Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would take my money back because of technical issues

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I like it even with some issues

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • I like it and have had no issues

Votes: 37 67.3%

• Total voters
Doesnt have to be a transmitter. A Crystalsky is backwards compatible and easy to use.
you should be comparing the crystalsky to an ipad, tablet or phone. As m0j0 has said it is a screen not a controller, and the SC is a controller that does not require an aditional piece of hardware in a screen.
Can i use my Mavic pro controller with my spark, phantom, inspire or air? If all of DJI craft where compatable with one controller it would save us all a lot of money as i wouldnt need to purchase a controller with my drone everytime i get the newest.

you should be comparing the crystalsky to an ipad, tablet or phone. As m0j0 has said it is a screen not a controller, and the SC is a controller that does not require an aditional piece of hardware in a screen.
Can i use my Mavic pro controller with my spark, phantom, inspire or air? If all of DJI craft where compatable with one controller it would save us all a lot of money as i wouldnt need to purchase a controller with my drone everytime i get the newest.

If a new drone and controller, such as the M2 with Occusync 2, were released together, then I would say yes, I can understand that its not backwards or cross compatible with prior drones. But in releasing a new device that was designed to be sold separately, and not be able to be used with prior models, DJI was just not thinking about their hundreds of thousands of customers with legacy products. How many people, of the people that would consider owning it, would like to have their SC to use with their MP or other drone?

Which owners are going to sell their CS to buy an SC?

CS is great, DJI made, and is a good option.

Now, there was some buzz that the Mavic 2 controller might be backward compatible with the Mavic Pro, but havent heard anything about that since the M2 first came out. If DJI could make the M2 controller work with the MP, then they should also think about making the SC work with the Mavic Pro, and that would be a step in the right direction.

Which owners are going to sell their CS to buy an SC?
I did. I didn’t plan on selling the cs, but after using the sc, I know that I’ll never use the cs again.
I also believe that the plan is for the sc to be compatible with future drones.
The smart controller and crystal sky are different products.

I did. I didn’t plan on selling the cs, but after using the sc, I know that I’ll never use the cs again.
The smart controller and crystal sky are different products.

Do you only have a Mavic 2? Did you solely use your CS for the Mavic 2?

Anyone who buys a Smartcontroller and sells their Crystalsky is limiting themselves to flying only a Mavic 2, unless they want to go back to using their phone or iPad as a display for their other drones.

I can think of very few people who own only 1 drone, especially professionals. Most have a Phantom 4 Pro, plus a Mavic. CS, and Phantom, or Mavic works very well.

Ok since we are on that topic, whats your prediction as to DJI's next new few new product releases? For your theory to prove relevant, DJI should come out with a new Mavic, or other drone for the Smartcontroller to be compatible. DJI will need to come out with a Mavic Air 2, or Mavic 3, or... something else that uses Occusync 2.0. By the time that happens, people are going to want a 7.85" Smartcontroller display. DJI was smart by offering the Crystalsky in 5 and 8" versions. Not sure whats on the "new drone" or "new controller" roster for DJI for this year. Sounds like the new leaked product is going to be an action cam, not a drone. No other drones or devices on the consumer horizon as of right now.

Oh, do you know if the Smartcontroller can store multiple models? If not, owners will have to bind a new drone to the SC every time they fly. DJI might be able to add that as a FW update if/when they release a new drone thet is SC compatible.

I think it is pretty telling that 93% of the people that own the SC say they would not/will not return it.

I'm really not at all surprised. It's a fantastic device.
Yes it is, and convenient, but as I’ve posted elsewhere, it needs a 7.85” screen option like the CS for those of us who are older or just want to more easily access all the settings and info. If it shows up with a bigger screen I’ll jump on it.

Reactions: Former Member
Doesnt have to be a transmitter. A Crystalsky is backwards compatible and easy to use.
We know you hate the Smart Controller. We also pretty much know one will never be produced with Apple jelly inside (unless the rumor in another forum of Apple buying dji proves true). And you probably would not be happy even if they made one with a larger screen since it would not have apple jelly and not be backward compatible with the Wright Brothers airplanes. (g)

Do you only have a Mavic 2? Did you solely use your CS for the Mavic 2?

Anyone who buys a Smartcontroller and sells their Crystalsky is limiting themselves to flying only a Mavic 2, unless they want to go back to using their phone or iPad as a display for their other drones.

I can think of very few people who own only 1 drone, especially professionals. Most have a Phantom 4 Pro, plus a Mavic. CS, and Phantom, or Mavic works very well.
yes I fly inspire 1 and 2, which I use I larger field monitor arrangement, Mavic Pro and air, which I rarely fly now so not warranted to keep crystal sky, phantom 4 Pro + has its own screen, phantom 3s which I just use iPads or phone, phantom 2s that are not setup for crystal sky and various non DJI fixed wing, aerostat and multirotors that are not compatible with crystal sky. I have operated military and civilian RPAS platforms for many years now and I am in no way limited to only flying the mav 2 (and it is ludicrous to suggest that)because I have a smart controller. I use to hold you in reasonable high esteem Thunderdrones, but the more I read of your posts continuing to say the same thing, the more I think I was wrong about you. You don’t like it, I get it. The majority that have it do like it. Pretty simple. But for you to talk about limitations because I don’t have a crystalsky is just plain dumb. There are WAY better ground stations than crystal sky and smart controller. But if I want to grab a small light kit that has me up and running in seconds, then my preference is the mavic 2 Pro and smart controller. If I’m looking for professional equipment, I generally am not using cheap DJI drones.
I’m not denying that the crystal sky is a good product. It is, and I really like it. I also like, and prefer the smart controller for my mavic.

Last edited:
Ok since we are on that topic, whats your prediction as to DJI's next new few new product releases? For your theory to prove relevant, DJI should come out with a new Mavic, or other drone for the Smartcontroller to be compatible. DJI will need to come out with a Mavic Air 2, or Mavic 3, or... something else that uses Occusync 2.0. By the time that happens, people are going to want a 7.85" Smartcontroller display. DJI was smart by offering the Crystalsky in 5 and 8" versions. Not sure whats on the "new drone" or "new controller" roster for DJI for this year. Sounds like the new leaked product is going to be an action cam, not a drone. No other drones or devices on the consumer horizon as of right now.

Oh, do you know if the Smartcontroller can store multiple models? If not, owners will have to bind a new drone to the SC every time they fly. DJI might be able to add that as a FW update if/when they release a new drone thet is SC compatible.
It’s not really my prediction or theory, but something I have read from numerous sources. I also don’t make it my business to predict what drones are coming out in the near future, I leave that to others who like to roll that way. And I would imagine storing multiple models would be a simple software application within DJIGo.
I have come to the opinion that you like to be an expert and really dislike it when people don’t agree with you. Dude, you don’t like the smart controller. I do. So you can keep trying to bring me down by making yourself sound like the expert. It’s not going to change my opinion. I personally think your loose a few screws and maybe spending too much time with your mavics. 3000+ Repairs Since 2016 (about 20 a week, every week, for 3 years), 50 odd posts here a day and trying to drum up “likes”, like a teenage girl on instagram, plus I’m assuming you get some time to fly occasionally. Go and have a beer, turn your screen off, relax, and come to the conclusion not everyone is going to agree with you and tell you what a great guy you are.

Last edited:
When I disagreed with you on “your thread”, you told me I had to go and make my own thread. I did that, and still here you are......

I'm happy using my spare note5 with it. Nice 6.5 inch screen. Bright and all. I think I would rather buy the googles instead.

We know you hate the Smart Controller. We also pretty much know one will never be produced with Apple jelly inside (unless the rumor in another forum of Apple buying dji proves true). And you probably would not be happy even if they made one with a larger screen since it would not have apple jelly and not be backward compatible with the Wright Brothers airplanes. (g)

Hate is an emotion. I use reason and logic to assess my opinion about something.

It’s not really my prediction or theory, but something I have read from numerous sources. I also don’t make it my business to predict what drones are coming out in the near future, I leave that to others who like to roll that way.

Yet you make statements such as "I also believe that the plan is for the sc to be compatible with future drones."

I have come to the opinion that you like to be an expert and really dislike it when people don’t agree with you. Dude, you don’t like the smart controller. I do. So you can keep trying to bring me down by making yourself sound like the expert. It’s not going to change my opinion. I personally think your loose a few screws and maybe spending too much time with your mavics. 3000+ Repairs Since 2016 (about 20 a week, every week, for 3 years), 50 odd posts here a day and trying to drum up “likes”, like a teenage girl on instagram, plus I’m assuming you get some time to fly occasionally. Go and have a beer, turn your screen off, relax, and come to the conclusion not everyone is going to agree with you and tell you what a great guy you are.

Correction, my obtuse contrarian. I dont like to be an expert. I have earned that distinction by working on Mavics, and pretty much every other drone DJi has produced. And contrary to your opinion, Im actually here to help people. I do so on a daily basis for free, and part of that includes advising them on what to buy and what not to buy. People seem to like my opinion here. Go figure.

Oh, by the way, the number is over 4000 drones that I have bought sold and repaired, and triple that number in posts and threads that I have advised for free here on Mavicpilots.

I enjoy plenty of activities in my spare time (of maybe 1 hour a day). What do I do the rest of the time? Help people for free here, contribute to volunteer organizations, fly drones daily, and teach people how to fly every single week of the year.

And what is your raison d'etre?

I personally think your loose a few screws and maybe spending too much time with your mavics. 3000+ Repairs Since 2016 (about 20 a week, every week, for 3 years), 50 odd posts here a day and trying to drum up “likes”, like a teenage girl on instagram, plus I’m assuming you get some time to fly occasionally. Go and have a beer, turn your screen off, relax, and come to the conclusion not everyone is going to agree with you and tell you what a great guy you are.

I disagree with you that I am loose a few screws. Its definitely more than a few, plus some marbles as well. Getting old isnt easy but I do what I can to stay as sane as possible.

3000+ (actually 4000+) is drones only. I have been repairing RC for over 45 years, so add probably 2000 other RC types of repairs including cars, trucks, boats, helis, planes, and custom RC creations. Im also an avid RC car racer, and enjoy onroad VTA and TC classes and offroad buggies and short course trucks.

Yes I do get time to fly, every single day. Cold, hot, flown in every condition because I dont have a choice. I also teach drone search and rescue people how to use Litchi. Next meeting is June 8, 2018. It's almost full already, so I hope people get their names in soon.

Go and have a beer, turn your screen off, relax

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately my drinking days are over. Maybe you can go out and have one for me.

I try to make Sunday my relaxation day, but have trouble switching off. I agree that everyone needs a day off sometimes, but for me, during the warmer weather when people are flying and crashing, its simply not an option. I might get a day off in October.

Hate is an emotion. I use reason and logic to assess my opinion about something.
I stand, well, at the moment, sit, corrected. You have YOUR reasons why you do not like the SC. Those reasons might sway and/or inform others. But there are others who really appreciate the convenience, simplicity, size and brightness of the SC. Those are my reasons why I like ("like" is too emotional), well, appreciate it. I am not alone.

If DJI never comes out with a larger version or a more universal version, some might have missed the opportunity to appreciate the current SC for months or even a full year. Yes, I do understand like my phones, my tv's, my new car and even my prosaic toaster oven, a newer, brighter, shinier, perhaps better version will be out next week, month or year. Got to get on board sometime or wait till SOMETHING better is offered or obviously, stick with the tried and true, cell/tablet/mounting-device/cables....

I am glad I'm not monkeying with the unwieldy conglomeration that I had before the SC.

You have YOUR reasons why you do not like the SC. Those reasons might sway and/or inform others.

I agree, and its your and others posts that could sway them into buying one. All this swaying is getting me dizzy. ;)

If DJI never comes out with a larger version or a more universal version, some might have missed the opportunity to appreciate the current SC for months or even a full year.

On the other hand, if it aint broke, dont fix it. There are many people out there who are using their phones, tabs, iPads, Crystalskys with no regrets at all. I will concede that next year, when Smartcontrollers are selling for $300 - $500 used, they might sell more of them used. But, the buyers market will still be slim for them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverbobomalem