DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Signal Interference

Lets Fly

Reactions
Would some of you know what would be the main reason for getting a warning of "Strong Signal Interference"?
When I fly from my house after about 700 feet I get the warning. There is a cell tower about 2,000 feet away but that should not effect the AC.
I have a steel roof on the house and was wondering if the signal could get interfered with from that.

Would some of you know what would be the main reason for getting a warning of "Strong Signal Interference"?
When I fly from my house after about 700 feet I get the warning. There is a cell tower about 2,000 feet away but that should not effect the AC.
I have a steel roof on the house and was wondering if the signal could get interfered with from that.
There are so many things that can interfere that I don't think anyone can give you a definite answer. It would be helpful to know what drone you are flying. Models like the P3S, Spark, MM, and MA all use simple WiFi technology for the communication between remote and drone so those are even more susceptible to all sorts of "normal" signals that you find most anywhere.

My Toyota Tundra, turned off, in the driveway causes a lot of interference. I cannot have the AC or the RC within 6 feet of it or it won’t fly and recalibrate compass warning. Move away and all notices stop. Also, once in the air, if I move the remote closer to the truck I get the strong interference message. I’ve only had this problem with the P3S and now the MM. Not on my P4’s. My Honda van, no problem.

That's weird.
I would have panicked with the new MM, if I had not already seen it on the P3S. Identical. They also like to fly toward it on the way home. And that's the truth. That's weird.

I hope the virgin pilots that get these new drones, quickly understand its limitations. Or soon there will be a bunch of dead baby birds on the ground. Or in trees, ponds, ocean, etc.

Well all Mavics would be affected by magnetic interference. I'd expect that near a truck, but not 6ft from it.

Well all Mavics would be affected by magnetic interference. I'd expect that near a truck, but not 6ft from it.
All good. Once I realized Yoda and Lil-Bird had the hots spots for each other, I found it best to manually keep them separated. Thus the 6ft rule. Yoda’s a great truck but a WiFi thief. If they ever mate, it could get ugly. Care refresh to the rescue.

Reactions: mereflyer
My Toyota Tundra, turned off, in the driveway causes a lot of interference. I cannot have the AC or the RC within 6 feet of it or it won’t fly and recalibrate compass warning. Move away and all notices stop. Also, once in the air, if I move the remote closer to the truck I get the strong interference message. I’ve only had this problem with the P3S and now the MM. Not on my P4’s. My Honda van, no problem.
It's probably because the Tundra is body on frame and the Odyssey is unibody. Depending on which models you have, the Toyota probably weighs 1200 to 1500 more than the Honda. Apparently heavy enough to have it's own magnetic field :cool:

Thanks for the replies. Interesting, I fly the MA and will have to do so more testing around my house. I do not get any interference any where else I fly. Come to think of it, I take off while standing by my car all the time, Dodge Charger R/T no problem.

It may be that the Tundra has been magnetized. Once steel or iron is magnetized, it doesn’t loose it easily. The Honda may not have gotten magnetized. A fairly easy way to magnetize a steel vehicle would be the use of jumper cables. The heavy DC current will magnetized any steel in contact with the cable or even close to it.

Any kind of steel close to drones should be avoided If you like your drone.

Reactions: Capt KO
It may be that the Tundra has been magnetized. Once steel or iron is magnetized, it doesn’t loose it easily. The Honda may not have gotten magnetized. A fairly easy way to magnetize a steel vehicle would be the use of jumper cables. The heavy DC current will magnetized any steel in contact with the cable or even close to it.

Any kind of steel close to drones should be avoided If you like your drone.
Thanks. I thought it was something simple like that. ??Makes sense.

Still, 6 feet?
And that usually doesn't affect radio frequencies.
Yep, 6ft or no fly. Only those 2 WiFi birds. At 5ft, or less, I get notice to recalibrate compass to fly. Move away 1 more foot, message goes away. Move RC close during flight, gives a “strong interference” warning. Can fly P4’s from the truck bed!

Thanks. I thought it was something simple like that. ??Makes sense.
Easy enough to check. You get a cheap EMF meter for $25-$35. Then compare the Tundra to the Honda.

Reactions: Capt KO
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman