DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart controller turned off while in flight after ~15 min use

mwardncsu

Reactions
Had not flown in several months and last night broke out the kit and charged my m2p batteries and also the smart controller while doing updates.

to my surprise the controller battery was fairly full but was in the charger for around 2 hours and when I turned it off said 99%.

Got up early to try and catch some sunrise pics. Ran the controller in the truck a while before enough light - maybe 10 min and a couple of 2 min flights to check light.

then launched and was In the air less than 5 min then the controller shut off with no notification - blinking one battery light. No control of drone. Fortunately it was set to return home and had a good lock -except it locked RTH at about 6’ above ground. Did. It have my regular controller and wasn’t sure how I’d get it out of the air - eventually was above to just grab it and pull it down / flip it over to turn off as the battery started to drain. Crisis adverted but has some panic moments there.

it was about 30 degrees out this am

Was the battery not fully charged and giving me a false level? Any way to check battery status and health of the SC? Not trusting it very much at the moment.

If I had my regular controller I assume I could have switched over to it? If so I’ll keep it in my kit from now on.

Had not flown in several months and last night broke out the kit and charged my m2p batteries and also the smart controller while doing updates.

to my surprise the controller battery was fairly full but was in the charger for around 2 hours and when I turned it off said 99%.

Got up early to try and catch some sunrise pics. Ran the controller in the truck a while before enough light - maybe 10 min and a couple of 2 min flights to check light.

then launched and was In the air less than 5 min then the controller shut off with no notification - blinking one battery light. No control of drone. Fortunately it was set to return home and had a good lock -except it locked RTH at about 6’ above ground. Did. It have my regular controller and wasn’t sure how I’d get it out of the air - eventually was above to just grab it and pull it down / flip it over to turn off as the battery started to drain. Crisis adverted but has some panic moments there.

Was the battery not fully charged and giving me a false level? Any way to check battery status and health of the SC? Not trusting it very much at the moment.

If I had my regular controller I assume I could have switched over to it? If so I’ll keep it in my kit from now on.

This is one of the those times where you need to check that the cable connection is secure and the controller is blinking when you walk away, we have a few connections where I had to wiggle the cable and had to replace it.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain
Coal

Reactions: zeusfl
This was in regards to the smart controller - what cable are you referring to on it?
The charging cable on the smart controller , when i plugged it into the outlet it said it was a slow charge than I tried another outlet it was fine , moral of the story it was not the outlets that were bad but the Charging cable.

Last edited:

Make sure you are using the dedicated wall wart charger that came with the SC.

You still need to reconnect your old controller. I changed to a SC and then I found my original controller no longer worked. So I will need to do a reconnect, but I believe when I do that, the SC will then no longer be connected. Maybe I have this wrong but I think that is how it works.

w
You still need to reconnect your old controller. I changed to a SC and then I found my original controller no longer worked. So I will need to do a reconnect, but I believe when I do that, the SC will then no longer be connected. Maybe I have this wrong but I think that is how it works.

Hummm - I though you can use both at same time now as well...

you can, duel remote where the std remote is the slave with limited functions, I have both running incase the sc craps out then I still have telemetry on the std remote to fly by

Reactions: ff22

I just had the same issue with my SC shutting down while in flight. Luckily RTH kicked in while I panicked trying to turn the controller back on.

The SC finally turned on and dropped back into DJI Go. I was able to get video feed and wait for it to RTH. After 30 secs I heard 2 quick faint buzzer chirps from the SC to look down to see the screen turn black with the power symbol in white then off.

Battery was at 95%

I recall hearing the chirps when the SC first turned off. The SC didn't feel hot to touch when I gave it a quick hand over.

I just had the same issue with my SC shutting down while in flight. Luckily RTH kicked in while I panicked trying to turn the controller back on.

The SC finally turned on and dropped back into DJI Go. I was able to get video feed and wait for it to RTH. After 30 secs I heard 2 quick faint buzzer chirps from the SC to look down to see the screen turn black with the power symbol in white then off.

Battery was at 95%

I recall hearing the chirps when the SC first turned off. The SC didn't feel hot to touch when I gave it a quick hand over.
Had you also recently done an update to the smart controller?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrantleyB