DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Signal on mini 3 seems awful. I am getting worried.

the correct comparison would be if you buy the car and then go complaining that you cannot accelerate to 140 in crowded city streets, even though you paid for a 140mph car, you can only break the law by 10mph before you crash into something at 30mph.

• Signal Transmission Ranges
    (FCC) [6]​

• Strong Interference (urban landscape): Approx. 1.5-3 km
    Medium Interference (suburban landscape): Approx. 3-7 km
    Low Interference (suburb/seaside): Approx. 7-12 km
I have seen a lot of people not getting over 300m with line of sight in areas (urban landscape): Approx. 1.5-3 km
So just say that is not 100% correct then

the correct comparison would be if you buy the car and then go complaining that you cannot accelerate to 140 in crowded city streets, even though you paid for a 140mph car, you can only break the law by 10mph before you crash into something at 30mph.

• Signal Transmission Ranges
    (FCC) [6]​

• Strong Interference (urban landscape): Approx. 1.5-3 km
    Medium Interference (suburban landscape): Approx. 3-7 km
    Low Interference (suburb/seaside): Approx. 7-12 km
I have a Mini 3 Pro, in Canada, I can tell you right now, it does not get 3-7 kms in suburban areas, it doesnt even get 1.5-3 km

I took it out to a somewhat rural area today over some farmland, started getting signal loss at 600m, with line of sight

• Wow
Reactions: jedi2155
The antenna design on the RC looks really inadequate, if mine does this I will return it in a hot second and not look back.

I’m not even going to open the two flymore kits until I see the results I expect from the basic kit.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpinItUp
I have a Mini 3 Pro, in Canada, I can tell you right now, it does not get 3-7 kms in suburban areas, it doesnt even get 1.5-3 km

I took it out to a somewhat rural area today over some farmland, started getting signal loss at 600m, with line of sight
DJI are more than likely going to push the RC pro to support it and leave the kids toy like controller for the kids to play with that barely gets beyond the garden fence

When I first tested it out in the backyard, even straight above me the sticks would not respond to movements and there was lag.
I have seen a lot of people not getting over 300m with line of sight in areas (urban landscape): Approx. 1.5-3 km
So just say that is not 100% correct then
I think there might be some hardware issue with your controller specifically. I was able to fly over city almost 1.85 km before my signal dropped and drone initiated RTH. I flew 1.5 km away from me when taking photos of a rock formation, and the signal dropped only after I flew behind it. I flew on a hill that has a tower with loads of antenae on it (overviewing whole city, so probably serving all kinds of wireless for it), and after a while I realized my drone is behind a tree line from me, inbetween tower and city (and roughly 1.5 km out), and the signal was still solid.
I havent modified my antenae at all, its all straight from factory, in EU country so limited transmit power.

If you had stuttering and lag while the drone was directly above you, theres either something wrong with your drone/controller, or someone is jamming whole spectrum of 2.4 and 5.8 GHz of signal near where you live.

Last edited:
Reactions: test2000Anafi
If you had stuttering and lag while the drone was directly above you, theres either something wrong with your drone/controller, or someone is jamming whole spectrum of 2.4 and 5.8 GHz of signal near where you live.
Thank you Sherlock

In stock form out of the factory yes there is and is what I am trying to tell/show you.
I changed the hardware to better signal transmitter-receivers and my issues were toast.

(Inappropriate Remark Removed )

Last edited by a moderator:
Just sent mine up over the back garden to take some pictures of the clouds at sunset. It lost signal twice (RC interference) and tried to return to home. Directly overhead, 120m. With the new RC. Never experienced anything like that with the mini 2. Didn't even have my phone in my pocket.

So... an update.

I've flown it around a fair amount over the past few weeks and... haven't had a single connection loss or any return to homes. I've flown in some pretty congested areas, as I'm based in London, UK. Haven't tried to send it very far away (the furthest I got out was 533m before bringing it back because a swift kept darting around it).

I don't know if something was changed in the controller firmware update, but it's not something that worries me before flying now and I don't find myself trying to accurately position the controller or worrying about where I have my fingers on the controller.

I have had quite a bit of bird attention though - the swift mentioned above and a seagull persistently squawking and circling it for a while in Croydon. So next step is to try and get a skin on it. I had something with black and yellow stripes for the mini 2 and never had much bother, except from pigeons, who would circle in a group for a bit, shortly after take off but disappear once the drone was taken up higher and brought down again. Was hoping to emulate danger markings found in nature (yellow-black or red-black). Doesn't seem to be anything available atm, so just playing the waiting game and keeping vigilant.

I've found power transformers on the ground seem to affect when flying above them (even 120m above) as they are shown in Airmap app where they are and it corresponds to my poor signal locations for the most part.
Still don't regret hacking into my controller for the better signal though!

So... an update.

I've flown it around a fair amount over the past few weeks and... haven't had a single connection loss or any return to homes. I've flown in some pretty congested areas, as I'm based in London, UK. Haven't tried to send it very far away (the furthest I got out was 533m before bringing it back because a swift kept darting around it).

I don't know if something was changed in the controller firmware update, but it's not something that worries me before flying now and I don't find myself trying to accurately position the controller or worrying about where I have my fingers on the controller.

I have had quite a bit of bird attention though - the swift mentioned above and a seagull persistently squawking and circling it for a while in Croydon. So next step is to try and get a skin on it. I had something with black and yellow stripes for the mini 2 and never had much bother, except from pigeons, who would circle in a group for a bit, shortly after take off but disappear once the drone was taken up higher and brought down again. Was hoping to emulate danger markings found in nature (yellow-black or red-black). Doesn't seem to be anything available atm, so just playing the waiting game and keeping vigilant.

I've flown the M3P near two colonies of Purple Martins and both groups seemed extremely interested. They orbited around the drone at a distance of about 15 feet but never showed any aggressive inclinations. I don't recall them being so interested in the Minis or the Air 2S.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven