- Feb 6, 2019
- Springdale, AR, USA
I recently applied a DecalGirl skin to my Mavic 2 and thought I’d let other people know of my experience in case anyone finds it interesting.
After seeing a post here in this forum from someone else who had “skinned their drone” I decided to look at DecalGirl skins for my drone. I don’t know whether or not it’s a silly thing to do but I wanted to have a look. DecalGirl was offering a 25% discount at the time which made it that much more enticing to buy a skin. After looking at many skins, I selected the “Hot Rod” skin design because it reminded me of a car I once owned – a 1967 Camaro that was orange with black racing stripes.
The skin arrived in less than a week. I watched the video of skinning a drone from the DecalGirl web site. It didn’t look too hard. I applied the skin pieces in the same order as shown in the video. After doing so, I found I had to re-adjust the skins at the ends of the legs under the motors. So, my first suggestion for anyone else doing this is to apply the leg skins before applying those that wrap around the base of the motors at the ends of the legs.
I found the skin material to be fairly strong and forgiving. I don’t know if anyone has ever torn a skin when pulling it off of the sheet. I didn’t. The skin felt like it was very strong and there was no danger of tearing. While applying the skin pieces to the drone, one sometimes has to peel the skin away and re-apply it so that it aligns perfectly. This was easy to do. The adhesive allows the skin material to be pulled away and re-applied without any negative affect.
The whole process, including the remote and two extra batteries took a little over an hour. I wasn’t in any hurry and I took my time. I weighed my drone before and after to see how much weight the skins added. Before applying the skins, my drone weighed 902 grams. After applying the skins, my drone weighs 917 grams. That’s 15 grams of skin. I don’t know how many seconds that will shave off of the flight time for one battery. I’m guessing not much.
I do have some 3D-printed leg extensions. I had to re-design these slightly where I increased the size to 102% so that they fit over the newly skinned front legs. My 3D-printed extensions for the rear legs continued to fit ever after skinning. They are just slightly harder to get on now.
I found the most difficult skin piece to apply was the skin on the face of the remote controller. It took several re-adjustments to get it aligned perfectly.
Overall, I’m very happy with the look of my newly skinned drone. There are a lot of edges. For now, the skins are holding well. Time will tell how well the skins hold up to repeated handling.
Thanks for listening.