DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Signal on mini 3 seems awful. I am getting worried.

With the introduction of EVLOS and BVLOS endorsements for licensed pilots, a few are indeed able to fly out to max range under certain conditions. As this is probably the premier site/forums for getting information on a wide variety of drones, its quite feasible for an interest in maximum range.
The reason we are seeing little information, is that people are getting sick and tired of being berated by other members who just love to show how smart they are by explaining line of site rules and how far they can see.

I think it fair that this should be mentioned for new pilots that may not understand, but it has become a constant barrage.
Ill be conducting testing, yes legally, but im really thinking that ill not bother posting results here and will prob look for somewhere else to share information
Good morning to all-
anzacjack- Please let us know if there is another site where information can be shared without us getting kicked for displeasing certain other members who MUST dictate regulations to us.
thanks Ed

Reactions: Jam0ne and Jorgeo65
Good morning to all-
anzacjack- Please let us know if there is another site where information can be shared without us getting kicked for displeasing certain other members who MUST dictate regulations to us.
thanks Ed
the problem is that there isnt really anywhere like this.
Youtube is just full of people who ARE breaking rules for "likes" and the majority dont care about, or have no idea about the rules. I dont really want to enter that space and other forums are no where near as good as these.
Here is the ideal place, and we should be able to self regulate and help/advise others that may be new to the industry. BUT..as you know and see, there are just to many people here that want to jump on anyone that isnt flying or operating to a specific set of rules that do not apply to every one, everywhere, all of the time.
If one person were to add reminders about VLOS restrictions that apply to most flyers, I would consider that as reasonable. But then to have a dozen others also jumping on to say the same thing, it just gets tedious.
VLOS is discussed throughout this entire forum many, many times, with very good explanations and requirements. I dont see it necessary reminded and it to be added to every post that discusses range and endurance.
There was a time when we had whole threads dedicated to range and endurance, but now we have to take the lowest common denominator into account and treat any information from such threads as illegal thrill seekers that live to break the law.
Im getting tired of seeing VLOS and AGL explained and debated over and over. I say have a sticky thread for each with good explanations with some examples of possible exclusions and lock it. Then if someone appears to have no understanding, send them to that thread.
Thats my 2 cents worth.

I am not disparaging these forums. I believe they ARE the best source of information for all things RPAS/UAV/UAS/Drones/multirotors etc on the net. They represent society in general. I often get the same "experts" telling me about rules and regs in the field, Unfortunately I have to put up with that, but i dont need to put up with it online and i can just choose not to participate

For anyone interested I have conducted 3 range connection tests on the mini 3 and new controller.
I can say with confidence it has passed all tests, it did over 3km before I lost a couple of bars, could of gone to a least 5k, but it was unnecessary for me, I never go past 1km, but With all the controversy about range problems I had to see for myself, and it passed with flying colours, at least here in Australia.
I'm so happy I sold my mav 2 for the mini, the new controller makes things so much easier, and I think I will b using the mini much more then the mavic.
I won't bother posting my utube here, it will upset to many people, even though the 3km test was conducted on private property. We are living in times where we are over governed and governments that claim they are keeping us safe, in reality just like to impose their power over us. If the us government cared about its people they wouldn't of sent 60 billion to Ukraine for weapons, imagine what 60 billion could do for its own people.
Anyway, thats my rant for today, sorry for going off subject. Conclusion is mini 3 and new controller is a great product.

Reactions: DTBA
For anyone interested I have conducted 3 range connection tests on the mini 3 and new controller.
I can say with confidence it has passed all tests, it did over 3km before I lost a couple of bars, could of gone to a least 5k, but it was unnecessary for me, I never go past 1km, but With all the controversy about range problems I had to see for myself, and it passed with flying colours, at least here in Australia.
I'm so happy I sold my mav 2 for the mini, the new controller makes things so much easier, and I think I will b using the mini much more then the mavic.
I won't bother posting my utube here, it will upset to many people, even though the 3km test was conducted on private property. We are living in times where we are over governed and governments that claim they are keeping us safe, in reality just like to impose their power over us. If the us government cared about its people they wouldn't of sent 60 billion to Ukraine for weapons, imagine what 60 billion could do for its own people.
Anyway, thats my rant for today, sorry for going off subject. Conclusion is mini 3 and new controller is a great product.
You are lucky you are in Australia and subject to FCC transmission most of the issues I have seen with really bad range are CE like your best neighbours over here in New Zealand :)

6. Data is tested under FCC standards in unobstructed environments of typical interference. Only to serve as a reference and provides no guarantee as to the actual flight distance.
Max one-way communication distance of DJI Mini 3 Pro in countries/regions of different standards:
FCC: United States, Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Chile, Colombia, Puerto Rico, and other regions. Max transmission range: 12 km
SRRC: Mainland China. Max transmission range: 8 km
CE: UK, Russia, France, Germany, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, Macau, New Zealand, UAE, and other regions. Max transmission range: 8 km
MIC: Japan. Max transmission distance: 8 km

Also how do you find the DJI RC out in the sun? Cheers

You are lucky you are in Australia and subject to FCC transmission
I know that it has been listed that we’re on FCC in some places but actually were actually on CE for 2.4 and SRRC for 5.8

I know that it has been listed that we’re on FCC in some places but actually were actually on CE for 2.4 and SRRC for 5.8
I did find it weird OZ being on FCC almost everything else here is the same as OZ (except we have much better Rugby players 🙃) if that is the case that is really encouraging but why would DJI have it down as FCC? Maybe the high population density in UK is a issue that we aren't getting but doesn't explain the reports in seemingly remote areas where there is an issue (but come to think of it how many of those have I seen?) Most of my drone flying is in places you can't even see a house so maybe I'll be fine?

I did find it weird OZ being on FCC almost everything else here is the same as O
In Aus and NZ we pretty well follow the U.K. in most everything like that. SRRC on 5Ghz is basically the same as FCC anyway so we don’t lose much there and to be honest as anyone with a background in radcoms will tell you at output levels as low as either FCC or CE for an LIPD (low interference potential device) the antenna is by far and away the most important consideration.

That in itself is what bothers me the most about the Mini 3 Pro controller. I wasn’t a big fan when they moved the antennas into the device cradle on the RC-N1 but at least the antenna is away from your hands. I much prefer to see a couple of seperate 1/2 wave dipoles on the front ah la Mavic 2 / Phantom 4 but the new controller where the antenna are in the little plastic lips hanging down at the front is a poor design in my opinion and as a comms tech I flatter myself that I have half a clue.

Any object within a 1/2 wave length of your antenna has the potential to severely degrade the performance of the antenna array. At 2.4Ghz that a bit over 6cm and about 2.5cm on 5Ghz. It degrades the signal pattern and causes the tuning of the antenna (VSWR) to go out and actually reflects power back into the final output device. Anyone who remembers back in the old days of CB or who is a radio ham like myself can tell you that at higher outputs high VSWR like that can actually damage your transmitter. It’s not going to damage your device at the very low output levels we have with drones but it’s still really suboptimal.

Also at these frequencies the signal will actually be absorbed to some degree by anything too close and the design of the controller means that your fingers are almost guaranteed to be behind those antennas or worse even in front if you have big hands meaning it’s going to have some degree of effect on the antennas.

I’m not surprised that we are hearing about wildly varying results from person to person. Remember to keep your fingers away from those antennas as much as absolutely possible is my best advice.

Regards
Ari

Reactions: Stach and Bussty
I do remember a similar situation with the Mini 2 when that was first released and everyone then (including myself) was complaining about its CE signal strength and range on this forum. Is it possible, as with the Mini 2, they will improve the transmission signal of the M3P with later firmware updates? I for one am quite happy with it from what I have seen so far, but I’m not one who likes to fly it out stupidly far away from me as that is not why I enjoy the hobby.

Having said that I do understand the concerns around signal strength in close proximity, high interference areas.

I went to IKEA in Croydon last night and flew around the twin chimney towers there. I was standing about 250-300 metres away and it only dropped 1 bar of signal when I flew it around the other side of the second tower which obstructed LOS between the drone and the controller. But apart from that it got the job done and the video feed was still solid.

Lets not forget that the Mini 3 Pro is new and still has scope to improve over time with updates.

Reactions: Bussty
I should have also mentioned, the signal problems with the mini 2 at it’s release were more noticeable to me then than the Mini 3’s are now. I’m not sure why that is, maybe O3 is just a much more stable transmission system, despite the limitations with the controller’s antennas.

Reactions: Bussty
I should have also mentioned, the signal problems with the mini 2 at it’s release were more noticeable to me then than the Mini 3’s are now. I’m not sure why that is, maybe O3 is just a much more stable transmission system, despite the limitations with the controller’s antennas.
Thanks, good to know :)

In Aus and NZ we pretty well follow the U.K. in most everything like that. SRRC on 5Ghz is basically the same as FCC anyway so we don’t lose much there and to be honest as anyone with a background in radcoms will tell you at output levels as low as either FCC or CE for an LIPD (low interference potential device) the antenna is by far and away the most important consideration.

That in itself is what bothers me the most about the Mini 3 Pro controller. I wasn’t a big fan when they moved the antennas into the device cradle on the RC-N1 but at least the antenna is away from your hands. I much prefer to see a couple of seperate 1/2 wave dipoles on the front ah la Mavic 2 / Phantom 4 but the new controller where the antenna are in the little plastic lips hanging down at the front is a poor design in my opinion and as a comms tech I flatter myself that I have half a clue.

Any object within a 1/2 wave length of your antenna has the potential to severely degrade the performance of the antenna array. At 2.4Ghz that a bit over 6cm and about 2.5cm on 5Ghz. It degrades the signal pattern and causes the tuning of the antenna (VSWR) to go out and actually reflects power back into the final output device. Anyone who remembers back in the old days of CB or who is a radio ham like myself can tell you that at higher outputs high VSWR like that can actually damage your transmitter. It’s not going to damage your device at the very low output levels we have with drones but it’s still really suboptimal.

Also at these frequencies the signal will actually be absorbed to some degree by anything too close and the design of the controller means that your fingers are almost guaranteed to be behind those antennas or worse even in front if you have big hands meaning it’s going to have some degree of effect on the antennas.

I’m not surprised that we are hearing about wildly varying results from person to person. Remember to keep your fingers away from those antennas as much as absolutely possible is my best advice.

Regards
Ari
Great advice and thanks for sharing that knowledge. I'm assuming it's not just about the RC antennas but also the ones in the drone. What's your hunch as to which ones are causing the most issues? Many thanks

Great advice and thanks for sharing that knowledge. I'm assuming it's not just about the RC antennas but also the ones in the drone. What's your hunch as to which ones are causing the most issues? Many thanks
By and large none of the antenna designs in any of the DJI drones are going to win any awards, drones have many times been demonstrated to radiate better in some directions and quite a few reviews show marked difference in the link between the drone facing towards vs facing away but the fact the very short wave lengths of the frequencies involved lead to very small resonant lengths for the antennas means that at least there is some latitude on where to place them within the drone.

Again, the positioning of the antenna in the small mouldings on the bottom of the case of the Mini 3 Pro is less optimal than being in the vertical legs of previous models but it’s not going to be an earth shattering difference and of course the drone being positioned in free space means minimal interaction with environmental factors.

I’d be concentrating on keeping my fingers away from the antennas on the controller as I mentioned earlier and keep the orientation of the controller antenna as closely towards the drone as possible.

In the case of the mini 3 Pro I think what we get is what we are going to get as the internal antennas really make it hard to add on aftermarket antennas and boosters as we have seen done with earlier drones.

By and large none of the antenna designs in any of the DJI drones are going to win any awards, drones have many times been demonstrated to radiate better in some directions and quite a few reviews show marked difference in the link between the drone facing towards vs facing away but the fact the very short wave lengths of the frequencies involved lead to very small resonant lengths for the antennas means that at least there is some latitude on where to place them within the drone.

Again, the positioning of the antenna in the small mouldings on the bottom of the case of the Mini 3 Pro is less optimal than being in the vertical legs of previous models but it’s not going to be an earth shattering difference and of course the drone being positioned in free space means minimal interaction with environmental factors.

I’d be concentrating on keeping my fingers away from the antennas on the controller as I mentioned earlier and keep the orientation of the controller antenna as closely towards the drone as possible.

In the case of the mini 3 Pro I think what we get is what we are going to get as the internal antennas really make it hard to add on aftermarket antennas and boosters as we have seen done with earlier drones.
Awesome advice thanks again. 👍

Regards
Ari
Thanks for this information, take my hat off to you! Just did a test and you are spot on with regards to how the DJ RC is held affecting the signal.

When holding naturally (large hands) i was covering the back of the controller and using fingers along the top. Just tested whilst holding the controller a lot more gently and the signal difference is noticeable.

The difference when holding the controller so fingers do not pass the rubber grips on back is about 2 bars extra at range than when holding the controller 'naturally'!

So need to hold the controller with care, don't wrap fingers round top or past the grips on the back - signal markedly improved. Also make sure the controller is pointed at the drone both in elevation and bearing.

That's it, now absolutely happy with the Mini 3.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian