DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Signal on mini 3 seems awful. I am getting worried.

Is this an argument!

Yes, it is so I'll just let you run with it.

As it has a Pro moniker I wouldn't expect it to feel like a Ficher Price Toy and have all the features that can't be used in most environments it's aimed at performing in

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
OH, I get it.

Pro as in the antennae shouldn't be associated with being Pro

You mean your 'pro-endorsement' has nothing to do with the actual range or design, but merely the fact that you broke them when trying to disassemble the device?

So now I really see what you were getting at, my disassembly of the RC and you decided to criticize my effort
Nowhere did I criticise your effort. I initially thought you possessed the ability to rate the quality of the components/ transmission system used based on visual inspection or something.

OK it's totally fine. However, I may come across on my thoughts of what the controller is like, tbh I think it totally sucks to pay for a quality drone and get an underperforming controller.
I took it apart as the issues with connection are being shown/commented all over the web.
When I first tested it out in the backyard, even straight above me the sticks would not respond to movements and there was lag.
If I could directly speak to the designer of the hidden antenna I would say nothing and kick them straight in the ( inappropriate comment)
Changing the aerials to standard directional ones that the world of remote control has known for decades and is trusted works flawlessly.
Possessing the ability to rate the design is all I have a quip with. Okay maybe I was a bit heavy-handed taking the controller apart and my comment came across wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Faster and Torque
I got one flight in earlier this morning. Stayed VLOS (Approx 1300ft) but varied altitude between 50ft and 300ft and had no drop in signal. Lots of homes where I fly (So. Cal) and my Air 2 video transmission stutters at 50ft so for me this was promising. I am more interested in maintaining a strong signal within VLOS than achieving maximum distance anyway. Again only one flight so may have been lucky.

Never had any drop while maintaining VLOS with the DJI RC. Really seems excellent design. Also love the weight and balance of the controller

I understand but IMO firmware can fixed drop signal.

What if the pilot is dropped (as a baby) and as a result, is unable to follow international drone aviation laws and can only fly beyond visual line of sight? How are you going to fix that? Tighter regulation? The front lights flash 3 random colors and you need to input them on the controller each time to allow an additional 100m of range?

I understand but IMO firmware can fixed drop signal.
Yes, it most certainly can, for a wide range of technical reasons.

DJI (like most applications these days) uses a SDR chipset in both the drone, and the RC. It's how the RC-N1 was upgraded from O2 to O3 via firmware.

Reactions: Torque and SpinItUp
If ye spent 40,000 on a new car that the manufacturer said had a top speed of 140mph , but when you drove it out of the showroom you realized its top speed was limited to 85mph would ye be ok with that ? 85 being the legal limit and you should never need to go over 85mph.

Reactions: davemorts
If ye spent 40,000 on a new car that the manufacturer said had a top speed of 140mph , but when you drove it out of the showroom you realized its top speed was limited to 85mph would ye be ok with that ? 85 being the legal limit and you should never need to go over 85mph.
"You're driving it wrong!@" 😜

Reactions: MavicMike55
This:

M4umdHv.jpg
Ok. I have to ask where that is and what's going on there? Rusty truck museum?

the correct comparison would be if you buy the car and then go complaining that you cannot accelerate to 140 in crowded city streets, even though you paid for a 140mph car, you can only break the law by 10mph before you crash into something at 30mph.

• Signal Transmission Ranges
    (FCC) [6]​

• Strong Interference (urban landscape): Approx. 1.5-3 km
    Medium Interference (suburban landscape): Approx. 3-7 km
    Low Interference (suburb/seaside): Approx. 7-12 km

Reactions: Xblog and SpinItUp
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members