DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Skellig Michael - the Star Wars island

bzmot

Reactions
I have been meaning to post this story for a while. Recently I went on a trip to Ireland with the main purpose of visiting the famed Skellig islands, which featured prominently in the most recent Star Wars franchise, the Last Jedi, as Luke's remote dwelling place. There are a handful of operators that make the 10 mile odd trip from the coast of Kerry in the season, between mid-May and mid-September (off season the seas are too rough); they're mainly fishermen, who have reinvented themselves into tourist guides. So on account of the immense popularity of the trip after the movie came out, you need to book well ahead. The islands are just pieces of sharp rock protruding from the sea and the main one, Skellig Michael, has a 6-th century early Christian monastery (which featured in the movie as well) and you can land on it and do a tour. So this is what I did and I brought a drone with me. The passage was pretty rough with half of the passengers (all Americans) throwing up. My girlfriend threw up too. Luckily the captain got us covered (years of experience I suppose) and was quick to hand out little buckets. Unfortunately after holding my gf's puke in my hand for a few minutes in this mad swell I though it be good to just chuck the contents overboard. Sadly, I forgot about the wind so the whole thing was immediately blown back on one of the passengers raincoat. Imagine my embarassment...

Anyway, I digress. As soon as we landed the weather cleared and we started to climb to the top where the monastery is. I brought the M2Z with me so at the trailhead I was looking for signs saying No Drones. I didn't find any. So when we did the visit and listened to a guide speak, on our way down I stopped and launched the bird for a few minutes. Didn't fly over people or buildings, just over the ocean and some cliffs.

When we were coming back down to the pier there was a local guide and she asked me if I was the one operating the drone. I said yes. She said they weren't allowed on account of this being a bird sanctuary (hundreds of gannets and some puffins, which also feature in the movie, sort of). I said I was sorry but didn't see any sign. She says there's a note on the website so I ask which website. She says the one where I booked the tour. I said I booked this on www.skelligboat.com and there is nothing about drones. Again, I said I was sorry and returned to the pier. I guess my bad for not asking.

When I was at the pier, a passenger from our boat caught up with me, and started laying into me. He was pretty aggressive and demanded to know if I'd been rude to the guide. I said no (he really threw me off with this question). Then he started his speech about how irresponsible, look at the birds, blablabla, look at the signs (no signs), look at the website (again, no mention on my website), how he's a certified drone pilot (as am I in fact) and a lot of other unpleasantness. Frankly I was too surprised that someone is behaving like that (I don't really think it was his place to be doing that) that before I composed myself he was gone.

The moral of the story: it is illegal to fly a drone in Skellig Islands, which is a pity, because it's a dream location: remote, rugged, beautiful. Apparently this ban didn't apply to Hollywood producers (plenty of drone footage in the movie and in promotional videos), but I guess that is to be expected. I only wish the Irish government would put up some signs to make it obvious drones aren't allowed in the area. Yeah, I did not inform myself properly, so my fault I guess. Still, I got some very nice vids from the island so not all is lost :)

If you haven't visited yet, you should.

I have been meaning to post this story for a while. Recently I went on a trip to Ireland with the main purpose of visiting the famed Skellig islands, which featured prominently in the most recent Star Wars franchise, the Last Jedi, as Luke's remote dwelling place. There are a handful of operators that make the 10 mile odd trip from the coast of Kerry in the season, between mid-May and mid-September (off season the seas are too rough); they're mainly fishermen, who have reinvented themselves into tourist guides. So on account of the immense popularity of the trip after the movie came out, you need to book well ahead. The islands are just pieces of sharp rock protruding from the sea and the main one, Skellig Michael, has a 6-th century early Christian monastery (which featured in the movie as well) and you can land on it and do a tour. So this is what I did and I brought a drone with me. The passage was pretty rough with half of the passengers (all Americans) throwing up. My girlfriend threw up too. Luckily the captain got us covered (years of experience I suppose) and was quick to hand out little buckets. Unfortunately after holding my gf's puke in my hand for a few minutes in this mad swell I though it be good to just chuck the contents overboard. Sadly, I forgot about the wind so the whole thing was immediately blown back on one of the passengers raincoat. Imagine my embarassment...

Anyway, I digress. As soon as we landed the weather cleared and we started to climb to the top where the monastery is. I brought the M2Z with me so at the trailhead I was looking for signs saying No Drones. I didn't find any. So when we did the visit and listened to a guide speak, on our way down I stopped and launched the bird for a few minutes. Didn't fly over people or buildings, just over the ocean and some cliffs.

When we were coming back down to the pier there was a local guide and she asked me if I was the one operating the drone. I said yes. She said they weren't allowed on account of this being a bird sanctuary (hundreds of gannets and some puffins, which also feature in the movie, sort of). I said I was sorry but didn't see any sign. She says there's a note on the website so I ask which website. She says the one where I booked the tour. I said I booked this on www.skelligboat.com and there is nothing about drones. Again, I said I was sorry and returned to the pier. I guess my bad for not asking.

When I was at the pier, a passenger from our boat caught up with me, and started laying into me. He was pretty aggressive and demanded to know if I'd been rude to the guide. I said no (he really threw me off with this question). Then he started his speech about how irresponsible, look at the birds, blablabla, look at the signs (no signs), look at the website (again, no mention on my website), how he's a certified drone pilot (as am I in fact) and a lot of other unpleasantness. Frankly I was too surprised that someone is behaving like that (I don't really think it was his place to be doing that) that before I composed myself he was gone.

The moral of the story: it is illegal to fly a drone in Skellig Islands, which is a pity, because it's a dream location: remote, rugged, beautiful. Apparently this ban didn't apply to Hollywood producers (plenty of drone footage in the movie and in promotional videos), but I guess that is to be expected. I only wish the Irish government would put up some signs to make it obvious drones aren't allowed in the area. Yeah, I did not inform myself properly, so my fault I guess. Still, I got some very nice vids from the island so not all is lost :)

I’ll bite... post some of the video you captured.

I had the same issue this year, and they are wrong. I wrote the the parks board about it. The law, which predates drones by decades, applies to disturbing nesting sites and the nesting activities directly. If you are flying your drone responsibly and avoiding the nests, you would win any court action. That doesn’t stop the Irish environmentalist from being right annoying about it. One day this will all pass and we will be able to fly our drones like other click their annoying walking sticks.

I clicked the link to the website you posted and literally to me 30 seconds to find the "useful links" tab on the website that takes you to another website that clearly says drones are not allowed.

I clicked the link to the website you posted and literally to me 30 seconds to find the "useful links" tab on the website that takes you to another website that clearly says drones are not allowed.
It may say that but they cannot actually stop you. When you request the regulation or law that prohibits it, they can’t specify it (the park board) because it doesn’t exist.

It may say that but they cannot actually stop you. When you request the regulation or law that prohibits it, they can’t specify it (the park board) because it doesn’t exist.
There doesn't have to be a law or regulation to prohibit use of drones there. The park rules clearly state that use of drones are prohibited. End of discussion.

There doesn't have to be a law or regulation to prohibit use of drones there. The park rules clearly state that use of drones are prohibited. End of discussion.
That’s actually not true. They could prohibit you from taking off and landing but they cannot prohibit flying as they have no jurisdiction over the air. While it might not affect this situation, in my case, the Cliffs, taking off with landowner approval and flying over cannot be prohibited by the national parks.

That’s actually not true. They could prohibit you from taking off and landing but they cannot prohibit flying as they have no jurisdiction over the air. While it might not affect this situation, in my case, the Cliffs, taking off with landowner approval and flying over cannot be prohibited by the national parks.
OP clearly stated that he was ON the island when he flew. There is no confusion to the prohibition. Use of drones ON the island are prohibited. No one said that flying OVER the island was prohibited. You are trying to create confusion and stating loopholes to prove a point that we already know and has no bearing on the comments made by the original post.

OP clearly stated that he was ON the island when he flew. There is no confusion to the prohibition. Use of drones ON the island are prohibited. No one said that flying OVER the island was prohibited. You are trying to create confusion and stating loopholes to prove a point that we already know and has no bearing on the comments made by the original post.
Calm down dear. I was, in my reply, stating the greater issue of the national park board in Ireland. I think people need to take a step back and understand that they don’t own droning as an activity.

Reactions: Davros007
Calm down dear. I was, in my reply, stating the greater issue of the national park board in Ireland. I think people need to take a step back and understand that they don’t own droning as an activity.
I never even read your first reply until you replied to my comment about the website posting the rule about drone use. My reply had nothing to do with your reply. The rule simply says that drone use is prohibited. The park board offers no reasoning as to why they are prohibited, and says nothing about disturbing bird nestlings or any other reasons. The park can make the rules regardless if you agree to them or not. For you to give advice that there is no law about flight and someone can win a court case for this is irresponsible and does nothing to promote proper use of drones or how they are perceived publicly.

I've read about that island (loads of detail in a kayaking book I read years ago called On Celtic Tides, and if I remember correctly the kayaker stayed on the island). Seems very very cool. I'd love to see the video you came up with.

For anyone interested in a laugh-out-loud travelog of much of Ireland, I suggest McCarthy's Bar by the late great Pete McCarthy.

I never even read your first reply until you replied to my comment about the website posting the rule about drone use. My reply had nothing to do with your reply. The rule simply says that drone use is prohibited. The park board offers no reasoning as to why they are prohibited, and says nothing about disturbing bird nestlings or any other reasons. The park can make the rules regardless if you agree to them or not. For you to give advice that there is no law about flight and someone can win a court case for this is irresponsible and does nothing to promote proper use of drones or how they are perceived publicly.
You’re not reading well then. I clearly state I spoke with the park board and 5ey gave the same reason, and I explain why the reason has no basis in law. You are wrong that the board can do whatever it wants. It too has to follow the law. If the parliament wants to pass a law allowing the park board rights over airspace, it can do that, but it hasn’t.

is irresponsible and does nothing to promote proper use of drones or how they are perceived publicly.
This is the problem. I’m not interested in your opinion of proper use. I will fly by the laws of the state I fly in. That’s it. You do not like it, too bad, it’s not your hobby to control.

Reactions: passedpawn
This is the problem. I’m not interested in your opinion of proper use. I will fly by the laws of the state I fly in. That’s it. You do not like it, too bad, it’s not your hobby to control.
Absolutely. I recently had an email back and forth here in Australia regarding drone use near an uncontrolled airport. It is legal except there are those who like to try and pretend they have power to prohibit it. Whilst I have NO intention of flying near their airport, I was able to blow any restrictions they assumed out of the water with written confirmation that you can fly from our airspace authority CASA.
I CANNOT STAND IT when people kowtow to those who wish to push their views as if they are law; the law provides rights and protections that should be always checked and challenged. I have just raised exactly the same issue with an island authority off our coast: yes, they can disallow take off and use from the island, but not possession or flight from a boat over the island. They also state unsubstantiated claims - in this case that there is an airport on the island, so you cannot use a drone- balderdash in Australia; the airport is uncontrolled and the area is not restricted except within the small perimeter of the airport, or if you actually become aware of a plane operating. And you can fly over the island no problems.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sedmonds