DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller + MA2 dramatically dropped the range.

vitaly

Reactions
Hi Guys,
I haven't fly for quite long time and yesterday went to Jurassic Coast in Devon to take some videos.
I was unpleasantly surprised that in the distance of 500 meters from start SC showed me "Weak signal. Adjust antennas". After 600-650 meters the SC had lost control completely. MA2 has a direct radio connection with Smart Controller over the sea and has no obstacles.

It seems very wield so today I've tried to test it again in the different place. It was fields with some trees but result was absolutely the same - in 560 meters from my point I had a week signal from Smart Controller and after 600 meters I completely lost MA2.
Then I've just changed Smart Controller to stock one and stock controller has flown 2,500 meters in the same direction without any problem.
I've tried this experiment again with SC firmware degraded to V1.00.0860 but without any result - Smart Controller flies 600 meters max while stock controller flies 5 times longer without any problem in the same area.

Any ideas?

Mavic Air 2
fw: V01.01.0610

Stock Controller
fw: V02.00.1200
iPhone 12 Pro iOS 14.4, DJI Fly 1.2.5 (425)

Smart Controller
fw: V1.00.0880
DJI Fly 1.2.4

Hi Guys,
I haven't fly for quite long time and yesterday went to Jurassic Coast in Devon to take some videos.
I was unpleasantly surprised that in the distance of 500 meters from start SC showed me "Weak signal. Adjust antennas". After 600-650 meters the SC had lost control completely. MA2 has a direct radio connection with Smart Controller over the sea and has no obstacles.

It seems very wield so today I've tried to test it again in the different place. It was fields with some trees but result was absolutely the same - in 560 meters from my point I had a week signal from Smart Controller and after 600 meters I completely lost MA2.
Then I've just changed Smart Controller to stock one and stock controller has flown 2,500 meters in the same direction without any problem.
I've tried this experiment again with SC firmware degraded to V1.00.0860 but without any result - Smart Controller flies 600 meters max while stock controller flies 5 times longer without any problem in the same area.

Any ideas?

Mavic Air 2

Stock Controller

Smart Controller
DJI Fly 1.2.4
Check your transmissions setting and if you have HD switch to Smooth and Auto.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain / Storm

Hi Guys,

Any ideas?

Mavic Air 2

Stock Controller

Smart Controller
DJI Fly 1.2.4
I have had the same issues using the SC, not only poor signal but app has crashed 3 times and I have only flown the drone about 20 times. In addition it requires me to bind almost every time I start it up. DJI has not helped yet. I have the stock controller but haven't tried it yet.

Hi and thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I doesn't make any difference.
There is a chance since you have not flown in awhile that your batteries are not updated and we now know that those batteries when not updated properly can cause some distance problems such as I could not get past 150 ft when flying before the Drone just stopped.

Focus on the batteries and see if that is part of the issue.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and land on Water.

There is a chance since you have not flown in awhile that your batteries are not updated and we now know that those batteries when not updated properly can cause some distance problems such as I could not get past 150 ft when flying before the Drone just stopped.

Focus on the batteries and see if that is part of the issue.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and land on Water.
i don’t think the batteries are issue. two controllers are flying in the same area and have the different results.

Hi Guys,

Any ideas?

Mavic Air 2

Stock Controller

Smart Controller
DJI Fly 1.2.4
Found a video today fixed the problem [tested many drones same problem] install old firmware works like new.
It is the Firmware and DJI must know that! I am about ready to sell all my DJI drones and jump ship!

Reactions: Droniac
Found a video today fixed the problem [tested many drones same problem] install old firmware works like new.
It is the Firmware and DJI must know that! I am about ready to sell all my DJI drones and jump ship!
Can you post the video. ?
Thank you.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Land on water.

Thanks! I suspected the new MA2 firmware update caused the problem. unfortunately DJI made me to send it for repair. anyway it would be interesting to watch that video. would you share it please

Well, great. I got a M2Z and a SC this month and of course the first thing I did was bring everything up to date, had abrupt disconnections and maybe even an app crash during my test flight. So I guess an older firmware migth be a good thing to try before I go about modding stuff. I hope it doesn't erase my settings.

Hi Guys,

Any ideas?

Mavic Air 2

Stock Controller

Smart Controller
DJI Fly 1.2.4
Update 3/31/21
No big surprise
Took out the Mavic Pro Platinum
Range far over the Smart controller with Air 2 same location as 2-3x attempts before with Air 2 and smart controller
Finally got the footage I needed out over the Ocean to the biggest arch in the entire state coastline :)
Pretty sad day when DJI still ignores and obveious flaw in their Firmware! I would return it if I could! But even though I knew the range was far less. I trusted DJI would make it right.
Well not yet :p

Hi Guys,

Any ideas?

Mavic Air 2

Stock Controller

Smart Controller
DJI Fly 1.2.4
Could anyone with this firmware say that have no issues including range?

I have the latest version v01.00.0880 of Smart Controller and I also have a problem with the short range of MAVIC AIR 2
I bought a yagi antenna and it's better 1.5km
A question?
old version v01.00.0700 cannot be used for MA2 with manual installation new version of DJI FLY 1.3.0 and DJI Assistant 2?

Attachments

• SC.JPG
    SC.JPG
    353.3 KB · Views: 28
DJI answered my problem
please read the original answer:
....................................................................................................................................................
Dear xxx,

Thank you for reaching out to DJI Support,
I have checked the problem mentioned in the video, sadly it's not a common solution for the firmware downgrade.

I'm sorry for the short range problem of your Mavic Air 2.
There will be new update for the Smart Controller in April, please wait for the updates.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this issue.
We will continue to optimize this product according to customer feedback.
Best Regards,
Oxxx Bxxxxx
Technical Support DJI GmbH
...........................................................................................................................................................

The new firmware is out now, hoping to hear back from anyone with this freezing/range issue whether it's fixed. The change notes don't explicitly reference any kind of fix.

I have the latest version v01.00.0880 of Smart Controller and I also have a problem with the short range of MAVIC AIR 2
A question?
old version v01.00.0700 cannot be used for MA2 with manual installation new version of DJI FLY 1.3.0 and DJI Assistant 2?
Looks like it is now a problem for the mini 2
Just did the update says fixes things like drift

Never had that problem before the firmware update
Now I have never had so much drift and the range is also poor!
Before update range was perfect no issues!

Is DJI trying to make us thing we need to get new drones?
Well the new ones appear to be just as bad.

I don't know how much more of this I can take before selling all my DJI drones and go with a company that cares.

A question?
How do you take a screenshot with the Smart Controller (iOS user, don’t know Android OS)

Reactions: hackkk68
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captainhook