DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller Hung at startup screen.

Nigelpugh7

Reactions
Hi Guys,

We have the Mavic Pro 2 combo with the Smart controller bundle.

We have been using it for over a month with no issues.

However yesterday, whilst on a job with a customer we had an issue.

We were in a restricted flight zone, no issues as we had already gained approval and clearances.

So at take off we got the warning message about the flight zone, and acknowledge that we were accepting the risks.

We got an error message, and what looked like a line of code with a bad reference.

We still managed to take off and do a short test flight. Returned back for the take off point and landed and turned the aircraft and controller off.

When we then moved to another part of the site, turned the controller and aircraft on, we couldn’t get to the main screen at all.

The screen remains stuck at animated dji opening screen start up, and nothing else happens.

We’ve logged a call with dji support they have told us it needs to be sent back for repair, which will take minimum 7-10 days.

We need to use this machine and controller for paid work so can’t loose it for that long.

The support people seemed to think that it’s due to the internal memory being full, despite having a blank 128gb card in the slot.

We have tried a firmware update on both a pc and a Mac, but each time it hangs when the update is being written to the controller.

The firmware update even had issues, and said sent the error log to dji support, which also managed to crash the app.

So our question is this, can we just access the memory on the Smart Controller wirh an external device like a pc or Mac, to make space?

We really don’t want to send it back for repair, we are sure it’s just software related.

Any ideas anyone?

Attachments

• 2E0DEF63-988A-4289-A313-9E30E7DA8AAB.jpeg
    2E0DEF63-988A-4289-A313-9E30E7DA8AAB.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 37
  • 8F11E1BE-4271-4E10-B95A-CE7D1BBC5C50.jpeg
    8F11E1BE-4271-4E10-B95A-CE7D1BBC5C50.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
  • 23F55DE2-EF63-481A-A22D-18BB1AF69A7D.jpeg
    23F55DE2-EF63-481A-A22D-18BB1AF69A7D.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 33
  • E2600AC6-DD1F-4F36-9D32-BC80DDDA89DE.jpeg
    E2600AC6-DD1F-4F36-9D32-BC80DDDA89DE.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
  • EBDEA038-0D1C-4C2D-91D6-B215991CC40D.jpeg
    EBDEA038-0D1C-4C2D-91D6-B215991CC40D.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 30
  • 3799EA01-433C-4C37-9D58-16C79030A0BE.jpeg
    3799EA01-433C-4C37-9D58-16C79030A0BE.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 29
You can try plugging it into a computer and accessing the internal "drive" using usb cord and see if you can find things to delete. You can also use the desktop program (forget its name) and try upgrading the firmware that way. Again, plug in usb cord. If you go for the computer program make sure to get the version for Mavic TWO (the one version does not work). It is on the DJI site under support, I believe.

Also, try pressing and holding the power button for 10+ seconds and release to force a reboot/restart.

Good luck.

Reactions: Nigelpugh7
You can try plugging it into a computer and accessing the internal "drive" using usb cord and see if you can find things to delete. You can also use the desktop program (forget its name) and try upgrading the firmware that way. Again, plug in usb cord. If you go for the computer program make sure to get the version for Mavic TWO (the one version does not work). It is on the DJI site under support, I believe.

Also, try pressing and holding the power button for 10+ seconds and release to force a reboot/restart.

Good luck.
Thanks for that, yep we have tried all of those.

None of those have worked sadly..

If you could tell us how to get to see the internal drive via usb, that would be great, we can’t get any file system to mount on any OS!

Sorry... I meant again. I have gotten different suggestions that way.

Yep contacted them three times, it’s beyond the dumb scripted call centre Staff, they have no clue how to respond outside of a pre definded set of logic based response rules .

Thanks for that, yep we have tried all of those.

None of those have worked sadly..

If you could tell us how to get to see the internal drive via usb, that would be great, we can’t get any file system to mount on any OS!

Unfortunately, I think you have to have some level of control. You need to be able to change from CHARGING to charging AND DATA. To do that you generally have to show Android notifications and find that one that says "charging" and tap it to get the option for DATA and charging. Then the controller should show up as a drive. What happens now when you boot or restart the device - just nothing?

Reactions: Nigelpugh7
Unfortunately, I think you have to have some level of control. You need to be able to change from CHARGING to charging AND DATA. To do that you generally have to show Android notifications and find that one that says "charging" and tap it to get the option for DATA and charging. Then the controller should show up as a drive. What happens now when you boot or restart the device - just nothing?
Hi Thanks,

Yes we are just stuck at the opening screen with the logo.

So can't get to any part of the android OS.

So you can't swipe down from the top of the screen?

I guess it does need repair or replacement.

Yes it seems that way sadly.

Dji support have said it can’t be cured easily and will need to be returned to them.

Just an update, my whole package, so the smart controller together with the Mavic 2 Pro has now been sent back to Jessops as this is their policy for returns.

I assume it will ultimately go back to DJI for investigation.

Shame I had to lose it all, but as it was a bundle this is jessops policy for returns.

So lots of chasing, and we finally received our brand new package of Mavic 2 Pro and Smart Controller today.

I’m pleased to say it’s brand new never opened unit, so we have had to start from scratch again.

We did have quite a few issues to start with, but in fairness they might be due to our poor Bt WiFi which was once again only running at 8mbits instead of the 80mbits we re supposed to get from our fibre service.

So we tried 4 Times to update the smart controller, all over WiFi’ , not the wired connection, and 4 times It Failed at 99%.

On the 5th try it worked.

We are also making screen shot recordings of the on board memory storage too, and will be closely monitoring that so we don’t run into issues.

0088EE5A-6D1E-4EB7-AEC6-3C2CB98F960F.jpeg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engmarceloacs