DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart controller update — just don’t bother?

Maverick Flyer

Reactions
All of the recent posts I’ve read about the smart controller update seemed indicate nothing but problems. I’m using mine with MP2, and have no problems with prior firmware. Is there any reason I can’t just continue to dismiss the update message and ignore the new firmware? I have no intention to ever use this with a MA2. Thanks!

All of the recent posts I’ve read about the smart controller update seemed indicate nothing but problems. I’m using mine with MP2, and have no problems with prior firmware. Is there any reason I can’t just continue to dismiss the update message and ignore the new firmware? I have no intention to ever use this with a MA2. Thanks!

There is no reason to have to update: You will just have to keep dismissing it , it wont go away.

I have been haveing a problem with the Smart Controller (Firmware: v01.00.0650 from 2020.01.10), that it doesn't keep operating system clock time very well. After a few days offline the clock gets several hours ahead, this doesn't seem to be gradual it just happens. I have the SC option selcted that the clock time wifi synchronizes, but that only happens every few days when I charge the SC. This means that sometimes when I download flight footage, the files are incorrectly time stamped.

This is a known issue and can attributed to the system clock just not keeping time well. With my SC, it seems to gain time quickly. A solution by DJI would be to synchronised system time is with GPS, or to implement a smart correction factor.
I could get onto wifi every time I fly to synchronize, but my phone in aircraft mode so that aircraft compass and SC wifi is not affected.
Has anyone that has this issue, know if it has been fixed somehow, perhaps with the Firmware update?
The new SC Firmware v01.00.0820 from 2020.09.22 has a changelog, and the only change documented is the Mavic Air 2 support.

Last edited:
Just had a look & my SC is actually showing the correct time after the update some days ago, first time for everything ?

Reactions: ff22

I used the following procedure you may have read about already.
I will copy this for you here.

For those who are having issues with the update, this solution is working for eveybody tried. I took me 2 hours to find out the processMake sure you have at least 50% battery

1- Reset the smart controller erasing all data
2- Do not connect it to WiFi
3- Go to settings, Display , Sleep and change to NEVER
4- Download the DJI Assistance 2 for Mavic here is the link. DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic- DJI Download Center- DJI
5- First open the DJI Assistance and then plug the USB C cable to the smart controller ON.
6- When the control ask for the USB configuration select CHARGING
7- Start the update to the last firmware.
8- The update will have 3 steps: Download, Transfer and Install the update. When installing will hangfor few minutes in 16% and 98% (is normal, just wait)
9- If everything goes fine at 98% the controller will reboot by it self and once boot you will see a DJI logo with a progress bar installing. Will reboot 3 times installing this update. This will take few minutes.
10- Once the controller boot again you should be ready to start Pairing the drone.
11- To pair the drone, go to Settings, Aircraft Management and Add the new drone
12- when the wizard indicate and stat beeping to pair the aircraft with the Mavic Air 2 on hold the power bottom for 4 seconds and will start paring.
13- this should complete the process.

Note: if you turn on the WIFI for any reason, the firmware will try to download automatically and will fill the memory and you will have the memory full error. You will have to Reset to factory and try again.

Thanks to
zeusfl
who provided this . It worked like a charm

Just wanted to mention that I updated mine a couple of days ago, and it was quite painless. I just turned the display to "always on" before I started and made sure it was fully charged. I installed using the assistant 2, and all went great. It took a quite a while, but worked good. After it was done the M2Z was still linked fine and flew fine. Now if I go into aircraft management, there's about 6 or 7 different aircrafts available to link to, including MA2, enterprise, enterprise dual, phantom 4, as well as the mavic 2's. I don't plan on ever adding any either, but it looks like a pretty decent update. Only time will tell.

Reactions: Texbow
I tried various ways of doing the update. OTA just kept restarting and was a PITA.

On a Macbook pro, including installing the Windows version (VMWare Fusion Pro) of the DJI Assistant didn't work with a USB-C to USB-C, however, when I used the Apple Multi-adapter for USB-C (HDMI, USB-C and USB-B) with a USB-B to USB-C it worked the first time...

Just did not seem to like the USB-C to USB-C cable - which is a high-quality cable, and the same one I use between the Smart Controller and the Epson Glasses which works perfectly...

Go figure...

Reactions: Icelandman
I have been haveing a problem with the Smart Controller (Firmware: v01.00.0650 from 2020.01.10), that it doesn't keep operating system clock time very well. After a few days offline the clock gets several hours ahead, this doesn't seem to be gradual it just happens. I have the SC option selcted that the clock time wifi synchronizes, but that only happens every few days when I charge the SC. This means that sometimes when I download flight footage, the files are incorrectly time stamped.

This is a known issue and can attributed to the system clock just not keeping time well. With my SC, it seems to gain time quickly. A solution by DJI would be to synchronised system time is with GPS, or to implement a smart correction factor.
I could get onto wifi every time I fly to synchronize, but my phone in aircraft mode so that aircraft compass and SC wifi is not affected.
Has anyone that has this issue, know if it has been fixed somehow, perhaps with the Firmware update?
The new SC Firmware v01.00.0820 from 2020.09.22 has a changelog, and the only change documented is the Mavic Air 2 support.
I've noticed a clock issue with time-stamps on my photos; it's always an hour behind. I've check the clock setting on the SC and it all appears correct. Have you tired manually setting the clock? I think I might try that.

Reactions: Icelandman
I used the following procedure you may have read about already.
I will copy this for you here.

For those who are having issues with the update, this solution is working for eveybody tried. I took me 2 hours to find out the processMake sure you have at least 50% battery

1- Reset the smart controller erasing all data
2- Do not connect it to WiFi
3- Go to settings, Display , Sleep and change to NEVER
4- Download the DJI Assistance 2 for Mavic here is the link. DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic- DJI Download Center- DJI
5- First open the DJI Assistance and then plug the USB C cable to the smart controller ON.
6- When the control ask for the USB configuration select CHARGING
7- Start the update to the last firmware.
8- The update will have 3 steps: Download, Transfer and Install the update. When installing will hangfor few minutes in 16% and 98% (is normal, just wait)
9- If everything goes fine at 98% the controller will reboot by it self and once boot you will see a DJI logo with a progress bar installing. Will reboot 3 times installing this update. This will take few minutes.
10- Once the controller boot again you should be ready to start Pairing the drone.
11- To pair the drone, go to Settings, Aircraft Management and Add the new drone
12- when the wizard indicate and stat beeping to pair the aircraft with the Mavic Air 2 on hold the power bottom for 4 seconds and will start paring.
13- this should complete the process.

Note: if you turn on the WIFI for any reason, the firmware will try to download automatically and will fill the memory and you will have the memory full error. You will have to Reset to factory and try again.

Thanks to
zeusfl
who provided this . It worked like a charm
Is there a solution if the SC is not detected/recognized by the DJI Assistant 2, on Windows in my case? I've tried for several days but Assistant 2 does not detect it when connected. I've tried every conceivable connection/powerup sequence and nothing. Windows does see the SD card and I'm prompted on the SC on the connection type I'd like to use so I know there's some communication working just not with DJI's update app.

I hate seeing that firmware update banner nag.

Nothing of interest beyond MA2 compatibility. For me that was a big deal though, truly fabulous as I use both M2P and MA2 and prefer not to bother with cables, tablets, phones, mounts, etc etc.

Reactions: PURSUER01
I've noticed a clock issue with time-stamps on my photos; it's always an hour behind. I've check the clock setting on the SC and it all appears correct. Have you tired manually setting the clock? I think I might try that.
Lucky you! Mine is sometimes 5 hours behind. I have to check the time every time I use it (and usually have to change it!)

I don’t have an Air 2 but out of curiosity do you have to link each drone every you change the one you are flying ?
no, you just select the aircraft from Aircraft Management and it connects to it in 10 sec. And only if you switch aircraft since last time you used it, otherwise it will connect automatically as usual. Completely transparent and user friendly.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
I had no issues with the update. I too have no intention of purchasing a Mavic Air but it seems (I could be wrong) that staying up with the updates makes it easier for future updates that might have something beneficial to use with the Mavic Pro 2.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Is there a solution if the SC is not detected/recognized by the DJI Assistant 2, on Windows in my case? I've tried for several days but Assistant 2 does not detect it when connected. I've tried every conceivable connection/powerup sequence and nothing. Windows does see the SD card and I'm prompted on the SC on the connection type I'd like to use so I know there's some communication working just not with DJI's update app.

I hate seeing that firmware update banner nag.
So the DJI-labeled USB cable I was using was not the correct DJI USB cable required for firmware updates. I found the correct cable in the recesses of my backpack and the update completed fine. So... special cable I guess. ?

I tried your advice on deactivating "automatic date and time - use network provided time" and setting the clock manually.
I think that between the "automatic date and time" and the summer/winter time correction (Android Version is 7.1.2) cause sudden hour changes to the clock.

I have only lost a few minutes since deactivating this "automatic date and time" setting, and have left the "select time zone" to my location.

The Android OS is not made by DJI, so who knows if bothering to update actually would fix the issue. I still do not want to bother with a Smart Controller update.

Did updating your SC help with the time issue?20201003_110336.jpg

I tried your advice on deactivating "automatic date and time - use network provided time" and setting the clock manually.
I think that between the "automatic date and time" and the summer/winter time correction (Android Version is 7.1.2) cause sudden hour changes to the clock.

I have only lost a few minutes since deactivating this "automatic date and time" setting, and have left the "select time zone" to my location.

The Android OS is not made by DJI, so who knows if bothering to update actually would fix the issue. I still do not want to bother with a Smart Controller update.

Did updating your SC help with the time issue?
No, the update did not address the issue. With GMT-4:00 Eastern Daylight Time set, if I enable "Automatic date & time" the clock jumps an hour ahead. :confused:

I have decided not to upgrade to this firmware. There is no need for it as I never plan to own the Mavic Air 2. DJI, in the past has never added "new" features to any of their drones via firmware that I am aware of. They "have" added features that were initially announced with a product but were not available at launch, like waypoints on the Mavic 2 Pro or zoom. I don't believe that there are any features at time of announcement that have not been since added to the Mavic 2 Pro line. I realize that if you own the Mavic Air 2, and a SC, this update is very relevant and would be worth the risk of a bricked unit.

I have never enjoyed the upgrade process with any of DJI's products, especially the SC. The process takes way too long even with Assistant 2 connected to a Mac or PC and the documentation from DJI is very lame (as the point about the screen going black during an upgrade due to the device timing out which cancels the update and you have to start over).

No PC or Mac or really another device that uses firmware, needs to be "reset" to factory standards before you do the upgrade. And the SC should not be any different.

The only "feature" I was hoping to see with this firmware was the time clock fix, which is apparently still not fixed. The "bugs addresses" that DJI always puts out there in their statement, what are the bugs? They never list them. Again something that most companies do in a FAQ published with the firmware.

The previous firmware is working great for me, gets me what I need. I guess that's where I will stay a I have no desire to be current if the process involves the 13 steps. And I do appreciate the member who posted the detail post with those steps, DJI could learn a few things from that.

Paul C

Reactions: Crashdummytest
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3