DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller vs iPad Mini 5

PhotoDB

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Wondering about the value of purchasing the Smart Controller when I move up to the Mavic 3. Compactness is obviously a factor, but compared with the bigger screen of the iPad Mini5, can anyone give me some other pros or cons to consider. I've never even seen or held the Smart Controller, hence my elementary question. Thanks.

No longer recommending the Smart Controller. It is buggy at best and DJI has decided to not support the thing in any way that really matters. Even their own tech support folk ask me what phone I am using when trying to get help with the danged thing.

Wondering about the value of purchasing the Smart Controller when I move up to the Mavic 3. Compactness is obviously a factor, but compared with the bigger screen of the iPad Mini5, can anyone give me some other pros or cons to consider. I've never even seen or held the Smart Controller, hence my elementary question. Thanks.
This really is a very important question for me as I eagerly anticipate the release of the Mavic 3. I fully intend to buy the better Mavic 3 but not really sure I want to give up my big Apple iPad 9 inch with nice big image. Anybody out there in our forum is welcome to advise me. I do plan to sell off the Mavic 2 Pro since I really only need one drone of that quality. I will probably eventually sell off my Mavic mini 2.

I only bought it to travel with and sneak through customs but found the mini 2 very hard to adjust the photo and video light settings and am sorry now I didn't take the big Mavic 2 with me to Africa. For future travel I will just bite the bullet and take the better drone.

Dale
Miami

I happen to be vacationing around the country at this time. I have my drone (M2Z) along with the Smart Controller in a Nunuk case with everything needed. When I want to fly I can take it out and 30 seconds later it's fired up and ready to go. It's a nice small compact unit with a bright screen that I've had since shortly after they were released. I have never had any problems with it whatsoever and it has always functioned flawlessly. No multiple devices to carry along and charge, and no cables or fancy mounts to mess with. It's strictly a personal matter, but I wouldn't buy a new drone of any brand, unless it has some sort of a smart controller or a controller with a built-in screen of some sort.

I use the iPad 5 it’s bigger in screen and cheaper, the SC can be better then what it is. I would like to see a LED 9” screen. But it needs to be better and cheaper

How bright is the Ipad 5 compared to the SC? I don't care how big a screen you may have, if it is not very bright then it is useless, especially in bright light conditions. I would far more prefer a smaller and brighter screen that you can actually see in bright conditions, over a larger less bright screen.

I seriously doubt your iPad 5 has a 1000 nit screen brightness. I have the M2Pro and use a SC and the ease of use it great, just carry two things and you are ready to go, with no fiddling turning on three screens, worrying about the state of three different batteries, having to fiddle with all the arms as you try to fit the phone into the grips of the controller, then being careful not to damage plugs as you plug in your cables to connect the phone to the standard controller.

I just take out the nice feeling comfortable well balanced SC turn it on and turn on my drone and I'm ready to fly in seconds. And the screen is very bright. I would not go back to the old world of fiddle, to fly. I agree that a larger screen would be nice but I can live with what I have plus when I need an even brighter screen that is larger (7 inches) I connect my Feelworld 729S monitor and have 2,200nits of brightness, for those days when I need that extra size and brightness.

Last edited:
If "you" can view that tiny screen - then a SC can be a consideration due to being compact and not requiring all the setup / takedown required for using a tablet. A friend has one and no way could I fly with that small screen.

While my 10' tablet is large & bulky; I can at least see most of what I'm seeing from the camera while in flight. I think the SC wins in "nits" category over most tablets or maybe it's just the small screen and something of a hood on it.

Personally I would not buy an SC for reasons stated above. Those with 2 mile VLOS eyesight and no strobes can def use one, but not me. Also cost is kind of high, esp if you already have a tablet and setup already.

I bought a Smart Controller last spring, mostly because I was having trouble seeing the screen of my iPad Mini in sunlight but also because I liked the idea of fewer cables to lose.

I've used it for about 10 hours of flying, and I've been happy with it. For me, the smaller screen is offset by it being much brighter. I bought one of those Pygtech covers so I don't have to take the control sticks off, so setup really is just a matter of taking the cover off and turning it on.

I would prefer a bigger screen, but at least I can actually see this one without having to squint.

Reactions: KJack91986
Appreciate all the replies - sounds like a number of you have had great results and I only hear one person saying they don't like it. Looks nice and compact, and sure would be nice to only charge one device - that sounds attractive.

i have a mini5 and really don’t mind the cable or tablet holder. I have a good sun screen as well. There is a problem with the iPhone and iPad in the heat and sun. The iOS devices will go into overheat and you will get a black screen. Gotta say it is a little scary first time. You reall have to trust RTH if you lose VLOS which is easy to do depending upon your orientation to the bright 🌞

Reactions: Kentucky Ranger
i have a mini5 and really don’t mind the cable or tablet holder. I have a good sun screen as well. There is a problem with the iPhone and iPad in the heat and sun. The iOS devices will go into overheat and you will get a black screen. Gotta say it is a little scary first time. You reall have to trust RTH if you lose VLOS which is easy to do depending upon your orientation to the bright 🌞
Thankfully you never have to be concerned about overheating and black screen situation with a Smart Controller. Another reason to consider it, I suppose.

Mini6 is next on the list. Brightness is solved by a big _ _s hat. Mini in the unit that I want, just not available for probably another two months.
Oh well, Christmas is coming.
The sc is nice also for several platforms. I’m skipping the m3, just not a fly app fan.

I happen to be vacationing around the country at this time. I have my drone (M2Z) along with the Smart Controller in a Nunuk case with everything needed. When I want to fly I can take it out and 30 seconds later it's fired up and ready to go. It's a nice small compact unit with a bright screen that I've had since shortly after they were released. I have never had any problems with it whatsoever and it has always functioned flawlessly. No multiple devices to carry along and charge, and no cables or fancy mounts to mess with. It's strictly a personal matter, but I wouldn't buy a new drone of any brand, unless it has some sort of a smart controller or a controller with a built-in screen of some sort.
I agree. I love my SMART controller, because it’s solidly built, has a very bright screen, and makes setups quick and easy.
While a tablet has a bigger screen, they completely wash out in bright sunlight, whereas the SMART controllers screen is crisp, and easy to see, even in bright sunlight.
I’ve flown for a little over a year with it, and haven’t had any issues.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka