DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Small Birds flying too close to my drone

Yaros

Reactions
While recording a video, I noticed that many small birds were flying around my drone, I was scared they will touch the propellers and take the drone down. It is not likely, but possible.

I have to say that the birds are a really cool touch to the shot.

Sometimes I also see some small birds flying close to my drone(rarely this many though), sometimes they even triggered the OA sensors for a split second, but they never crashed into the drone. I guess they are smart enough to avoid it since I encountered many since I fly my drone and no accidents have happened. I personally think that in the rare occurance of a collision the small bird may get more hurt than the MA2, that should be strong enough to be able to re-adjust after a small collision (compared to something like a mavic mini), because I have seen many clips of air2 being able to avoid crash after hitting trees ecc...I personally crashed my MA2 in a tree in sport mode and while it was inside the leaves it fought with all of its strenght to try to hover,but it eventually got stuck(no damage to the drone luckily).This leads me to think that the drone has a decent chance of recovering in case a small bird crashes into it, but obviusly the chances drop significantly if it gets hit in the right spot or by multiple birds.
Regardless of the situation, always be careful and watch out for these birds.

Reactions: mereflyer and Yaros
Those are of the swift or swallow family, they take insects on the wing i.e. they must have incredible eyesight and are remarkably agile, so I doubt that there is any chance that they would accidentally hit something as big and clumsy as a drone.
I have had them buzz a Mavic Mini and half suspect they were picking up insects drawn in by the air the drone was moving.
That said I would be more concerned about injuring the bird than damage to the drone.
A prop strike would probably be ultimately lethal to such a bird and its brood. I wouldn't hang around where they are 'buzzing' you, rather I would move away SLOWLY. I think I went UP.
It's not like a gull or crow etc. attack where you need to get the heck out of there but a sudden acceleration might catch a swift/swallow out.

Last edited:
Agree with sentiments of the replies above.
Yes, they could one day accidentally hit a drone / prop, but birds fly in massive groups at times, flying as they do weaving about each other, and seem to have some sort of spatial superpower not to bump into each other.
Defensive bird attacks are what you really need to watch it for.

I doubt they'd take a drone down unless they got really hung up in the props. My friend and I ran out DJI FPV's into each other. I dinged up my prop and left a red tip mark on his legs but neither drone went down much to our surprise but I guess a bird might more easily get munched up. I worry about bald eagles locally trying to take out my drone...

Reactions: mereflyer and Yaros
Prop guards will help to protect your "bird" and the others flying around it.

Less than $20 for peace of mind.

Those are of the swift or swallow family, they take insects on the wing i.e. they must have incredible eyesight and are remarkable agile, so I doubt that there is any chance that they would accidentally hit something as big and clumsy as a drone.
I have had them buzz a Mavic Mini and half suspect they were picking up insects drawn in by the air the drone was moving.
That said I would be more concerned about injuring the bird than damage to the drone.
A prop strike would probably be ultimately lethal to such a bird and its brood. I wouldn't hang around where they are 'buzzing' you, rather I would move away SLOWLY. I think I went UP.
It's not like a gull or crow etc. attack where you need to get the heck out of there but a sudden acceleration might catch a swift/swallow out.
I always go up but as soon as I go up, I try to land it! Seagulls, Crows and Hawks are not your Friends!

Oystercatchers are one of the birds that "I gonna to get the heck out of here" applies to, they have a taken down at least one drone on youtube in a definite attack. If they buzz you LEAVE ASAP.

Normally, with my Mini, I have one or two small birds try to dive bomb my drone while flying. I saw a video about gaining some altitude when that happens and they tend to scatter at that point.

I really have to watch out in the late fall for migrating birds. I've even had an entire flock change directions to fly directly towards me! They seem pretty agile though, and I've never had one fly into it. I can't say the same for tree branches, those are the ones to watch out for 🙃

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
While recording a video, I noticed that many small birds were flying around my drone, I was scared they will touch the propellers and take the drone down. It is not likely, but possible.

I put large "Moon Eyes" stickers on the top surface of my drone and haven't had a bird issue since and before I did have issues

i get sparrpws and other small birds slot in the spring i just figure they are trying to protect a nest they have quit following my pro mostly now

Occasionally I will intentionally fly out low across my pastures in the early evening. The activity tends to kick up insects and I’ll get 15-20 barn swallows following and swooping around and feeding. Maybe I should try to get some video.

We have a cattle ranch in central Texas, and while flying, birds of prey have investigated it. I normally jolt to one side for a loud noise and get away.

Is there any techniques that work to scare them off?dji_fly_20230423_071340_120_1682253313948_aeb.jpeg

I've had bald eagles circle, seem curious, but have never pursued my drone. However, if they start getting close, I go lower and stay away from any aeries.

they will attack I don,t have any proof except what happened i was in sport with mavic pro full throttle then the drone rolled and shut down no picture pulled both sticks down and boom in just a few or more like half minute It was back clear picture and hovering i,ll never know what it was but big enough to grab it but when the drone got up it started what ever it was didn,t like the sting of the props starting or the noise golden eagle or red tail , came from behind and the mavic was going on a nice day easy 40 but telling a story like this is like seeing a ufo lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vishal@12