DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Silicone and solder connections

sarniac

Reactions
I've done limited repairs on P2s and a Mavic Pro involving soldering wires to a printed circuit board. In most cases, there has been a coating (silicone?) covering the soldered connection. I'm guessing this is to provide waterproofing and vibration protection to the soldered connection.

I would like to get clarification on the purpose of the 'goop' DJI has over connections; and if it is silicone, what type do you recommend?

Thank you for reading and hopefully commenting.

I have not done any work on the mavic, but on the fpv drones I build I do use hot glue on the wires after soldering them in, as strain relief in the event of a crash and electrical isolation.

Reactions: sonof40
Most printed circuit boards have what is called a. Conformal coating. It is intended to keep air away from the electronics and their connections to reduce corrosion problems. It can be made from a number of different compounds depending on the specifications of the manufacturer. Strain relief is best handled by creating some slack in the wire before the actual connection point, and anchoring the point that creates the slack to something unmovable with a clamp, cable tie, or other physical restraint. You could do it with glue if you anchored the slack point to the pcb. Glueing the actual connection only provides slight improvement.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98