DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller Stress Cracks?

I just noticed I have one above my mode selection switch(T P S). I thought it was a scratch until I put a little pressure on it and it revealed itself. my controller lives in a hard case and has seen no abuse.
Hello
I have noticed cracks on my smart controller during the last four months (near joysticks). Still under warranty so I will probably return. Maybe I can get the new Rc Pro controller as a replacement? Has anyone ever seen t

Attachments

• D712F652-465A-489F-85E1-960F8AC2C836.jpeg
    D712F652-465A-489F-85E1-960F8AC2C836.jpeg
    636.5 KB · Views: 10
I just notice the same cracks on mines first it was on the left side thought it was a scratch now on bothe sides and the left one is getting wider. Has anyone contacted DJI about this?
I just sent my controller back. It's totally cosmetic, but unacceptable for a $750 controller. I have noticed the cracks got worse over time. I will let you know what they say. Thanks for the reply!

I sent my controller back and just heard from DJI. They said it is cracked and it it's gonna cost me $97 to replace the plastic case. They said according to the assessment, physical damage is not covered under warranty.

There is no way I could crack the plastic with normal use. I bought this in August 2021. I requested if I could speak with someone on the phone. These cracks started like small looking scratches. I'll keep you posted.

Reactions: Nigelpugh7
I sent my controller back and just heard from DJI. They said it is cracked and it it's gonna cost me $97 to replace the plastic case. They said according to the assessment, physical damage is not covered under warranty.

There is no way I could crack the plastic with normal use. I bought this in August 2021. I requested if I could speak with someone on the phone. These cracks started like small looking scratches. I'll keep you posted.
There is no way I caused these cracks. It's always in a hard case and rarely used. I bought it in June 2021.

I'll bet the batteries are swelling and causing the cracks.

Lithium-ion cells can swell due to many reasons, but somehow the issue of deep discharge swelling and the related hazards with charging such a battery seem to be widely underestimated.

Common causes of battery swelling include:

1. Overcharge conditions which accelerate parasitic reactions between the electrodes and electrolyte, with release of heat and gases.
  2. Poor cell quality and design with low anode to cathode stoichiometric ratios, particulate contamination
  3. Mechanical damage to electrodes induced either during cell assembly or from the product application
  4. Excessive temperatures
  5. Deep discharge of cells

Last edited:

Did they offer to upgrade to the new version?

I just notice the same cracks on mines first it was on the left side thought it was a scratch now on bothe sides and the left one is getting wider. Has anyone contacted DJI about this?
When did you buy yours? Mine is only 9 months old and I have the same cracks. I think the Lithium Ion batteries are swelling and causing these cracks. They’ve been known to swell and cause problems in computers and other devices. Maybe they got a bad batch of batteries.

Did they offer to upgrade to the new version?

When did you buy yours? Mine is only 9 months old and I have the same cracks. I think the Lithium Ion batteries are swelling and causing these cracks. They’ve been known to swell and cause problems in computers and other devices. Maybe they got a bad batch of batteries.
U

That’s a pretty poor response from DJI!

We have four smart controllers in our fleet and only one, which is actually the newest one that came with our M2EA has these cracks.

Again our controller is just over 7 months old and only ever stored in the dedicated DJI M2EA case supplied as part of the kit.

They are clearly stress cracked caused by poor manufacturing and should be replaced under warranty.

We will be sending ours back and asking for a replacement which we don’t expect to have to pay for!

We have four smart controllers in our fleet and only one, which is actually the newest one that came with our M2EA has these cracks.

Again our controller is just over 7 months old and only ever stored in the dedicated DJI M2EA case supplied as part of the kit.

They are clearly stress cracked caused by poor manufacturing and should be replaced under warranty.

We will be sending ours back and asking for a replacement which we don’t expect to have to pay for!
That sounds just like mine. It must have come from the same batch. I'll bet the batteries are swelling and causing these cracks. That is a common problem with lithium-ion batteries.

I ended up paying for the repair. DJI discounted the original assessment. I paid $55 or $60 to get the smart controller fixed. I don't agree with it, but it was my word against theirs.

I paid the 94.00 under protest because I'm sure the batteries swelled and cracked the case. They sent me a new unit, but I still haven't received a refund.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d