DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Skydio 2 - pre-orders open at $999 US Only so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ermm. Nah. Starts the video by crashing a competitors drone. Maybe should’ve used Mavic Air or Mavic 2 with APAS on.
I would expect DJI engineers to get one of those and try to break one too while testing their software.
Not sure about not being able to take control and relying solely on AI. Software is everything in this scenario and you want to make sure there’s no bugs.
So far, from observation, artificial intelligence is still no match for natural stupidity. As smart an AI you can make it, people can still find ways to crash it.
I am sure there’ll be people buying it, but I doubt a lot of them would trade an M2P for it. Seems like a bit of downgrade, camera, flight time, range, etc.

test of camera quality vs DJI Mavic incl M2P

i'm not affiliated with neither Skydio or the producers of the above report - but I do work (professionally) with high res images for a living.

Resolution is not all and M2P camera is good - but not great. So if Skydio have done it right - they can easily be close to or rival M2p in image quality.
That report was made for Skydio and forms the basis for their "best in class" claim. I'm looking forward to real reviews and output comparison from others (not that a YouTube influencer flown to an all expense paid trip to an exotic location and given first review opportunities is going to be able to provide a true fair and unbiased review).

So far, from observation, artificial intelligence is still no match for natural stupidity. As smart an AI you can make it, people can still find ways to crash it.
Brilliant statement. Absolutely brilliant. I (only) wish I had made it . . .

Reactions: JS1600
How does this conform to the VLOS rule when it flies itself and you don't monitor it while it's flying?
I don't know if I could trust my money like that.

It doesn’t. Of course it doesn’t seem like many end users care. Can’t wait until these are all over the mtb trails.

It does look interesting and I'd love to see someone give DJI a run for its money but I don't think I'd trade a M2P for a drone with a far inferior camera (main camera, anyway).
my sentiments exactly,the m2p has a world class camera where this new drone basically has the camera equivalent of the phantom 3 standard

I placed the deposit for New Skydio mainly because it promises to 'deliver' when in follow mode. All current DJI models come short in this respect. I'm not very concern about camera, it has one which is better than camera in my Mavic Pro. In my opinion we are looking at new category of drone, action drone. The same like action camera (GoPro Hero's, etc.) there are people which would like to capture footage while skiing down the slop or while riding MTB, snowmobile, dirt bike, etc. I'm not professional videographer nor I have any desire to become one. My videos are mainly for myself and sometime for friends. The easiest way to share my 'production' is to use YT and this will affect the quality of footage no matter how good it originally was.

I placed the deposit for New Skydio mainly because it promises to 'deliver' when in follow mode. All current DJI models come short in this respect. I'm not very concern about camera, it has one which is better than camera in my Mavic Pro. In my opinion we are looking at new category of drone, action drone. The same like action camera (GoPro Hero's, etc.) there are people which would like to capture footage while skiing down the slop or while riding MTB, snowmobile, dirt bike, etc. I'm not professional videographer nor I have any desire to become one. My videos are mainly for myself and sometime for friends. The easiest way to share my 'production' is to use YT and this will affect the quality of footage no matter how good it originally was.
For me it's not the flying so much as it is about photography

In no way do the Skydio UAS' compete with the Mavic lines.

The Skydio company built the R1 a couple years ago and it completely outperformed anything on the market with regards to autonomous flying, and still does. The intent of their UAS are to act as a flying camera that always keeps a subject on the frame and avoids obstacles on their own. It is their primary focus and they nailed it. DJI implemented the autonomous capability as an after thought and it hardly gets the job done. Problem with the Skydio product was the cost and autonomous flying at close range was all it did.

Looks like skydio 2 theyre reducing the cost and hopefully improving upon their last design. It's for a different market of people IMO. I prefer mavic for its long range capability and superior optics, versatility, and reliability.

I've been watch the Skydio since launch. Yeah, there were a few issues with vision, had a bit of trouble identifying some moving objects, loud, and a lack of real/true AC in flight control.

But it looks like they have addressed those issues, and reduced the pricepoint/cost with the new design.

Not my cup of tea...But that full environmental mapping is awesome, and very attractive...
Soon to be "cloned" by.......

You do the math..

The Skydio 2 looks very promising for the price as the Skydio 1 was way over priced for what it offered.

I still see a couple areas of concern like they removed the blade guard that I thought was a good idea.

Also one video I watched it kind of flopped around while landing and almost hit the front blades that are facing
downwards and the rear blades face upwards.

Oh ya and only 23 min of battery life could be better.

But the obstacle avoidance is second to none as that is where this bird shines, there is nothing out there that can
compete right now.

Found the promo interesting, although the emphasis was on following a person/object. In the longer promo clip (6+ minutes.) they do state most drone video is focused on people (That statistic comes from?). I can't image/trusting a self managing (If that is the word to use?) drone flying around & avoid objects. Hmm, any speed limitations performing this function?

In the end, this would not be a drone for me. However, I'm a 2 month old first time drone owner (M2P). It will be interest to see the rollout and feedback down the road.

The Skydio 2 is very tempting but I will hold onto my credit card until I see some real world reviews. I like the magnesium body. I don't care that it does not fold. The hard case is nice. The videos look much better than the R1 and better than my Mavic pro. The beacon device is great. The obstacle avoidance and following capability is way better than anything made by DJI. I like that the camera can tilt up 45 degrees with no props in view. The Skydio cost is reasonable. Battery price is $99 which is also reasonable.
They have put their money where their mouth is with the warranty. If you manage to crash it while flying within the company’s Safe Flight guidelines (not at night, not in rain or fog or high winds, etc.), They will repair or replace your drone for free. They obviously have great confidence in it's abilities. They offer a 30 day return policy as well.
There is no mention of No Fly Zones and of course no data sent to China.
Some things I have concerns about are the magnetic battery latch, downward facing props with no landing gear, and charging the battery only in the drone. They will be offering a charging dock later that will charge 2 batteries without the drone.

only ships with one battery and two spare propellers. Maybe if the remote was included...
I'll wait for your review kaz911....

looks pretty cool though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lschabert