DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart controller firmware update

Mavic Mike 2

Reactions
Hi guys Ive not been able to download latest firmware from my smart controller, so have open DJI assistant 2 it’s recognised my controller after plugging in , the only problem then is only showing current firmware and not the latest ?z... any ideas much appreciated ?

There have been issues for many SC users outlined here SC update issues.

The initial update dated 6thJjan was bad for many and trashed Assitant 2 so it would then not recognise the SC at all and had a number of problems with the firmware including Chines text in SC menu items.

Some reported that they could update from SC via Wifi which you are specifically told NOT to do by DJI in info attached to the update and you are specifically told to use Assistant.

DJI brought out a new update dated 11th of Jan which fixed the issues and allowed Assistant to recognise the SC again.

The solution/fix was outlined in post #48 in the link above via a system reset. This allowed Assistant not only to work but to refresh the firmware to the Jan 11th version.

In your case @Mavic Mike 2 you should probably wait until the new current version shows up in assistant. I suggest you look at the article linked above to see what the issues might be.

Some have been content to upgrade via Wifi from SC if it worked and it didn't for many often often quoting that their Assistant software didn't work so had no choice and couldn't be bothered to figure it out as they wanted to get flying. IMO that is a short sighted mistake as Assistant 2 not working is a symptom something is wrong somewhere in whatever firmware version is installed and needs fixing.

As outlined in the linked post my attempt to update from SC via Wifi in ignorance of DJI instructions produced a very bad update outcome. I wouldn't have felt confident flying with a known iffy firmware on the SC. Fortunately with the help of @CaptHook a fix for that bad firmware for the SC was found and all is now well.

My advice is leave it until Assistant 2 sees the new .650 11th Jan update. The last version was .530 which is probably what you @Mavic Mike 2 have now.

There have been issues for many SC users outlined here SC update issues.

The initial update dated 6thJjan was bad for many and trashed Assitant 2 so it would then not recognise the SC at all and had a number of problems with the firmware including Chines text in SC menu items.

Some reported that they could update from SC via Wifi which you are specifically told NOT to do by DJI in info attached to the update and you are specifically told to use Assistant.

DJI brought out a new update dated 11th of Jan which fixed the issues and allowed Assistant to recognise the SC again.

The solution/fix was outlined in post #48 in the link above via a system reset. This allowed Assistant not only to work but to refresh the firmware to the Jan 11th version.

In your case @Mavic Mike 2 you should probably wait until the new current version shows up in assistant. I suggest you look at the article linked above to see what the issues might be.

Some have been content to upgrade via Wifi from SC if it worked and it didn't for many often often quoting that their Assistant software didn't work so had no choice and couldn't be bothered to figure it out as they wanted to get flying. IMO that is a short sighted mistake as Assistant 2 not working is a symptom something is wrong somewhere in whatever firmware version is installed and needs fixing.

As outlined in the linked post my attempt to update from SC via Wifi in ignorance of DJI instructions produced a very bad update outcome. I wouldn't have felt confident flying with a known iffy firmware on the SC. Fortunately with the help of @CaptHook a fix for that bad firmware for the SC was found and all is now well.

My advice is leave it until Assistant 2 sees the new .650 11th Jan update. The last version was .530 which is probably what you @Mavic Mike 2 have now.
Hi john thanks very much for info much appreciated! . I’ve not long been in from work and decided to uninstall and reinstall DJI assistant 2 for mavic , and low and behold the firmaware update ( 0650) is now there and Installing as we speak ... many thanks again ?

Mine still won’t recognize that’s it’s plugged into the computer through the DJI assistant. I was talking to DJI support & they want me to send in my SC to diagnose what’s wrong. I really don’t want to do that.

Mine still won’t recognize that’s it’s plugged into the computer through the DJI assistant. I was talking to DJI support & they want me to send in my SC to diagnose what’s wrong. I really don’t want to do that.
No you don't want to do that! There isn't anything wrong with it.! DJI support are quite useless.

First of all find out what firmware version you are running on the SC from the Settings. Likely ends in .530 possibly if it is the last one from a few months back. Also what is your GO 4 version?

In order to get Assistant to work as many myself included have found out you need to do a system reset. Look at my post #6 and go to the link to @CaptHook 's fix in post #48 and do as he outlines.

Leave DJI out of it!

Apparently there are still a couple of minor issues with the Jan 11th firmware release but at least Assistant works and no Chinese menus which is an improvement over the Jan 6th dud firmware. Of course DJI have said nothing just silently released a new update with the same version number hoping nobody notices?

No you don't want to do that! There isn't anything wrong with it.! DJI support are quite useless.

First of all find out what firmware version you are running on the SC from the Settings. Likely ends in .530 possibly if it is the last one from a few months back. Also what is your GO 4 version?

In order to get Assistant to work as many myself included have found out you need to do a system reset. Look at my post #6 and go to the link to @CaptHook 's fix in post #48 and do as he outlines.

Leave DJI out of it!

Apparently there are still a couple of minor issues with the Jan 11th firmware release but at least Assistant works and no Chinese menus which is an improvement over the Jan 6th dud firmware. Of course DJI have said nothing just silently released a new update with the same version number hoping nobody notices?

Okay the firmware is V0.00.0650

A couple of days ago I turned mine on & it showed an update so I installed it. Everything seamed fine but I noticed the “quick fly” was in Chinese. After some research it appears you can refresh it through DJI that fixes it. I tried this but it won’t recognize that my SC is connected.

I tried Capthook’s method but I still can’t get it to work. In his fix how do I complete #1 & #3 maybe that is what is wrong. I’m not sure how or where to check those two settings

Okay the firmware is V0.00.0650

A couple of days ago I turned mine on & it showed an update so I installed it. Everything seamed fine but I noticed the “quick fly” was in Chinese. After some research it appears you can refresh it through DJI that fixes it. I tried this but it won’t recognize that my SC is connected.

I tried Capthook’s method but I still can’t get it to work. In his fix how do I complete #1 & #3 maybe that is what is wrong. I’m not sure how or where to check those two settings
You can remove the SD card or format it from the SC Settings/Storage where you can look at both internal storage and also any SD's USB sticks.

When you connect the SC as he describes in 3) it should automatically be in USB debug mode after you have system reset it. You shouldn't need to do anything.

A pop up will come up maybe saying do you want to use SD as default storage say NO as you can adjust later. Under that pop up there will likely be a window asking you which of 3 options you want for USB transfer/charging method. This is the bit he says DO NOT SELECT. Just close that window.

All being well the Assistant should now show the SC. Click on the icon and almost certainly it will come up with V0.00.0650 as the current firmware. This is the DUD version and you need to REFRESH it and it will update with the correct Jan 11th version.

Just let it do its thing and be patient at 16% and 98%. Itwill download, transfer and then install so there are 3 processes to sit through. If by any chance it fails which it may well do even a couple of times DON't close Assistant just select refresh again and chill and be patient. It will work eventually!

Good luck.

You can remove the SD card or format it from the SC Settings/Storage where you can look at both internal storage and also any SD's USB sticks.

When you connect the SC as he describes in 3) it should automatically be in USB debug mode after you have system reset it. You shouldn't need to do anything.

A pop up will come up maybe saying do you want to use SD as default storage say NO as you can adjust later. Under that pop up there will likely be a window asking you which of 3 options you want for USB transfer/charging method. This is the bit he says DO NOT SELECT. Just close that window.

All being well the Assistant should now show the SC. Click on the icon and almost certainly it will come up with V0.00.0650 as the current firmware. This is the DUD version and you need to REFRESH it and it will update with the correct Jan 11th version.

Just let it do its thing and be patient at 16% and 98%. Itwill download, transfer and then install so there are 3 processes to sit through. If by any chance it fails which it may well do even a couple of times DON't close Assistant just select refresh again and chill and be patient. It will work eventually!

Good luck.
I don’t have an SD card in it

The firmware update v01.00.0650 is a not stable. I posted a comment on DJI's site under the release thread and a few hours later my post along with several others were deleted. The page count for the thread went from 4 to 3. The admin of that forum basically cuts & pastes the same apology to each comment with the same basic instructions how to attempt to fix it.

Anyway, here my delete post which can be reach if the old link is still used: New Smart Controller Firmware Released (2019/04/25)

It seems this firmware is unstable, not properly tested and should be pulled.

Also, why does the video in the first post in this thread demonstrate how to update over-the-air direct on the SC? Why does the SC allow an update that requires DJI Assistant to proceed? It would seem simple enough to detect if a user is attempting a direct update on the SC, one that cannot be completed in that manner, and instruct the user to use DJI Assistant. Most user will see the prompt to update on the SC and attempt the install that way. Repeatedly! They won't be checking a forum prior to updating. This is just a bad experience that could be easily improved.

If you return to the Announcement section then open that same thread, you'll see the page count go from 4 to 3. It's really disappointing DJI would release such untested crap then try to hide it by deleting their users' legitimate complaints. Many users were complaining about some serious hardware issues after getting the update to stick, the so-called 1-hour bug, so I'd stay away from this update.

I've updated 2 smart controllers using DJI Assistant 2. I initially got the version with Quickfly in Chinese, the next day I connected the SC to Assistant 2 on computer and selected "refresh". Chinese is not English and mostly everything is fine. Did read about log files only going to internal storage instead of SD card - I haven't messed with that.

Haven't noticed any instability, though obviously there were a few goofs, still flys fine.

Reactions: Mavic Mike 2
I got my Mavic 2 and SC just before Christmas and did an update at that time. Recently, I wanted to check in (via internet with the SC) and see if any later updates had been released. Boy, am I glad I saw this thread. Now, I'm going to hold off until DJI gets their act together if they ever do. I've had a couple of support questions but their support is useless. Usually, they refer my questions to a higher level and then I never hear back. The only issue I'm suffering right now is the histogram that won't work (slider turns itself off). They requested my software and firmware info but again, never heard back so I will sit on it. Don't really need the histogram anyway but at least everything else seems to be working now that I figured out how to pull my photos off the SC SD card (with all those jumbled file names!!!).

this time (the third one) I connected the laptop to the home network via a wire, and I didn't do the update as before via wi-fi and the difference is huge in speed x10 at least. Someone mentioned this in the forum, so I decided to give it a try and I really recommend that everyone connect with a wire to the internet if you can.New FW (same version 0650 but newer date 01/13/2020.) came out, so I reinstalled firmware via assistant 2 for Mavic and flight log works as before. I did two flights and all is ok with log. It seems to me that SC no longer reboots after changing the default memory between internal and external

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada