alienteck but wondering if they are worth it

I lost signal signal today for the first time flying (flying about a month) and the drone returned home. I started to look into boosting the signal and my kid sent me to a link on Amazon for a "RCGEEK Drone Range Extender Signal Booster" . Does anyone know if these work?

I lost signal signal today for the first time flying (flying about a month) and the drone returned home. I started to look into boosting the signal and my kid sent me to a link on Amazon for a "RCGEEK Drone Range Extender Signal Booster" . Does anyone know if these work?
Hensych Aluminum Remote Controller Antenna Signal Booster. I tried these off amazon and get a better signal imo

Definitely following. I have seen videos on how to install aftermarket antenna into the DJI controller, seems simple enough, just curious if its worth going with aftermarket antennas vs the stock antenna. Searching youtube shows mixed results, with some after market antennas severely DECREASING the range, so definitely wouldn't want to cheap out and mod for loss of range.

From what I've seen those 'parabolic' wifi extenders for like $10 that you just pop onto your controller seem to give a pretty decent boost in range, especially considering the price/convenience

Definitely following. I have seen videos on how to install aftermarket antenna into the DJI controller, seems simple enough, just curious if its worth going with aftermarket antennas vs the stock antenna. Searching youtube shows mixed results, with some after market antennas severely DECREASING the range, so definitely wouldn't want to cheap out and mod for loss of range.

From what I've seen those 'parabolic' wifi extenders for like $10 that you just pop onto your controller seem to give a pretty decent boost in range, especially considering the price/convenience

I’d go for those parabolic wifi extenders as my first choice of increasing range. I personally do not fly beyond vlos or “hearing line of sound”.. but tampering with the remotes internals sounds like a no no, even if a after market manufacturer claims they’re safe. I guess it would void warranty as well.

I’d go for those parabolic wifi extenders as my first choice of increasing range. I personally do not fly beyond vlos or “hearing line of sound”.. but tampering with the remotes internals sounds like a no no, even if a after market manufacturer claims they’re safe. I guess it would void warranty as well.

Yes it would certainly void warranty, but it has already been done by dozens of Youtubers and pretty reputable companies like DroneNerds and MaxxUAV offer installation of aftermarkets as a service. From the videos Ive seen it only requires removing like 10 screws from controller, popping out the stock antennas and replacing. The parabolic wifi extenders are definitely the way to go if not wanting to tamper with remote or void warranty though. From videos I've seen of youtubers doing comparison videos, they actually provide more range than some of the aftermarket antennas. My conclusion was that the stock antennas on DJI MM are actually fairly decent

max 4hawks raptor SR range: ~400m

standard dji mavic mini range 1000m+:

(max range I could get with a 5$ signal reflector and stock antenna was 2020m on 2.4Ghz, whereas the 4hawks lost signal in less than 100m on 2.4Ghz, could not even lift off properly)
max_range_stock_antenna.jpg

Also accessories were missing from the box on arrival.
After sending it back, 4hawks said the antenna was working fine and "4Hawks does not guarantee a specific range". You decide.

ps: installing this antenna will most certainly mess up your controller and will 100% void your warranty. Do not think you can revert to stock and no one will notice :)

Last edited:
The cheapo parabolic booster, does help, but it's incremental...by a small amount from the multiple reviews I have seen in a fairly less-dense urban area. From whats been posted above, I've certainly been put off 4Hawks. Looking for more cases and examples to help confirm the issue isn't just with 1 individual...

RoOSTA

I saw this guy's video before buying. I thought it was a one off... 'till i got mine, lol, and I got the same results

Last edited:
I saw this guy's video before buying. I thought it was a one off... 'till i got mine, lol It seems to be a gamble with these things.

So I'm assuming it works pretty well for you? How much additional distance are you able to get?

No, it's been complete crap for me also. Max i could reach was ~400m, whereas with stock antenna 2000m

Well thats no good... I've heard some people claiming the 4hawks XR is pretty good but at the cost and time it takes to install.. might as well buy an Air 2. Lol

Well thats no good... I've heard some people claiming the 4hawks XR is pretty good but at the cost and time it takes to install.. might as well buy an Air 2. Lol
putting an XR on your controller is like walking around with a parabolic dish on your mobile. Definitely Air2 is a better option than spending your money on 4hawks's stuff.

Reactions: fpvaddict
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21