DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart controller

The DJI Smart Controller is compatible with the Mavic 2 Series line of drones (Pro, Zoom, and Enterprise) and I believe the Phantom 4 (not sure of this though.. Unfortunately, this will not work with older Mavics such as the Pro, Air and Spark, which is a bummer. DJI said it will eventually become compatible with Air 2 through a firmware update but they have been making this promise for some time and it has not yet come to fruition.

My Phantom is over three years old and uses Lightbridge.

SC works with Phantom 4 Pro V2 which uses Occusync. V1 and P4 standard used LightBridge tech. ;) So as of today the SC supports 5 aircraft the P4 Pro V2, Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom/Ent editions. And now the MA2. It would be a safe bet the SC will support the much awaited but never promised M3 series as well :cool:

I’m in agreement with those who has the SC the screen ease of getting up in the air is amazing.it is pricey but well worth it
Same. I bought mine a few months ago in anticipation of it being supported, but have only been able to use it (a lot) in DJI's simulator. Now that I can actually use it with my drone, it's truly a game changer.

I know DJI's simulator doesn't get much love, but it works with the SC and the free version gives you 3 different levels that allow you to practice your maneuvers. It's made me a substantially better and more confident pilot. If you get the SC, do yourself a favor and get the simulator working as well.

Reactions: darkproximity
Im surprised I haven't seen a solid vote for the iPad setup.

Here in South Florida I went to a DJI store where the salesman stepped outside to show me "how bright" the screen was at peak afternoon. Once outside hes covering the screen with his hand ans turning away from the sun and says "see? Awesome right?" ?

It definitely is brighter than the iPad mini 4 I use but can the Smart Controller send/receive content to clients or friends? Can the SC use KittyHawk? Can you screen record on the SC?

These are questions I havent been able to find a solid answer for therefore i feel like ipad is more versatile as a a device and for the price range compared to SC

I use Litchi for the majority of my flights so I guess that the SC is a non starter for me??

Im surprised I haven't seen a solid vote for the iPad setup.

Here in South Florida I went to a DJI store where the salesman stepped outside to show me "how bright" the screen was at peak afternoon. Once outside hes covering the screen with his hand ans turning away from the sun and says "see? Awesome right?" ?

It definitely is brighter than the iPad mini 4 I use but can the Smart Controller send/receive content to clients or friends? Can the SC use KittyHawk? Can you screen record on the SC?

These are questions I havent been able to find a solid answer for therefore i feel like ipad is more versatile as a a device and for the price range compared to SC

can the Smart Controller send/receive content to clients or friends? Yes you can.
Can the SC use KittyHawk? web base yes you can.
Can you screen record on the SC? yes you can its built in the OS and also you can install apps for this.

You should give the shot to a SC.

Reactions: Romulus Archibald
I have the Ipad Pro 11 inches and has a gorgeous screen, but as more i fly with the smart controller more i like it.

I have 4 drones and the more i fly is the M2P because the convenience with the smart controller. I guess i will fly more my MA2 once is compatible. Is easier go out with just the drone, few extra batteries and the Smart controller without have to carry cables, tablet holder + install everything at the field, bulky etc... Flying from my balcony i dont mind because everything is at home.
I sold mine I just couldn't get the range out of mine and the places I would fly they wouldn't get even close to the same range always different sorry so sold mine

Many people have range problems because are not pointing correctly the antennas. The smart controller antennas needs to point to the ground. Facing the flat part of the antenna to the aircraft. That's is the only trick with the smart controller.

Reactions: LoganAir
Is the smart controller worth buying or just keep using a I pad.

I Purchased the Smart Controller for use with the Mavic Air 2 as soon as the updated firmware became available.
I Have to say I am very disappointed.
The signal keeps dropping out and is not near as reliable as the controller that came with the Drone. The original Controller was pretty rock solid link wise. I have done several data resets and still have the same problem. I also find that the screen is not much brighter than my Samsung phone. I don't believe this Controller is worth the cost. I have only had the Controller for a few days and have already lost confidence in it. I have contacted DJI in relation to returning it and am awaiting a reply.
Is this just an issue with the MA2 or Has anybody else had the same issues?

Last edited:
Are you pointing the antennas to the ground ? The majority of people make the mistake point the antennas up. Check this video.

I Purchased the Smart Controller for use with the Mavic Air 2 as soon as the updated firmware became available.
I Have to say I am very disappointed.
The signal keeps dropping out and is not near as reliable as the controller that came with the Drone. The original Controller was pretty rock solid link wise. I have done several data resets and still have the same problem. I also find that the screen is not much brighter than my Samsung phone. I don't believe this Controller is worth the cost. I have only had the Controller for a few days and have already lost confidence in it. I have contacted DJI in relation to returning it and am awaiting a reply.
Is this just an issue with the MA2 or Has anybody else had the same issues?
As above, antenna alignment is different than the "normal" controller. As far as brightness, I have a Samsung Note 8 that is (spec -wise) the same brightness as the smart controller. Yes, the phone is as bright but here is the difference, the smart controller is cooled and will keep that brightness when it gets hot! The Note 8 (and every tablet and phone I have tried) will dim down when hot/in direct sunlight... To reference, I live in Phoenix, AZ so my experience is the extreme! Many other advantages using the Smart Controller besides the screen but if you don't use them and operate in areas where the extreme sun/heat isn't an issue, then I could see how you might not see the value.....Again check your antenna placement. I get at least the same range as the regular controller but it does have noticeably better penetration when the signal is going through trees, other things

Reactions: zeusfl
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929